Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The Howl

Re: The Howl

Kids, listen to your Uncle Roy....

There were things I like back in the day like denim jackets, peace buttons, VW bugs, and Simon and Garfunkel. They were cool and they stood the test of time to be classic. I look back and say yeah.

There were other things I liked like elephant bell bottoms, huge muttonchop sideburns, leisure suits, and wide ties. I thought they were cool when I wore them. Time has not been so kind to them. I look back and say ohhh geez.

My 60 years on this earth have given me some perspective on which categories things fall into. Listen to me.... time will not be kind to the howl. Give it up while you still have a chance.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-18-2013),919191 (04-19-2013),Always Red (04-18-2013),Caveat Emperor (04-18-2013),cincinnati chili (04-19-2013),lollipopcurve (04-19-2013),OesterPoster (04-18-2013),Red in Chicago (04-19-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (04-19-2013),remdog (04-19-2013),Revering4Blue (04-19-2013),RichRed (04-19-2013),westofyou (04-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

My wish is that every fan who dares to howl in GABP be immediately turned into a Cubs fan and banished to Wrigley Field. Maybe they really are Cubs fans to begin with. Yes, that has to be it and explains everything.

5. Likes:

757690 (04-19-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (04-18-2013),cincinnati chili (04-19-2013),George Anderson (04-18-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (04-19-2013),remdog (04-19-2013)

Last game I went to there were two drunk hillbilly guys sitting right in front of me woooing the whole game. Every time they did it they would stand up in front of me, even when nothing eventful was happening. They were also swigging liquor out of little pint bottles they had smuggled in.

These people literally attend games as an excuse to get wasted and scream "WOOOOO". They don't seem to care about baseball very much.

We actually got up and moved to other seats because they were so annoying.

7. Likes:

remdog (04-19-2013)

My solution to the problem is not ejection, it's liberal use of duck tape.

9. Likes:

remdog (04-19-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I find it funny. Now that I know how much it annoys people, I think I'll do it next time I'm in Cincinnati.
    Amusingly, I used to do the same thing when I was 5 and discovered things that annoyed my parents on long car trips.

Then I stopped being 5.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

757690 (04-19-2013),Always Red (04-19-2013),alwaysawarrior (04-19-2013),George Anderson (04-18-2013),jhiller21 (04-18-2013),jmac (04-18-2013),malcontent (04-19-2013),mikdavrut (04-18-2013),OnBaseMachine (04-19-2013),Red in Chicago (04-19-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (04-19-2013),RedsLvr (04-19-2013),remdog (04-19-2013),texasdave (04-18-2013),Tom Servo (04-19-2013),WVRedsFan (04-19-2013)

I get the EI package, so I watch alot of games. The other night I was surfing through the EI channels and I stopped at some game I can't remember. The howling was going on there too. Don't know if it's just coincidence or if it is becoming a national fervor hitherto unseen since the hula hoop.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

ban me now redszone, I am a fan of the woooooooooo.....I especially like the mullet guy from last year doing the wooo....he should be given comp tickets to each and every game right behind the plate......he should be at every game just as Teddy should be the bat boy at every game....some things just are made for Reds baseball and Teddy and wooing mullet guy are staples in my baseball memory bank.

This thread has convinced me. Before entering the game we need ticket-holders to take an I.Q. test, a smell test (to prove they have washed recently), give them a haircut if necessary (i.e. they have a mullet), check their I.D. to see if they live in a rural area or not (a good way to weed out those darn hillbillies), and provide them with a list of acceptable noises they can make during the game.

If they fail one or more of these tests, their mouths will be duct taped. If they appear to be especially suspicious, their vocal chords will be severed just in case.

Thus, none of us will ever be annoyed by the actions of another person while attending a major league baseball game surrounded by tens of thousands of people.

Okay, I think I might have heard it on TV yesterday a couple times while listening for it. I don't know what I'm supposed to be listening for though. I was imagining a long, low, wolf-like howl; but if its the high-pitched "yipping" that I heard, then God that is annoying.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    ban me now redszone, I am a fan of the woooooooooo.....I especially like the mullet guy from last year doing the wooo....he should be given comp tickets to each and every game right behind the plate......he should be at every game just as Teddy should be the bat boy at every game....some things just are made for Reds baseball and Teddy and wooing mullet guy are staples in my baseball memory bank.

Although, I was not around for the BRM, nor do I remember the 90 WS, I (and I'd hope other younger Reds fans) will vehemently reject the last part of that sentence. There are so many more great memories to fill your "bank" from just the past few seasons...

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Amusingly, I used to do the same thing when I was 5 and discovered things that annoyed my parents on long car trips.

Then I stopped being 5.
    Amazing how that doesn't happen for some.

19. Likes:

remdog (04-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Then I stopped being 5.
    Interestingly enough, it was around that same age that I learned to ignore the instigatory actions of others!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    This thread has convinced me. Before entering the game we need ticket-holders to take an I.Q. test, a smell test (to prove they have washed recently), give them a haircut if necessary (i.e. they have a mullet), check their I.D. to see if they live in a rural area or not (a good way to weed out those darn hillbillies), and provide them with a list of acceptable noises they can make during the game.

If they fail one or more of these tests, their mouths will be duct taped. If they appear to be especially suspicious, their vocal chords will be severed just in case.

Thus, none of us will ever be annoyed by the actions of another person while attending a major league baseball game surrounded by tens of thousands of people.
    Nice to have you onboard!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I hate to be "that guy", but in my opinion much of it has to do with the lack of attendance. I was at the game on Wednesday night and GABP was so empty that everyone could hear themselves wooh. I was upperdeck behind the plate and could hear people from the bleachers plain as day. If the crowds were bigger there would be more white noise and maybe more pressure for people not to do it. Wed the attendance was announced at 17,000 and change. I'd guess there was more like 10,000-12,0000 in actual attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

You realize that "unwashed" was used as a metaphor correct?

Btw: its the Reds game, " tens of thousands" is probably just as large of an exaggerated statement as the ones you've listed

WOOOOOOOOOOO

Turn Off Ads?