Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Howl

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: The Howl

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You haven't sat by someone doing it then. It is a big deal. It is insanely annoying and distracting.
    I think you are overreacting a bit. I've never heard this iteration of the woo at a baseball game, but I've heard woo girls do it a billion times. It's not that annoying.

Drunk people yell all sorts of stuff at baseball games. When I came to town in 2010, some big drunk guy kept yelling "Hey Gomes, let's rock and roll!" in the left field seats. That guy drank like a million beers that night.*

* - May have been me.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-19-2013),Blitz Dorsey (04-19-2013),reds44 (04-19-2013),RichRed (04-19-2013),Tom Servo (04-19-2013),Tommyjohn25 (04-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You haven't sat by someone doing it then. It is a big deal. It is insanely annoying and distracting.
    You control your own reactions to things. You determine whether something annoys you or distracts you.

I liked the vuvuzelas at the world cup because it was a glimpse into another culture. Would I hate it at an actual match if I attended? Probably. But I would respect it as tradition in the stadium I was visiting. It was representative of how things were done differently in South Africa.

Nothing about the woo is even remotely traditional. It was started by some drunken yahoos in an extra inning game, somehow picked up steam and has carried on. It isn't clever, funny, enjoyable, or anything representative of Reds baseball. For hundreds of years baseball has been played in Cincinnati without people "Wooing" for no reason. You know what players like? CHEERING. Support for your home team. Going nuts on big plays. Lots of noise leading up to a big moment. You actually think players like random fans cowling at the top of their lungs!?

I can't believe it's still going on. It's embarrassing really. Try explaining to an outsider why your fans are randomly yelling. It's impossible. There is no reasoning behind it. I think the people that do it and the people that support it get a kick out of seeing people get upset and embarrassed about it, and that's what's caused it to keep going. It's just people screaming for attention, and it's pathetic in my opinion.

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-20-2013),George Anderson (04-19-2013),malcontent (04-19-2013),OesterPoster (04-20-2013),Red in Chicago (04-19-2013),remdog (04-19-2013),texasdave (04-20-2013)

The Woo is the worst thing to happen to Reds baseball since Corey Patterson.

Or Jim Edmonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Nothing about the woo is even remotely traditional. .
    This makes Ric Flair cry.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I liked the vuvuzelas at the world cup
    See, I KNEW there had to be one out there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    You control your own reactions to things. You determine whether something annoys you or distracts you.
    When a family of morons are sitting directly in front of me, doing it the entire game at the top of their lungs, I find it terribly annoying, period. It totally distracts from my enjoyment of the game.

The problem with the wooing is that it has replaced the old-fashioned, family-friendly heckle. At least a good heckler adds some variation and (occasional) humour.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'm much more annoyed and distracted by some of the stuff the Reds constantly play on the PA. Whatever that "come on come on come on" thing is needs to die a quick death.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

13. Likes:

919191 (04-20-2013),RichRed (04-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'm much more annoyed and distracted by some of the stuff the Reds constantly play on the PA. Whatever that "come on come on come on" thing is needs to die a quick death.
    Amen to that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I liked the vuvuzelas at the world cup because it was a glimpse into another culture. Would I hate it at an actual match if I attended? Probably. But I would respect it as tradition in the stadium I was visiting. It was representative of how things were done differently in South Africa.

Nothing about the woo is even remotely traditional. It was started by some drunken yahoos in an extra inning game, somehow picked up steam and has carried on. It isn't clever, funny, enjoyable, or anything representative of Reds baseball. For hundreds of years baseball has been played in Cincinnati without people "Wooing" for no reason. You know what players like? CHEERING. Support for your home team. Going nuts on big plays. Lots of noise leading up to a big moment. You actually think players like random fans cowling at the top of their lungs!?

I can't believe it's still going on. It's embarrassing really. Try explaining to an outsider why your fans are randomly yelling. It's impossible. There is no reasoning behind it. I think the people that do it and the people that support it get a kick out of seeing people get upset and embarrassed about it, and that's what's caused it to keep going. It's just people screaming for attention, and it's pathetic in my opinion.
    Try this: we had an insanely long extra inning game last year, the stadium was 95% empty and people started randomly wooing (which pretty much everyone found funny) and it just stuck.

Wow, that was impossible.

People go to sporting events all the time and yell things that if you really think about it are stupid and annoying. I find the constant playing of fight songs and college games to be annoying. The organ at Wrigley annoys the pee out of me. Grown men heckling other grown men? Very stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-20-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I control my reactions, but I can't control what annoys or distracts me.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I definitely hear where you're coming from, but I'd love to see someone yell in your ear with a blowhorn while you're driving and see if you still have the same viewpoint. I'm pretty sure that would "distract" you and it would be out of your "control." Might even "annoy" you, although I would use a stronger word.

The idea that humans can always control their reactions to things is faulty. There are many times we can control our reactions, but certainly not always.

But yes, as it pertains to the "woooing" ... people can absolutely control whether or not that bothers them.

My reaction is to turn my TV volume to mute. Did it for Nick Greens at bat in the fourth today. The woos are like nails on a chalkboard. I don't want to react that way but I do. I'd rather enjoy the sights and SOUNDS of normal baseball going fans.

The Wooomorons freedom of speech ends when the majority finds it offensive. Letter/petition to Castellinni should go out this week. I will be requesting his staff kick them out after one warning. Will post link to petition asap.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

20. Likes:

757690 (04-20-2013),malcontent (04-20-2013),smith288 (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    My reaction is to turn my TV volume to mute. Did it for Nick Greens at bat in the fourth today. The woos are like nails on a chalkboard. I don't want to react that way but I do. I'd rather enjoy the sights and SOUNDS of normal baseball going fans.

The Wooomorons freedom of speech ends when the majority finds it offensive. Letter/petition to Castellinni should go out this week. I will be requesting his staff kick them out after one warning. Will post link to petition asap.

I donīt like it either... why screaming something stupid if you could use your voice to support the team. as german, Iīm used to soccer fans who support their team with singing songs.

Turn Off Ads?