Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 477

Thread: The Howl

  1. #406
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm not saying a lot of you don't find it annoying or you shouldn't even find it annoying. That's not a reason to ban something though. There has to be a legitimate reason. You can hate it all you want, just as many people hate the wave. But for somebody to suggest it should somehow be banned is crazy.
    It's not crazy if it disrupts the television viewing and in-park viewing experience for a significant (and I think it's safe to say, majority) portion of your fan base. I'm guessing there have been at least a few tickets that have gone unsold due to the woo. I'm not going to say that amount is material, and I have nothing to justify that, but I'm guessing there are people out there that have decided not to go to games because of a bad experience they had with the "woo", i.e. sitting directly behind someone doing it. Maybe it's offset by people that want to go to the game and woo, who knows, but it's annoyance is clearly significant enough to warrant complaints from a LOT of different people (fans, players, media, you name it).

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #407
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That's not a reason to ban something though. There has to be a legitimate reason. You can hate it all you want, just as many people hate the wave. But for somebody to suggest it should somehow be banned is crazy.
    The Wave doesn't interfere with our enjoyment of the game on TV and radio. Wave all you want during the 80 games I won't be in the ballpark this year. Do it during the national anthem if you have to. I'll never be the wiser from here.

    Just cut it out with the howling!
    /r/reds

  4. #408
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,892

    Re: The Howl

    Hypothetically, lets say the Reds had a crazy fan base and there was a section or two filled with UC and/or Xavier students and they wanted to treat it like a college basketball game. Whenever the Cubs were batting, they were yelling and doing chants and such. I think the A's actually have something like that, not necessarily with college students but just a crazy section in the outfield. Would you want that to be banned? You can hear it on TV and when in the ballpark so it must "disrupt" the viewing on television and the in park experience, no?

    I highly doubt anybody here would want that. Which brings us back to the point people want it banned because they find it annoying, which is not even close to a legitimate reason to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The Wave doesn't interfere with our enjoyment of the game on TV and radio. Wave all you want during the 80 games I won't be in the ballpark this year. Do it during the national anthem if you have to. I'll never be the wiser from here.

    Just cut it out with the howling!
    It certainly interferes with the enjoyment of the game when you're at the ballpark. People randomly standing up in front of you while you're trying to watch the game is much more disruptive than somebody making noise.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-23-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

  5. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-23-2013)

  6. #409
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: The Howl

    If only it were a Howlin Wolf howl, or Werewolves of London ... as howls go, it's pretty weak.

  7. Likes:

    Roy Tucker (04-23-2013)

  8. #410
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,280

    Re: The Howl

    If the woo is really enough to keep somebody from watching on tv or attending the games, that's pretty sad. I'm not crazy about it and certainly don't participate in it, but if somebody shells out good money for a ticket, why can't they woo? I just don't see what the big deal is, really.

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-23-2013)

  10. #411
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Next up for those defending "The Howl"

    Defense of cut off shorts on men

    Defense of bringing a spit cup into your car

    Defense of any song by Triumph

    Defense of the head slap in pee wee football
    Of course, the people complaining about the howl are the same kind of people we can thank for having to sneak a cigarette into a bathroom stall because there is no smoking allowed anywhere in the ballpark.

    Just because it's not something you approve of doesn't mean you should try to tell me how I can live my life...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 04-23-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  11. Likes:

    REDblooded (04-25-2013)

  12. #412
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,839

    Re: The Howl

    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it either, but I also certainly wouldn't advocate banning it or throwing someone out of the ballpark either. That's dumb.

    Heck, I was a wise butt once and liked tweaking people's noses about things and being rebellious and saying and doing things that hacked people off. So if you want to make an idiot of yourself, have at it. But I'll also give you the skunk eye and say its stupid. Get off my lawn, punk.

    Hopefully we will come to some kind of adult-like resolution without first amendment rights getting violated or fistfights breaking out or mass revolts in leafy streets of Cincinnati. After all, we are all Reds fans and I would like to think that common thread supercedes all.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  13. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-23-2013), RichRed (04-24-2013)

  14. #413
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,629
    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Of course, the people complaining about the howl are the same kind of people we can thank for having to sneak a cigarette into a bathroom stall because there is no smoking allowed anywhere in the ballpark.

    Just because it's not something you approve of doesn't mean you should try to tell me how I can live my life...
    Screw your smokes in a public place

    Said the ex smoker

  15. #414
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Screw your smokes in a public place

    Said the ex smoker
    I don't even smoke. We're all confused!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  16. Likes:

    westofyou (04-23-2013)

  17. #415
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Of course, the people complaining about the howl are the same kind of people we can thank for having to sneak a cigarette into a bathroom stall because there is no smoking allowed anywhere in the ballpark.

    Just because it's not something you approve of doesn't mean you should try to tell me how I can live my life...
    It's not about being something you approve of or about telling someone how to live their life. No one is saying you can't smoke at GABP because it's bad for you, or anything like that. They do it because it has a negative effect on other paying customers who do not smoke. In a similar way, the howling can have a negative effect on other paying customer's experience.

    For the record, I'm not arguing for it to be banned. I don't think that's really possible to control. I just think it's idiotic, and I believe people are doing it now simply because it's idiotic, for attention, and because they know it irks people.

  18. #416
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: The Howl

    Seems like a lot of people are overcomplicating this.

    The "howlers" are really just saying "look at me" and/or "I can annoy you if I feel like it 'cause it's fun!".

    I'm fine looking if what they're doing is funny. It's just not.

    And it gets very old after hearing it over and over.

    If you're going to draw attention to yourself, at least be funny. This is just kind of sad.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  19. Likes:

    Always Red (04-24-2013), BlackPete Ibold (04-24-2013), Homer Bailey (04-24-2013), Number_Fourteen (04-26-2013), OesterPoster (04-24-2013), OnBaseMachine (04-25-2013), oneupper (04-24-2013), RANDY IN INDY (04-24-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (04-24-2013), Revering4Blue (04-26-2013), RichRed (04-24-2013), Roy Tucker (04-24-2013), texasdave (04-24-2013)

  20. #417
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,006

    Re: The Howl

    Thunder Sticks Are Banned At Most Stadiums Because They Are Loud And Annoying...Not Because They Are Dangerous

  21. Likes:

    Always Red (04-24-2013), RANDY IN INDY (04-24-2013)

  22. #418
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    88

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Seems like a lot of people are overcomplicating this.

    The "howlers" are really just saying "look at me" and/or "I can annoy you if I feel like it 'cause it's fun!".

    I'm fine looking if what they're doing is funny. It's just not.

    And it gets very old after hearing it over and over.

    If you're going to draw attention to yourself, at least be funny. This is just kind of sad.
    I agree completely.

    I think this is exactly why it seems to get "worse" or louder during weeknight/day games, and especially during extra innings. Those that are still around want that attention--and can get it easier due to the limited fans still in the stadium.

    At Monday's game, I saw people that didn't do it the entire game but once it hit the 11th inning, they wouldn't stop howling.

  23. #419
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,248

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Some people here actually want the ushers to KICK PEOPLE OUT for using their 1st amendment.
    This is so wrong I am amazed people actually think this way.
    I don't think you understand what the 1st amendment is. Please go back and reread it.

  24. #420
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Thunder Sticks Are Banned At Most Stadiums Because They Are Loud And Annoying...Not Because They Are Dangerous
    So Are Umbrellas What Is Your Point?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25