Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ignore Functionality

Ignore Functionality

Just a quick question about the ignore function.

Is there any way, within the function, to ignore posts quoted by someone that you're ignoring? I realize there may not be, but if someone you're ignoring is regularly quoted by others, it sort of defeats the purpose of the function.

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ignore Functionality

I understood, but unfortunately, since you wouldn't have the quoting poster on ignore, there is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I understood, but unfortunately, since you wouldn't have the quoting poster on ignore, there is not.
    Exactly the ignore function is targeting content created in the users window attached to their profile, thus when the user is quoted the content is now assigned to the profile of the user quoting the blocked person.

It's good in theory but in practice it's not ever going to work the way we'd all want to work.

IF all users had a unique GUID that was attached to every piece of content (as metadata) that they created on the site then an across the board ignore function could use the guid as the source to block.

But that would be a lot of programming for someone.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Exactly the ignore function is targeting content created in the users window attached to their profile, thus when the user is quoted the content is now assigned to the profile of the user quoting the blocked person.

It's good in theory but in practice it's not ever going to work the way we'd all want to work.

IF all users had a unique GUID that was attached to every piece of content (as metadata) that they created on the site then an across the board ignore function could use the guid as the source to block.

But that would be a lot of programming for someone.
    I kind of assumed that's what the user ID was for at the end of the URL for our individual pages.

I believe that's the post number in the thread which numbered as well

Most sites that have membership have unique guids that are database tools, not user surfaced

Example, we use guids on our sites as crosswalks in data merges, it's in essence a unique key that allows us to match up users in lists

I figured as much. Thanks for the response.

Personally, I think functionality is important and shouldn't be ignored.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Kinda unrelated but kinda is, is it possible to block a member from sending pm's to you?

I got a pm yesterday from a member with a 'holier than thou' attitude. I don't know if he's someone that escaped the Sun Deck but shouldn't have. I just know that I'm not that interested in someone that I don't talk to sending me a pm telling me how little he thinks of me instead of just talking to me like a normal person. I could tell him what he could do with his opinion but why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Kinda unrelated but kinda is, is it possible to block a member from sending pm's to you?

I got a pm yesterday from a member with a 'holier than thou' attitude. I don't know if he's someone that escaped the Sun Deck but shouldn't have. I just know that I'm not that interested in someone that I don't talk to sending me a pm telling me how little he thinks of me instead of just talking to me like a normal person. I could tell him what he could do with his opinion but why bother.
    I could be wrong, but I though the ignore function also blocked PMs from the user, but since I'm probably the guy you're talking about, you'll never know that secret (insert evil laugh). Ok, ok, so it's probably not me. I hope.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'm really not sure; as wolfboy said, I would think ignoring a user would also block his or her PMs, but it may be an all or nothing thing.

Turn Off Ads?