Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton to CF is a safe bet IMO

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Billy Hamilton to CF is a safe bet IMO

I feel as if it's a foregone conclusion that Billy Hamilton will move to CF and will eventually be the Reds' leadoff hitter/CF for years to come.

All the signs point to this IMO:

1. The club appears to have finally given up on the idea of Drew Stubbs as the everyday CF and someone that bats atop the lineup. He has been replaced by Chris Heisey and it looks like that's the approach the Reds will take with them into the playoffs.

2. While it's Heisey's job now, I don't think the club views him as the long-term answer at CF. I think they like him as a No. 4 OF.

3. The Reds have a solid starting SS in Zack Cozart who is only 27 years old. Cozart is very-good defensively and decent offensively for a SS. And if you believe that Cozart will naturally improve over his offensive numbers as a rookie, the Reds should be set for years at SS with a solid performer.

4. The club also has what looks to be a good long-term solution as the backup SS -- and even someone that could perhaps push Cozart for the starting role one day -- in Didi Gregorius.

5. While Hamilton has never played OF before, there is a long list of players that have moved from SS to CF. Robin Yount is the first that comes to mind. There are dozens of others. Baseball people believe that if you can play SS, you can play almost anywhere else on the field. With Hamilton's incredible speed and relatively-strong arm, he could be a great fit in CF.

6. CF is a "need" position for the Reds going forward (see: their pursuit of Denard Span and others before the deadline, before realizing the price was too high ... this is if you believe reports from mlbtraderumors.com, ESPN and many others).

7. SS is not a "need" position for the Reds going forward.

Add it all up and I expect to see "Slidin' Billy" open the 2013 season as the Pensacola Blue Wahoos' CF. Maybe Louisville, but I think they'll start him at Double-A to begin next season.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 09-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton to CF is a safe bet IMO

I'd like to see him in CF in the AZ Fall league and then continue it in the minors. Have Eric Davis show him the ropes in CF. If I recall correctly Eric made the transition from SS to CF at some point. We need him as our CF and leadoff hitter badly. The question now is how do we address CF in Cincinnati for 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd like to see him in CF in the AZ Fall league and then continue it in the minors. Have Eric Davis show him the ropes in CF. If I recall correctly Eric made the transition from SS to CF at some point. We need him as our CF and leadoff hitter badly. The question now is how do we address CF in Cincinnati for 2013...
    IIRC, he is going to the fall league to play the outfield.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I think you're right, mostly because of points 3 and 4. My buddies and I were talking about this last night--it's unfortunate that in an era when the infield should be pretty set for the next 5 years (Frazier, Cozart, Phillips, Votto, Mesoraco) that the prospects knocking on the door are all infielders.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IIRC, he is going to the fall league to play the outfield.
    8. He is going to the Arizona Fall League to play OF.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

When does the AZFL usually start in the Fall?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    When does the AZFL usually start in the Fall?

Looks like the team that has the Reds players will start their schedule October 9th. Didi Gregorious is also playing this fall. I'll have to keep track of Hamilton in this league. It will be interesting how he fares.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....cid=490&y=2012
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He had an OBP of over .400 in AA. Challenge your hitters, coddle your pitchers is the mantra. I'd rather start him out in AAA if we can, particularly if he has a good Fall with decent CF defense, with a hope of trying to get him to majors by mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    He had an OBP of over .400 in AA. Challenge your hitters, coddle your pitchers is the mantra. I'd rather start him out in AAA if we can, particularly if he has a good Fall with decent CF defense, with a hope of trying to get him to majors by mid season.
    Yeah, more I think about it, starting him at Louisville next season is the way to go.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I also endorse the idea of having Eric Davis be his personal instructor.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I'm okay with challenging hitters, but I'm also a believer that development goes better when players are only tasked with one major challenge at a time. Switching positions is a big deal and I'm cool with letting him get comfortable in CF before he gets promoted again.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm okay with challenging hitters, but I'm also a believer that development goes better when players are only tasked with one major challenge at a time. Switching positions is a big deal and I'm cool with letting him get comfortable in CF before he gets promoted again.
    I get what you're saying, though there's not a lot to learn about playing centerfield. See the ball, catch the ball. There's some adjustment in learning angles and reacting to the ball off the bat, but really most of the position is about instincts. There's not a lot to learn mentally.

I don't think it's really a big deal switching to CF. It's not a foregone conclusion he'll have the instincts to hack it out there, but there's not much of a learning curve.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I get what you're saying, though there's not a lot to learn about playing centerfield. See the ball, catch the ball. There's some adjustment in learning angles and reacting to the ball off the bat, but really most of the position is about instincts. There's not a lot to learn mentally.

I don't think it's really a big deal switching to CF. It's not a foregone conclusion he'll have the instincts to hack it out there, but there's not much of a learning curve.
    Wily Mo, who was never confused with a gold glove outfielders always said it was easier to play CF than the corners. My guess is it's simply learning to read if the ball is over your head or in front of you. Left and Right is much easier and of course you don't have to worry about any angles in corners.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    1. The club appears to have finally given up on the idea of Drew Stubbs as the everyday CF and someone that bats atop the lineup. He has been replaced by Chris Heisey and it looks like that's the approach the Reds will take with them into the playoffs.
    Maybe, but I'll be surprised if Stubbs doesn't get any more starts the rest of the season or in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    3. The Reds have a solid starting SS in Zack Cozart who is only 27 years old. Cozart is very-good defensively and decent offensively for a SS. And if you believe that Cozart will naturally improve over his offensive numbers as a rookie, the Reds should be set for years at SS with a solid performer.
    I wouldn't get carried away with expectations about his possible offensive improvements. He could improve some but probably not alot.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

Well, you're right, it won't necessarily take very long. But I'm still in favor of leaving him at a level where he knows he can hit until he starts coming to the ballpark feeling like a center fielder in reality instead of a center fielder in training, especially since he hasn't really had that many at-bats in Double-A.

Mostly, I'm not completely comfortable pronouncing him ready for the challenge-thy-hitters fast track yet. He's had to come an awfully long way to get where he is and the switch-hitting thing is still a work in progress. I believe more time in the forge will pay off for him in the long run. He may prove me wrong, that'll be fine.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?