Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton to CF is a safe bet IMO

Re: Billy Hamilton to CF is a safe bet IMO

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Well, you're right, it won't necessarily take very long. But I'm still in favor of leaving him at a level where he knows he can hit until he starts coming to the ballpark feeling like a center fielder in reality instead of a center fielder in training, especially since he hasn't really had that many at-bats in Double-A.

Mostly, I'm not completely comfortable pronouncing him ready for the challenge-thy-hitters fast track yet. He's had to come an awfully long way to get where he is and the switch-hitting thing is still a work in progress. I believe more time in the forge will pay off for him in the long run. He may prove me wrong, that'll be fine.
    I'm also not convinced he's ready for the majors. I'd like to see one more year of development, personally. My point is mainly just that I don't worry about the defensive aspect. He should, theoretically, have center down by opening day if he plays it in the fall and spring. So if he's not ready for the majors, I assume it will be a hitting issue.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Maybe, but I'll be surprised if Stubbs doesn't get any more starts the rest of the season or in the playoffs.

I wouldn't get carried away with expectations about his possible offensive improvements. He could improve some but probably not alot.
    Yeah, no one's getting carried away. I said Cozart would be a solid performer for years to come. "Solid" is getting carried away now? I feel as if you're giving us the worst part of your stand-up act with comments like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I think you're right, mostly because of points 3 and 4. My buddies and I were talking about this last night--it's unfortunate that in an era when the infield should be pretty set for the next 5 years (Frazier, Cozart, Phillips, Votto, Mesoraco) that the prospects knocking on the door are all infielders.
    Agree with Hamilton to CF.

None of the other prospects "knocking at the door" are really starting caliber. I guess you can make a case for DiDi, who could also be traded this offseason if some team really sees him as a starter, but Henry Rodriguez is a backup utility, pinch-hitter type who looked lost in AAA this year.

No one else is really knocking at the door. The next closest infielder would be Pensacola 3B David Vidal who still has at least another year in the minors before he'll really be considered, and he's hardly a top prospect.

Other than Hamilton who we all seem to agree is likely ticketed for CF, all of the Reds impact prospects in the upper minors are pitchers. That's a good thing IMO.

Assuming Hamilton sticks in CF, the only position really left to address for the next several years is LF. Donald Lutz has been playing there in Pensacola, but most reports indicate he's more of a 1B than a LF. Everyone else is below AA and several years away from making an impact in Cincinnati.
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-12-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yeah, no one's getting carried away. I said Cozart would be a solid performer for years to come. "Solid" is getting carried away now? I feel as if you're giving us the worst part of your stand-up act with comments like that.

You also said:

And if you believe that Cozart will naturally improve over his offensive numbers as a rookie, the Reds should be set for years at SS with a solid performer.
    I'm just not expecting alot of improvement. That's all. He is what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with Hamilton to CF.

None of the other prospects "knocking at the door" are really starting caliber. I guess you can make a case for DiDi, who could also be traded this offseason if some team really sees him as a starter, but Henry Rodriguez is a backup utility, pinch-hitter type who looked lost in AAA this year.

No one else is really knocking at the door. The next closest infielder would be Pensacola 3B David Vidal who still has at least another year in the minors before he'll really be considered, and he's hardly a top prospect.

Other than Hamilton who we all seem to agree is likely ticketed for CF, all of the Reds impact prospects in the upper minors are pitchers. That's a good thing IMO.

Assuming Hamilton sticks in CF, the only position really left to address for the next several years is LF. Donald Lutz has been playing there in Pensacola, but most reports indicate he's more of a 1B than a LF. Everyone else is below AA and several years away from making an impact in Cincinnati.
    I agree Henry Rodriguez isn't a lock to be a starter, but shouldn't we give his AAA season a pass due to a hand injury?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I agree Henry Rodriguez isn't a lock to be a starter, but shouldn't we give his AAA season a pass due to a hand injury?
    Yeah, I'm including HankRod, Gregorious, Vidal, and Hamilton, since the center field thing hasn't actually happened.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

If Hamilton is going to play OF in the AZL, then a move to CF is more than a safe bet. I would hope this has more to do with something positive (e.g. the Reds LOVE Gregorious) than being impatient with a young SS (because almost all of them require patience when it comes to their fielding).

As for pushing Hamilton, it seems to me that he still needs to add a little more power before he's ready to terrorize the majors. From what I gather he's been working on driving the ball more during the past year. What the Reds should avoid is pushing him up to the majors and him slapping the ball just to survive.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If Hamilton is going to play OF in the AZL, then a move to CF is more than a safe bet. I would hope this has more to do with something positive (e.g. the Reds LOVE Gregorious) than being impatient with a young SS (because almost all of them require patience when it comes to their fielding).

As for pushing Hamilton, it seems to me that he still needs to add a little more power before he's ready to terrorize the majors. From what I gather he's been working on driving the ball more during the past year. What the Reds should avoid is pushing him up to the majors and him slapping the ball just to survive.
    I may be in the minority but he's one guy I'm not concerned about increasing power. All I want is for him to be able to reach 1st base. Once there he can "increase his power" by stealing bases. In other words he can turn singles into doubles and triples. From what I've read, he's being coached to not hit for power i.e. pound the ball into the ground and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I may be in the minority but he's one guy I'm not concerned about increasing power. All I want is for him to be able to reach 1st base. Once there he can "increase his power" by stealing bases. In other words he can turn singles into doubles and triples. From what I've read, he's being coached to not hit for power i.e. pound the ball into the ground and run.
    I agree. I don't care if the leadoff hitter hitter has no power as long as he is getting on base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I agree. I don't care if the leadoff hitter hitter has no power as long as he is getting on base.
    My worry is that he is going to leave OB on the table if he doesn't develop a swing that can keep fielders honest and make pitchers think twice about pounding him with hard stuff. I'm not looking for him to become a power hitter, but if he can drive a ball past an IF who's too close or into an OF gap that could make him lethal (and I assume we want maximum lethality from him).

My worry is that he is going to leave OB on the table if he doesn't develop a swing that can keep fielders honest and make pitchers think twice about pounding him with hard stuff. I'm not looking for him to become a power hitter, but if he can drive a ball past an IF who's too close or into an OF gap that could make him lethal (and I assume we want maximum lethality from him).
    I don't think most people feel he's a finished product yet. Hopefully something like that will come with maturity. But I'm talking more about taking walks.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That's the big question in my mind. It was great to see him walking a lot this year, but will his patient approach just be a ticket to a whole bunch of two strike counts in the show? I'm still not quite sure what to think of Hamilton offensively.

I don't think most people feel he's a finished product yet. Hopefully something like that will come with maturity. But I'm talking more about taking walks.
    I also think he'll draw more walks if pitchers are leery of him blasting a ball into gaps and galloping around the bases. Got to scare them away from the heart of the strikezone.

I also think he'll draw more walks if pitchers are leery of him blasting a ball into gaps and galloping around the bases. Got to scare them away from the heart of the strikezone.
    Absolutely. Pitchers are going to pitch carefully to him to begin with since if they do walk him it is basically a double. I just don't want to see him thinking about hitting a homer every time up. That's what doomed Pokey Reese. It would be easy for him to come in here and after hitting some BP homers he starts thinking he's a power hitter. More Ricky, less Pokey.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Absolutely. Pitchers are going to pitch carefully to him to begin with since if they do walk him it is basically a double. I just don't want to see him thinking about hitting a homer every time up. That's what doomed Pokey Reese. It would be easy for him to come in here and after hitting some BP homers he starts thinking he's a power hitter. More Ricky, less Pokey.
    Hamilton doesn't even hit homers in BP, so I don't see that becoming a problem.

Turn Off Ads?