Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Which NBA team is headed for Seattle?

Which NBA team is headed for Seattle?

I doubt the local authorities would pony up 200 million unless they were reasonably sure some team was headed their way.

The Seattle City Council has agreed to a deal that would build a $490 million arena that could host NBA and NHL teams.The King County Council previously approved the plan that calls for $200 million in public money.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz26C1oZC7f

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Which NBA team is headed for Seattle?

The Kings. Sacramento, a proven market, is getting the shaft, though.

The arena deal in Sacto fell apart at the last minute thanks to the Malgoof brothers.

But, if the Kings must move, Seattle makes more sense than Anaheim. You're not going to see three teams in SoCal unless the third one is in San Diego. And, nothing against OKC, but it remains a joke that Seattle lost the Sonics in the first place.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The Kings.
    Then again, maybe not.

The NBA has confirmed a committee of owners unanimously recommended the league deny the Kings' application to relocate to Seattle on Monday.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/2107/keith-smart

Not that I want it happen, but I suspect that the Bucks, who play in an outdated Arena, will now become the prime target for Seattle.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Maybe Seattle will get an NBA team, but I suspect the NHL is its prime target.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I don't follow all the ins and outs but a lot of talk about moving the Phx Coyotes. The talk had been Canada but.....

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Maybe Seattle will get an NBA team, but I suspect the NHL is its prime target.
    Apparently the main Seattle guy Hansen had the NBA team as his main focus. I think he saw an NHL team in a "buy one, get one half off" way.

As someone who just left Charlotte, NC, after a few years, I can honestly say the Bobcats could leave tomorrow and almost nobody would care. They should move to Seattle.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Bobcats are locked into a long term lease. They are not going anywhere, especially with MJ as principal owner.

Frankly, I don't believe that they "should" move. Charlotte has proven in the not too distant past that it will support a well-run team. For the most part, the Bobcats have failed in that regard. But that's what happens when you focus on "proven" college stars on draft day, instead of swinging for the fences.

No wonder the franchise is stuck in the mud.

That stated, it's time for Stern and company to right a wrong by granting an expansion franchise to Seattle, who never should have lost the Sonics in the first place.

Oh I know the Bobcats won't move, I'm just saying the apathy towards the team is off the charts. Maybe an actual rebuilding plan and a return to the Hornets name could help, but I think MJ is a pretty terrible owner and I just don't see the franchise getting unstuck from the mud, to paraphrase you, anytime soon.

I completely agree with your point though, Seattle shouldn't have lost the Sonics and deserve a team now.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Reports are that Seattle was offered an expansion team if they drop there pursuit of the Kings, not sure how much truth there is in that as Stern has denied any expansion plans at this time.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/4...cramento-kings
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh I know the Bobcats won't move, I'm just saying the apathy towards the team is off the charts. Maybe an actual rebuilding plan and a return to the Hornets name could help, but I think MJ is a pretty terrible owner and I just don't see the franchise getting unstuck from the mud, to paraphrase you, anytime soon.

I completely agree with your point though, Seattle shouldn't have lost the Sonics and deserve a team now.
    I think the Bobcats could be good depending on what kind of breaks they get. They have two good young pieces in Michael Kidd Gilchrist and Kemba Walker and will likely get a top 3 pick in this years draft. Take Nerlens Noel if he is available and wait out the rehab. They will likely have another top 3 pick and if they win the Wiggins sweepstakes could be scary good.

PG-Kemba Walker
    SG-Michael Kidd Gilchrist
    SF-Andrew Wiggins
    PF-Bismack Biyombo
    C-Nerlens Noel

Not a bad team on paper.

As for the Sonics, I think its time for two expansion teams. One in Seattle, the other in either Kansas City or Louisville.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'd rather have the Royals back, over the Sonics (Though both eventually). Then a team renaming project so team names make sense again. The Bobcats go back to the Hornets, the New Orleans Hornets go back to the Jazz instead of the Pelicans, Utah gets Toronto's name and Toronto does whatever it wants because nobody cares about Canada (Though they could always go back to the Huskies, like they were from 46-47). The only team name I wouldn't put back, would be Timberwolves back to Lakers - just becasue L.A. people would freak.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-01-2013 at 03:01 PM.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    I'd rather have the Royals back, over the Sonics (Though both eventually). Then a team renaming project so team names make sense again. The Bobcats go back to the Hornets, the New Orleans Hornets go back to the Jazz instead of the Pelicans, Utah gets Toronto's name and Toronto does whatever it wants because nobody cares about Canada (Though they could always go back to the Huskies, like they were from 46-47). The only team name I wouldn't put back, would be Timberwolves back to Lakers - just becasue L.A. people would freak.
    There is an amusing thread at boards.sportslogos.com about the exact same thing. You've almost echoed the thoughts of some on there verbatim.

Expansion seems like the most plausible way of getting the sonics to Seattle. I would mind the Cincinnati Royals either.
    Witty signature.

Rotoworld's Aaron Bruski reports the NBA's Board of Govenors has officially voted down the proposed sale and relocation of the Kings to Seattle.

The long, drawn-out Seattle saga is finally over -- at least with the Kings, who will remain in Sacramento and be sold to a group headed by Vivek Ranadive. The NBA's relocation committee recommended against relocating the Kings to Seattle during an April meeting. There was a recent report that that Chris Hansen's Seattle-based group had struck back-door deals to still purchase the team from the Maloof family, but Wednesday's vote officially puts that idea to bed. David Stern is expected to confirm the report at a news conference shortly. May 15 - 6:00 PM
    Source: Aaron Bruski on Twitter

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Expansion seems like the most plausible way of getting the sonics to Seattle. I would mind the Cincinnati Royals either.
    That would be incredible. Would also serve as incentive for the city to build a new arena finally.

Turn Off Ads?