Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Aroldis injury: change your opinion on role?

Aroldis injury: change your opinion on role?

I'm curious if the 'dead arm' issue for Chapman this week changes your opinion on whether he should start. The implication here is that as a starter, he'd be in a routine and the Reds would be able to build up his arm through muscle memory. Pitching as a reliever can obviously be stressful to some pitchers as they might pitch five times in a week and then not be used more than once the next.

Curious if those of you who wanted him in the bullpen have changed your mind or perhaps if this injury is a reason someone wants to keep him there?

Personally, I'm advocating his going back to the rotation even more but not just for the aforementioned reason. I think with the emergence of J.J. Hoover, the possibility of retaining Broxton and/or Madson, and having Marshall and possibly even Masset, the bullpen should be plenty strong without Chapman back there.

Hoover especially looks very promising thus far. The only concern for me is that he surrenders a lot of fly balls, though he also is inducing a ton of infield flies.

At this point, I'd personally trade Bailey and replace him with Chapman. The bullpen has plenty of options for next year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aroldis injury: change your opinion on role?

I'm in the Chapman should start camp, but trying to tie his arm soreness to his being in the bullpen is bunk. Throwing a baseball is an unnatural motion. Injuries are going to happen no matter what role a guy is used in.

I'm in the 'try him as a starter' camp and have been all along. As you said, there's plenty of bullpen options. As fun as it has been to have a lights out closer, I'm in favor of anything that maximizes Chapman's talent and that is the starter's role.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Is his shoulder actually sore? I thought is was just tired.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

My offseason chain of events wish list is:
    1. IF Madson is healthy, sign him to be the closer.
    2. Sign Broxton to be either setup or emergency closer.
    3. Trade Bailey and a huge package for a pressing need - leadoff, cleanup, power, pitching, etc. Opens up a starting spot in the rotation.
    4. Move Chapman into the starting rotation.

My fantasy dream trade would be to acquire Stanton (Miami) or Wright (Mets). Notice I said fantasy because I know both players are beloved by their fans and 99% staying put. I'd even be happier if we acquired both. LOL.

Dream lineup:
    CF B. Hamilton (SH)
    2B Phillips (RH)
    1B Votto (LH)
    3B Wright (RH)
    RF Bruce (LH)
    LF Stanton (RH) - Ludwick or Frazier actually
    SS Cozart
    C Hanigan

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Chapman
    SP Arroyo
    SP Leake

CL Madson
    RP Broxton
    RP Marshall
    RP Arredondo
    RP Hoover
    RP Cingrani (LH)
    RP LeCure

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    They are saying tiredness. Not really an injury.

I'm in the camp that it really doesn't matter. Chapman has proven he can be a lights out closer. Not many of those around. So if the Reds want to keep him there its fine by me. But if they want to try him in the rotation I wouldn't be at all opposed to it. He has the potential to be a Randy Johnson like starter. So if they want to give him a shot at starting next spring it would be fine by me. IMO, its a win-win situation for the Reds.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Depends on how he comes out of this situation. If it's just a blip or if it becomes a protracted problem. Actually, though, I think the 3rd and most important variable is the type of return the Reds can get for Bailey or Leake. I don't think the Reds will give either away and I don't think it bothers them to have a cluster jam of players for an extra year. Ergo, Chapman stays in the pen if they don't get what they want on the trade market.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Schilling on Baseball Tonight was talking about it. He said it is pretty normal at this point in the season. He suggested that if you don't pick up a ball for a couple of days and then do a little tossing your back in about a week.

To me this is just noise. Its kinda like the dead arm that pitchers go through early in the year. Some people make a big deal about it but it happens to most pitchers.

I think Aroldis should be left as a closer. As a closer, he is able to get by with only having the two pitches that he uses. If he was put into a starter's role, he's going to have to develop another pitch or two, one of which would likely be a breaking pitch of some sort. I think with all the twisting action that goes into the motion of a good breaking pitch would put more stress on Chapman's arm, especially considering that he would be looking at 5-6 plus inning durations as opposed to the single inning bursts that he's been subjected to as a closer.

Depends on how he comes out of this situation.
    Agreed. Too soon to judge.

Pitching once every 5 days and pitching 3-4 times a week are very different things.

We're not trying to convert Danny Graves here. The guy was a starter his whole life until the Reds turned him in to a reliever. That's not to say he can necessarily go 200 innings, but he doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm fine with starting him next year if he buys in. That means he needs to throw (and control) a lot more off speed pitches. I'm not sure if he can become more than a thrower but I'm fine finding out

Turn Off Ads?