Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dusty

Re: 2012 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dusty

Dusty is a genius when the Reds are having a good season and he's a problem when the Reds are having a poor one. The closer to reality position is that Dusty has little impact on the Reds record one way or the other.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hey, this thread is for strange love. Not for complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dusty is a genius when the Reds are having a good season and he's a problem when the Reds are having a poor one. The closer to reality position is that Dusty has little impact on the Reds record one way or the other.
    It also seems like he can be a problem when they are having a good season.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Great thread title, and good stuff. Dusty is not my favorite, but I think it's crazy to say he'll never win a world series because he's too stubborn. The guy had a 5-run lead late in a game 6 that would have won the world series.

Dusty has always had the people skills, and people skills are a huge necessity in the modern game. While I've never found exes and ohs or player evaluation to be his strength, I'm sure he's learned something after a couple decades of managing.

Also, I have to give credit where credit is due, Dusty has been driving the train since day 1 to put Chapman in the bullpen. I thought that was a dumb idea. It's kinda worked out.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Nice piece from an MLB.com writer

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

"I think he catches a lot of flak for the wrong things," Votto said. "I'm not going to be specific, but it's unfair. There are too many things that are complicated behind the scenes. A lot of people want things to be cookie-cutter and fall in line. He's very good at reading people and reading situations and playing things by ear. The safe play is not always the play he makes. But with his experience and read of people, I think he's ahead of the curve of what most fans and critics know about managing."
    Votto loves the Dusty. AND he reads baseball-reference!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Some nice takeaway quotes:

The Reds' clinching of the NL Central gives him five division titles with three teams. He took a Wild Card team, the 2002 Giants, to the World Series, and he managed the Cubs to within five outs of the World Series in 2003.

Although Baker was later blamed by some Chicagoans for anything and everything that went wrong with the Cubs, the club's records -- both prior and subsequent -- will indicate that no other manager of that team has come closer to the promised land in the last 67 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Some nice takeaway quotes:
    His best team didn't even win the division (1993 Giants)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

nice article on Dusty by Mark Schmetzer:
    http://www.cincymagazine.com/ME2/dir...148C7BB5215156

Folks inside the Reds organization wish fans could see the work Baker puts into his lineups — the scouting reports he studies and personal observations he records in notes of tiny handwriting while juggling injuries, who needs a day off, who is hot or not, whose batting strength does or doesn’t match up against the style of that day’s pitcher, what kind of defense his starting pitcher needs, and on and on. His players would like critics to get to know Baker off the field.

“It’s unbelievable what he does, off the field and on the field,” pitcher Bronson Arroyo says.

“Bringing food to guys. ‘You’re sick, I’m going to give you this.’ Sending flowers to somebody’s mom who’s not feeling well. It’s ridiculous. To me, that part that other people don’t know about – he’s far and away the greatest guy I’ve ever been around in the game.

“The other stuff he gets criticized for is the type of stuff everybody gets criticized for — par for the course. At the end of the day, when it comes to just the baseball stuff, you should be measured by wins and losses, and we’re having an unbelievable season. There shouldn’t be one bad thing being said about him in the social media, period.”

Right, because sending chicken soup and flowers and keeping notebooks makes it a smart idea to bat your worst hitters at the top of the lineup.

Dusty does a lot of great managing behind the scenes without question. He is a good manager. Even the best managers in the history of the game have done some things that were not correct. Every manager has strengths and weaknesses to discuss.

Just because a guy has managed good teams in the past and has a great personality and his players love him doesn't mean it is unfair to disagree with some of his moves. Dusty has said and done some really stupid things in his career, but he has done enough good things to override the bad things. Dusty has done a fine job, maybe even a great job, but that doesn't mean his every move is beyond reproach. It is possible to second-guess some of his moves without claiming he is killing the team.

The best thing a manager can do is apply for a job managing a team with great players. Players like Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Joey Votto can make a manager look like a genius.

Most of the criticism of Dusty is just gibberish, but some of it is spot on. Especially the backward lineups and the excessive bunting. These criticisms apply just as much today as they did when Dusty's teams were losing. After all, Dusty was the manager of the 2011 team that had a losing record. What has Dusty done this year that turned this team around that he didn't do last year? Why didn't he do it last year? How much of the credit for this year's success goes to Dusty and how much goes to Walt Jocketty and the stellar 2012 newcomers Mat Latos, Todd Frazier, Ryan Ludwick, Sean Marshall and Zack Cozart?

Baseball is a sport where the quality of the manager simply doesn't have that much affect on the win/loss record of the team. This isn't basketball or football where the coach must develop complex, innovative offenses and defenses, motivate and inspire the players, and recruit good players for the team. Being a major league manager is a pretty easy job compared to coaching in just about any other major sport. I would even argue that the pitching coach is more critical to the success of an MLB team than the manager is.

Dusty wasn't the reason the Reds were losers in 2011 and he isn't the reason the Reds are winners in 2012.

I hope Dusty gets back to 100% health soon and can lead the team to a glorious World Series victory.

Turn Off Ads?