Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Brando being called out for spreading a lie

Tim Brando being called out for spreading a lie

If you haven't heard about this yet, Brando was on his radio show Tuesday and was calling Urban Meyer arrogant because Brando claims Meyer demanded that the Buckeyes be allowed to play in the Big Ten Championship.

Wrong Brando! He was asked to provide a link to Meyer saying this, and Brando as of today still hasn't produced anything. Even some of his CBS colleagues are telling him he should apologize to Meyer and Ohio State for spreading what are obvious lies.

I know there are plenty of Buckeye haters out there, but you should read the link below. It's quite comical watching Brando get destroyed by Buckeye Nation.

I always thought reporting something with no factual basis was considered slander. But anyways it's pretty appaling to me that someone in the position Brando is in would simply make something up like this.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-...ye-nation.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tim Brando being called out for spreading a lie

Is he a reporter or is he a personality? I'm seriously not trying to be nitpicky towards your statement, merely pointing out that these days I think most people in Brando's place don't care about 'reporting' only making waves.

He probably LOVES that fans of OSU are trying to take him to task. You [and I] are here talking about it, which is what he wants. This is not about telling a lie or not telling a lie, its about listeners and advertisers.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

It doesn't matter what he is. I think even if those of us on RZ say something like that, they should apologize if they can't back it up

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Simply being unable to provide a link doesn't make it a lie. Unless he says he read it somewhere online.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Simply being unable to provide a link doesn't make it a lie. Unless he says he read it somewhere online.
    True, it's possible he thought he read it or took something out of context, but there doesn't appear to be anything remotely resembling what he's accusing Meyer of. It's hard to see how/where he got the impression that happened.

Still, it shouldn't be hard to reference whatever comment he thought Meyer made. That he hasn't done that sure doesn't bode well for his intentions.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Jerry, just remember. It's not a lie... if you believe it... - YouTube

He said he has "multiple sources", yet can't even show people one of those sources.

I'm not sure if you read the discussion on the link I provided, but halfway through it Brando goes from having multiple sources to saying it's his opinion.

And of course he is doing it for ratings. He knows how big and proud Buckeye Nation is of OSU and knew saying what he said would generate hits on his website and ratings on his radio show.

Still , it's nice knowing the guy got called out, again even by his CBS colleagues, for what is an obvious fictional event that never happened.

I mean if the guy has multiple sources shouldn't he be able to provide just one?

Let's not get hung up on the terminology. If he can't back it up, he's being very irresponsible for going public in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Is he a reporter or is he a personality?
    He anchors CBS's studio show, so in my mind that makes him a reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    He anchors CBS's studio show, so in my mind that makes him a reporter.
    If your going to be one of the major networks anchors you have to hold your self to a higher set of standards. It would be similar to Bob Costas, Jim Nantz, Dan Patrick, etc, spewing out this without backing it up with facts.

Isn't he the one who railed for weeks that OSU would get destroyed by UM in the NC game?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Isn't he the one who railed for weeks that OSU would get destroyed by UM in the NC game?
    Yes he is.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Said they would lose 48-14 or something along those lines. I don't remember the exact score but it was sizable.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's not get hung up on the terminology. If he can't back it up, he's being very irresponsible for going public in the first place
    Eh, I don't know. I have gone public with a few things before where there was no way I was going to give up the exact person who told me about it. It wasn't irresponsible on my part, because it was from a trusted source. Simply because I couldn't say who told me doesn't mean it never happened/was said.

This scenario apparently is quite different than the one I laid out, as apparently he went from having sources to saying it was his opinion.

Eh, I don't know. I have gone public with a few things before where there was no way I was going to give up the exact person who told me about it. It wasn't irresponsible on my part, because it was from a trusted source. Simply because I couldn't say who told me doesn't mean it never happened/was said.

This scenario apparently is quite different than the one I laid out, as apparently he went from having sources to saying it was his opinion.
    Let's get specific. If you go public with a quote from a famous person like the head coach from a school like OSU, you ought to be able to back it up. If you're not comfortable revealing the source then you ought not go public with it. Urban Meyer deserves the chance to defend himself. If we don't at least have that level of standards in journalism then we'll be at a point where we tune it all out because we can't decipher fact from fiction

Turn Off Ads?