Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this team use a bad boy image?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Could this team use a bad boy image?

Cy at Red Reporter brought up an interesting point in a post about the howl yesterday (http://www.redreporter.com/2012/9/12...ooooo-de-coeur), that maybe the Reds should embrace a bad boy identity, with the number of what you could call "rebel" personalities on the team. Start with the pitching staff:

Johnny Cueto ended a guy's career with a kick to the head.
    Mat Latos is tatted up from wrist to wrist and is, by all accounts, slightly unhinged.
    Arroyo is a loose-tongued rock 'n' roll wannabe who looks like a hippie.
    Mike Leake was arrested for shoplifting less than two years after a $2.3 million signing bonus.
    Homer Bailey is from Texas.
    Aroldis Chapman is a fast drivin', hard-throwin', cocky sonofagun.
    Sam LeCure looks like a Wild West villain.

And of course Brandon Phillips is Enemy Numero Uno to most of the teams in the game. He laughs and slides when he doesn't need to and has that hand brush thing I now use in my daily life.

What if Joey Votto embraced his brooding nature and started declining interviews and staring down pitchers after rocking an oppo homer? Ryan Ludwick could cut his sleeves off like Klu and get a hammer tattooed on his bicep. Jay Bruce could start referring to himself in the third person and using a gold bat. Maybe Todd Frazier wears nothing but pinstripe suits when he's not in uniform like a Sinatra mob boss.

That coupled with what may become the most obnoxious and fun stadium tradition in the game could really be a good time.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could this team use a bad boy image?

Should we hire Steve (The Bad Boy) Stewart back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Should we hire Steve (The Bad Boy) Stewart back?
    That goes without saying.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Cy at Red Reporter brought up an interesting point in a post about the howl yesterday (http://www.redreporter.com/2012/9/12...ooooo-de-coeur), that maybe the Reds should embrace a bad boy identity, with the number of what you could call "rebel" personalities on the team. Start with the pitching staff:

Johnny Cueto ended a guy's career with a kick to the head.
    Mat Latos is tatted up from wrist to wrist and is, by all accounts, slightly unhinged.
    Arroyo is a loose-tongued rock 'n' roll wannabe who looks like a hippie.
    Mike Leake was arrested for shoplifting less than two years after a $2.3 million signing bonus.
    Homer Bailey is from Texas.
    Aroldis Chapman is a fast drivin', hard-throwin', cocky sonofagun.
    Sam LeCure looks like a Wild West villain.

And of course Brandon Phillips is Enemy Numero Uno to most of the teams in the game. He laughs and slides when he doesn't need to and has that hand brush thing I now use in my daily life.

What if Joey Votto embraced his brooding nature and started declining interviews and staring down pitchers after rocking an oppo homer? Ryan Ludwick could cut his sleeves off like Klu and get a hammer tattooed on his bicep. Jay Bruce could start referring to himself in the third person and using a gold bat. Maybe Todd Frazier wears nothing but pinstripe suits when he's not in uniform like a Sinatra mob boss.

That coupled with what may become the most obnoxious and fun stadium tradition in the game could really be a good time.
    I agree they have a good start, and the rounding out effect of converting good guys Votto, Bruce, Ludwick and Frazier is definitely worth imagining.

Let's not forget Scott Rolen, who's cold blank stare always looked like he's spent 7-10 in the penitentiary. For a while I sort of believed he had knife scars on his face.

Homer Bailey is the GD Batman.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Alan Pinkett to the broadcast booth...

[Homer Bailey is from Texas.

Jay Bruce is from texas too and is one of the nicest guys in baseball. The rest of them make some sense but just because the guy is from Texas? I dont get it.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    [Homer Bailey is from Texas.

Jay Bruce is from texas too and is one of the nicest guys in baseball. The rest of them make some sense but just because the guy is from Texas? I dont get it.
    That's the Joke - YouTube
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

They should change all of the walk up music to Kriss Kross songs. Would solidify us as NOT to be messed with. Also, the uniforms would now be worn backwards.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

The older Scott Rolen gets, the more he looks exactly like Kevin Spacey. It doesn't get much more villianous than Lex Luthor.

Unless it's Kaiser Soze.

Rick

PS: Also, the guy from "Se7en." You get the point.

Brad Lesley's image didn't help very much.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bad Boy?

No...

Big Boy yes

nm
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 09-13-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: it had already been mentioned

They could bring Tim Hummel back to be the mascot

Then call up Bad Mutha Corky Miller.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?