Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff rotation and home/road splits

Playoff rotation and home/road splits

The following are Home/Road splits for the Reds starters. Assuming the Reds will be traveling for 2 games and then home for 3, how should the rotation be set? Cueto is the obvious #1, and Arroyo and Latos both look like competent 2's, but with his numbers the way they are, don't you have to let Bailey pitch game 2 on the road?

ERA WHIP K/BB HRs Starts

Cueto 2.80/2.61, 1.096/1.198, 5.36/2.86, 8/4, 13/16
    Latos 3.53/4.00, 1.185/1.222, 2.51/3.13, 17/7, 17/12
    Arroyo 4.13/3.34, 1.431/1.029, 2.94/4.33, 9/14, 12/16
    Bailey 5.05/2.75, 1.532/1.109, 2.81/3.29, 19/5, 16/13
    Leake 5.54/3.74, 1.426/1.286, 3.87/2.57, 17/8, 16/12

My playoff rotation would be Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Arroyo.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playoff rotation and home/road splits

agreed with the rotation, but does Baker actually do that??

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Don't know if I completely trust Homer to do that, and I'm about 99.9% sure Dusty would never do it, but those stats sure seem to suggest it could be a good idea. I think they'd lean more toward Arroyo, which may also be good.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

My guess the divisional series: Cueto,Latos,Arroyo,Bailey
    My guess if they advance to the NLCS:
    If Washington: Cueto,Bailey,Latos,Arroyo
    If Atlanta,St.Louis,Philly ete: same as divisional series

Bailey shouldn't probably pitch in the playoffs with the rotation but Bailey is Dusty's pet ala Stubbs and has outpitched Mike Leake recently.

If curent form holds then Latos is my #1 no matter who we face.

IMHO, I hope they go with a 3 man rotation. Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo. In a 7 game series, I would prefer any of these 3 being the #1, and pitching 3 games(if needed), than having to rely on Bailey or Leake, to win a deciding game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    IMHO, I hope they go with a 3 man rotation. Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo. In a 7 game series, I would prefer any of these 3 being the #1, and pitching 3 games(if needed), than having to rely on Bailey or Leake, to win a deciding game.
    They have to go with 4 because the off day has been eliminated. By the NLCS, it will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    I feel confident in Homer on the road. I'd certainly prefer to get as many starts out of Bbronson and Latos as possible, though, because I ddon't have as many concerns about innings totals with them.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Still POed about having the first two games in the DS on the road, if they were at home like normal years it would set us up perfectly.

Agree Hometown Hero. I hate the notion that after our great regular season, we could be starting out the playoffs in San Francisco against Matt Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    The following are Home/Road splits for the Reds starters. Assuming the Reds will be traveling for 2 games and then home for 3, how should the rotation be set? Cueto is the obvious #1, and Arroyo and Latos both look like competent 2's, but with his numbers the way they are, don't you have to let Bailey pitch game 2 on the road?

ERA WHIP K/BB HRs Starts

Cueto 2.80/2.61, 1.096/1.198, 5.36/2.86, 8/4, 13/16
    Latos 3.53/4.00, 1.185/1.222, 2.51/3.13, 17/7, 17/12
    Arroyo 4.13/3.34, 1.431/1.029, 2.94/4.33, 9/14, 12/16
    Bailey 5.05/2.75, 1.532/1.109, 2.81/3.29, 19/5, 16/13
    Leake 5.54/3.74, 1.426/1.286, 3.87/2.57, 17/8, 16/12

My playoff rotation would be Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Arroyo.
    Don't assume. You know what happens when you assume. You are assuming the Reds get the number one seed and that's probably not the case. Washington mostly likely will get the wildcard game winner. The Reds probably open at home with 2 games with SF. Your playoff rotation is nuts. Bailey for a game 2 is insane. You are asking for a 1-1 split and the pressure is on going to SF. Why not go for the throat with the big 3 in Cueto,Latos, and Arroyo?

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Don't assume. You know what happens when you assume. You are assuming the Reds get the number one seed and that's probably not the case. Washington mostly likely will get the wildcard game winner. The Reds probably open at home with 2 games with SF. Your playoff rotation is nuts. Bailey for a game 2 is insane. You are asking for a 1-1 split and the pressure is on going to SF. Why not go for the throat with the big 3 in Cueto,Latos, and Arroyo?
    Unless the Reds fall to a #3 seed they will open with 2 games on the road. I love the addition of the 2nd wildcard but this is completely asinine.

For the 2012 Postseason only, the five-game Division Series will begin with two home games for lower seeds, followed by up to three home games for higher seeds. This one-year change, which eliminates a travel day prior to a decisive Game Five of the Division Series, was necessary because the 2012 regular season schedule was established before the agreement on the new Postseason format was reached. Next year, the Division Series will return to the 2-2-1 format used in previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Unless the Reds fall to a #3 seed they will open with 2 games on the road. I love the addition of the 2nd wildcard but this is completely asinine.
    I stand corrected. I still wouldn't use Homer in Game 2 although he has improved a lot this year.

I stand corrected. I still wouldn't use Homer in Game 2 although he has improved a lot this year.
    So you pitch him at home where he's been abysmal at times? I don't follow your logic. You're going to need four starters provided it goes four games.
    -RichRed

This is incorrect. Even if Reds play Giants in division series, Reds will open at SF, not at home.

Turn Off Ads?