Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Player Profiles - Chris Welsh

Player Profiles - Chris Welsh

Christopher Charles Welsh was born on April 14, 1955 in Wilmington, Delaware. A left-hander, Welsh has a career ERA of 4.45 and career win/loss record of 21-31 with 8 complete games and 3 shutouts in 122 career appearances. Welsh was first drafted by the New York Yankees in the 24th round of the 1976 amateur draft, and ended his career in 1986 with the Cincinnati Reds. He is currently in his 20th season as an analyst for the Reds.

Welsh graduated from St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati in 1973, and graduated from the University of South Florida where he played baseball under coach Robin Roberts.

Though he was drafted in the 1976 amateur draft, Welsh did not sign. He did sign the next year when he was drafted again by the Yankees in the 21st round. He spent the next five years working his way through the Yankees’ minor league system before he was traded to the San Diego Padres. He made his major league debut on April 12, 1981. In his rookie season, Welsh pitched 123.7 innings while compiling a 6-7 record and a 3.78 ERA. He had 4 complete games, 2 of which were shutouts.

After two years with the Padres, Welsh was purchased by the Montreal Expos. His time in Montreal did not go well, as Welsh only found 2 wins over 16 starts, and saw his ERA rise from 2.49 to a high of 5.52. He spent the next year in the minors where he did considerably better earning a 13-4 W/L record and a 3.01 ERA. Welsh was traded on November 7, 1984 to the Texas Rangers. With the Rangers he posted a 2-5 record with an ERA of 4.13.

On April 4, 1986 Welsh signed as a free agent with the Cincinnati Reds for what turned out to be his last year in professional baseball. The team record when he appeared in games was 13-11, but Welsh only posted a 6-9 W/L record and a 4.78 ERA.

Welsh is known for an interesting pitching delivery in which he would "straight-arm" the ball. This means he would extend his left arm and pitch the ball sidearm with the arm almost completely straight, with little to no bending of his elbow. During his career, Welsh earned the nickname, "The Crafty Left-Hander", a name that Reds' s announcer Thom Brenneman uses to refer to Welsh from time to time.

Welsh has been the TV color analyst for the Reds since 1993.

2. Likes:

757690 (09-02-2013),Always Red (09-03-2013),Big Klu (09-10-2013),Bob Borkowski (09-02-2013),BRM13 (09-02-2013),cumberlandreds (09-03-2013),dabvu2498 (09-02-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-02-2013),RiverRat13 (09-02-2013),Tom Servo (09-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Player Profiles - Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I remember that suit

Chris has turned out to be one of the best color guys in baseball. I think his early years with Grande kinda held him back, even though the two worked well together, Grande's sunny disposition seemed like it prevented Welsh from telling it like it is. He worked a lot of years broadcasting for terrible Reds teams.

He's kinda dorky, with the bow ties on Tuesday, and the lame jokes. But I think it's kinda funny. He doesn't mind laughing at himself, which is a good quality to have.

I really like his passion for the game, and the team. When someone hits a wall-scraper he's always on his feet shouting "Get out!". Reminds me of Joe.

7. Likes:

BRM13 (09-03-2013),Larkin Fan (09-12-2013),RadfordVA (09-03-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-03-2013),Tom Servo (09-03-2013)

“He’s the best at what he does,” says Grande
    Chris Welsh = Wolverine

I like Welsh, he's the best announcer the Reds have and I think under appreciated by many fans. Not really the homer type like some (looking at you Hawk Harrelson) and will be blunt at times but you can tell that he does get excited when it's a big moment for the Reds and I like that balance. Sort of surprised he hasn't gotten more national work but I'm OK with that, I want him to stay on Reds' broadcasts as long as possible.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

9. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-12-2013),Ravenlord (09-12-2013),redsfanmia (09-03-2013),Tom Servo (09-03-2013),wlf WV (09-04-2013)

I like Welsh. Been watching him do Reds games for a decade now and I have yet to get annoyed by him. That's about the best thing I can say about a broadcaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

RadfordVA (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have yet to get annoyed by him.
    Well now, that's just crazy talk.

I do agree that he's one of the best in the crop of reds announcers, but everybody annoys me sometime.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Reds faced him often enough when he was a Padre and an Expo that I would have guessed his Reds career was longer. IIRC, he started the only game I attended in '86.
    /r/reds

Funny, I saw him start a game in '85. In Oklahoma City, against the Reds' Denver team, featuring Paul O'Neill, Kal Daniels, Lloyd McClendon, and Dave Miley. Eric Davis was on that team as well, but I have no memory of him playing, so I'm not sure he did.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Yea it seemed like he played more than one season with the Reds. I guess that's why I don't remember him too much as a Red. He is a good analyst and I thought he and Grande made a good team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Funny, I saw him start a game in '85. In Oklahoma City, against the Reds' Denver team, featuring Paul O'Neill, Kal Daniels, Lloyd McClendon, and Dave Miley. Eric Davis was on that team as well, but I have no memory of him playing, so I'm not sure he did.
    Would that have been the Denver Zephyrs? My first Reds game ever was a exhibition vs. the Zephyrs (and it may have been that year). The Reds lost.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yea it seemed like he played more than one season with the Reds. I guess that's why I don't remember him too much as a Red. He is a good analyst and I thought he and Grande made a good team.
    Now that Grande is partially retired I actually look forward to the 6 games he does a year with Welsh. Grande is even more cheery and goofy now that the team doesn't suck, and it's funny to watch.

Just not for an entire season...

Enjoy the George and Chris games while you still can, one day George is gonna BEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEE GONE!

18. Likes:

Big Klu (09-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I loved that jacket!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?