Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs eliminated again

Cubs eliminated again

With last night's victory by the Cardinals, the Chicago Cubs have once again been eliminated from post-season play and will go another year without winning a World Series. That makes it 104 years since they have won the World Series. 67 years since they have appeared in a World Series. I know this has been a fait accompli since pitchers and catchers reported but it's always fun to revel in the fact that their fans will be miserable yet another year. I kind of wish that the Reds would have done the honors on Tuesday but it's kind of appropriate that the Cards were the ones to remove that last shred of doubt.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you good folks know a few things that have happened since the Cubs last won the World Series.

1. Radio was invented; Cub fans got to hear their team lose.
    2. TV was invented; Cub fans got to see their team lose.
    3. Baseball added 14 teams; Cub fans got to see AND hear their team lose to more teams.
    4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
    5. Haley’s Comet passed Earth… twice.
    6. Harry Caray was born… and died. Incredible, but true.
    7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.
    8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.
    9. Sixteen US presidents were elected.
    10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.
    11. Prohibition was created, and repealed.
    12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures… the latter giving Cub fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
    13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.
    14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.
    15. A combination of 44 summer & winter Olympics have been held.
    16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked Cubs pitchers.
    17. Bell bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in style.
    18. The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Florida Marlins have ALL won the World Series.
    19. The Cubs played 16,338 regular-season games; they lost the majority of them.
    20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union.

And, for all you music lovers, I thought I'd share one of my favorite songs with you. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/7xBxZGQ1dJk
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

dlconn (09-14-2013),LexRedsFan (09-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs eliminated again

UKFlounder likes this

Awesome post. LOL

It also should be noted that only two other franchises have not played in a World Series since the Cubs. The Washington National/Expos franchise and the Seattle Mariner franchise. Both as we all know are expansion franchises since 1945 and haven't had as many opportunities as the Cubs.
    Also 1945 was a war year in which many of the better players were involved in WWII and the talent level of MLB was diminished considerably.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 09-14-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Very nice post.

Some more to add to the list:

• Pluto was discovered and undiscovered as a planet
    • Minorities couldn’t vote or share a bus, now we have an African American President
    • Man landed on the moon, and found several home runs balls given up by Cubs pitchers
    • The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Florida Marlins have ALL won the World Series
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Always a good thread, Chip.

A few of my own observations:

The Ottoman Empire (est. 1299) existed for another 14 years after the Cubs last won the World Series.

Butch Cassidy had weeks left to live after the Cubs last won the World Series.

US troops were still in Cuba as fallout of the Spanish-American War when the Cubs last won the World Series.

Mark Twain died less than two years after the Cubs last won World Series.

Not only were Pulitzer Prizes not yet established when the Cubs last won the World Series, Joseph Pulitzer was still alive.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

For a Level Playing Field

One more and dear to my heart (and life for that matter!)...

* Diabetes was a terminal illness. Now people like me walk around with their pancreas (aka insulin pump) in their pocket.

Others found on the net:

traffic lights were not yet in existent (or needed) the last time the Cubs won the WS.
    Cub fans couldn't drown their sorrows in a Twinkie the last time the cubs won the WS as they had yet to be invented. However, I'm sure there still a "fresh" one in its original package (1930) sitting on a shelf somewhere.
    Man had yet to step foot on the south pole.
    Indianapolis had yet to stage "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing".
    There were no girl scouts the last time the Cubs won the WS, nor any thin mints.
    Crossword puzzles had yet to show up in American Newspapers.
    Women were not allowed to vote.

Al Gore was born, became vice-president and discovered the internet since the last time the Cubs won, too.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Since the time of the Cubs last appearance in the World Series, the Reds have been to five of them, winning three. All five of the Reds' World Series wins have occurred since the Cubs last one won.

Mind boggling - you think they would have stumbled into one at some point in that span of years?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    One more and dear to my heart (and life for that matter!)...

* Diabetes was a terminal illness. Now people like me walk around with their pancreas (aka insulin pump) in their pocket.

Just in case you're interested: http://www.wddpe.com/

I thought the Cubs were eliminated from playoff contention on Opening Day?

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Two World Wars, the Great Depression, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the entire cold war, the entire length of the Soviet Union, two Gulf Wars, and the entire atomic age.

Turn Off Ads?