Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Limping into the playoffs

Re: Limping into the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Okay...let's be clear, there's a difference between complaining and being worried. I'm not complaining. I'm saying that I'm worried about the Reds being able to score runs off of good pitching in the playoffs. And...NOW...I'm worried about Chapman. And I'm worried about Cueto's 8.82 ERA in his last three starts. Is he suddenly going to start pitching well in the post-season? I HOPE so. Is it wrong to be alarmed? Nobody is claiming that the sky is falling. Nobody is saying the Reds suck. I don't think anybody's ungrateful for the great season it's been so far...there are simply some red flags that have a few of us wondering if the Reds are gonna be able to hang with good pitching in October.
    I don't think it is wrong to be concerned about the pitchers. They need to put this away as soon as possible so some key players can get some rest. I would like to see Cueto either skipped one turn or something to that effect... maybe go to a six man the last two weeks? Limit Cueto to one inning his next start? Do something to give him an extended break. The velocity is not down. The stuff is not diminished. It is location. It is ALL command. A little rest could go a long way.

The good news is how good Latos has been, and Homer in his last couple starts. They could open with Latos and Homer on the road, then come back for game 3 with Cueto matched up with the Giants' third starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Okay...let's be clear, there's a difference between complaining and being worried. I'm not complaining. I'm saying that I'm worried about the Reds being able to score runs off of good pitching in the playoffs. And...NOW...I'm worried about Chapman. And I'm worried about Cueto's 8.82 ERA in his last three starts. Is he suddenly going to start pitching well in the post-season? I HOPE so. Is it wrong to be alarmed? Nobody is claiming that the sky is falling. Nobody is saying the Reds suck. I don't think anybody's ungrateful for the great season it's been so far...there are simply some red flags that have a few of us wondering if the Reds are gonna be able to hang with good pitching in October.
    Reds need to accomplish four things before the playoffs IMO.

1. Get Cueto straightened out.
    2. Get Chapman straightened out.
    3. Get Votto as close to his usual self as possible.
    4. Get Cozart back and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Yep!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Cueto isn't untouchable. Did anyone already not know that?

I already did.

I don't care what he did over 3 starts at a meaningless time. It's just not a good player evaluation point. As long as he looks healthy, I'm not concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

What are the chances that all four of those happen? The end of September is a lousy time to be figuring out what's wrong with your No. 1 starter, trying to fix your closer and finding out why your best player isn't the same as he was post injury. Not to mention that little problem of the entire team reverting to its weak-offense ways with Votto back in the lineup.

No worries. We win three and the Cards lose three and it's ovah. Then we get ready for the playoffs. Will Cueto get straightened out? I have faith in our pitching coach. Will Chapman get straightened out? See above. Votto? 3/4 Votto is better than most, but remember we did well without him. This team is solid. The absence of Frazier's hitting is concerning, but we saw flashes of a hot Ludwick today. The only real weak link is center field, but that's an off season thing. Cozart will come back for the playoffs. Don't worry, be happy. I'd post the video, but I'm on iPad and Flash is a dirty word to the Apple Folks .
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'd rather be limping on the way in than standing tall on the outside.
    Is it "next season" yet?

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I'd rather be limping on the way in than standing tall on the outside.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Stat geek...and proud
    I'd rather slump now than 3 weeks from now.

I think it's much ado about nothing. This team is going to the postseason, and they know it. They'd never say or admit it publicly, but it's human nature. They are coasting.

History is littered with teams who struggled into the playoffs, some of them barely even making it, and then going on to win the whole thing.

Besides, this is the time of year - and this happens every year - when the dregs of MLB have their dead cat bounces and beat a few contending teams here and there. They call them "spoilers" for a reason - thankfully The Reds have a good enough lead they don't really have to worry about that.

So the Marlins beat us twice. Well, we just swept Pittsburgh. Houston just beat Philadelphia the other night. They beat us two out of three last weekend. Even a team as god-awful as Houston is capable of showing some life and beating a contender here and there. It happens every single year without fail.

Remember when a pretty awful Reds team single-handedly ended The Cubs' chances of making the playoffs?

If The Reds should be worrying then every other contender sans Washington should be in full-blown nuclear meltdown panic mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Reds limped to a 4-2 week.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Even if they're limping now, and I do think they're limping a bit *right now*, there's no saying they'll be limping in three weeks. Even the games they've won have been a real struggle for them, especially offensively.

However, I'd consider this more of a mild ankle sprain than any broken bones or torn ligaments. I don't think any sort of limp is indicative of how they may or may not fare in three weeks.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

We're good again.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Amen. Most people around here nowadays, it seems. No one's every happy, and we have the second best record in baseball. Go figure.
    Cue the economic downturn excuse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Turn Off Ads?