Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2012

Re: Ohio State Football 2012

I expect the Buckeyes too play inspired and for the 'Shoe to be rockin!

I think this team, while not elite but having the advantage of having Urb as their head coach, just might run the table this year.

As for Saturday, I am going to say:

tOSU 34

NU 21

O-H!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I expect OSU to win this game. If the UCLA game is any indication, Nebraska has an awful defense and Braxton is the best player they will have faced all year. They will score, but we will score more. 38-21.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...sses-pointless

Ohio State third-string quarterback Cardale Jones made his feelings about attending classes clear Friday on Twitter.

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS," he wrote.

To be honest though, I agree with him. It is crazy that he is basically forced to go to school to do something that really doesn't require him to go to school. He doesn't want to be a doctor, or a teacher or anything else. He wants to be a football player. The schools and the NFL take advantage of these guys (same for the NBA). Drives me crazy.

They take advantage of them....and provide them opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be available to them. If Ohio State football didn't exist, who would give a damn who Cardale Jones is?

It's pretty much a win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They take advantage of them....and provide them opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be available to them. If Ohio State football didn't exist, who would give a damn who Cardale Jones is?

It's pretty much a win/win.
    I bet some NFL teams would give a crap who Jones is. Instead, he is forced to go do something he doesn't want to do, in order to try and do something he does want to do. It is a big win for the colleges who turn it into a billion dollar a year industry, a big win for the NFL who doesn't have to have a minor league system and a big loss for athletes who truly don't care to go to school, but are forced to.

How is it a loss for the athletes? What are they losing? No one would be reading his tweets to know that he's a moron if Ohio State football didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How is it a loss for the athletes? What are they losing? No one would be reading his tweets to know that he's a moron if Ohio State football didn't exist.
    What are they losing? Besides money and potentially a career because they chose the wrong school and wind up a back up, or their coach leaves and goes to a system not suited for their talents at all or a major injury that had it happened as a pro, wouldn't have ended their chances? Besides that, I guess they aren't losing anything. But those are pretty high stakes for something that a lot of these guys really don't want to do. A lot of these guys just want to play football. Let them. Why force them into something they don't want to do other than to line your pockets with all kinds of cash?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What are they losing? Besides money and potentially a career because they chose the wrong school and wind up a back up, or their coach leaves and goes to a system not suited for their talents at all or a major injury that had it happened as a pro, wouldn't have ended their chances? Besides that, I guess they aren't losing anything. But those are pretty high stakes for something that a lot of these guys really don't want to do. A lot of these guys just want to play football. Let them. Why force them into something they don't want to do other than to line your pockets with all kinds of cash?
    I might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but are you arguing that if not for the requirement that he attend college the Ohio State's third string QB would be an NFL QB right now?

Obviously there would be minor league football if the college system didn't exist. People follow minor league baseball players. Unless you're saying a kid on scholarship to play QB at Ohio State wouldn't get a look in a minor league football system, which is ridiculous.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but are you arguing that if not for the requirement that he attend college the Ohio State's third string QB would be an NFL QB right now?
    No, I am suggesting without being forced to go to college, the NFL would have to have some type of development system and that this kid would have very likely had a chance to do that, rather than be literally be forced to do something he doesn't want to do, in order to go forward with what he does want to do. And that thing being forced upon him has literally no bearing on him honing his skillset for what he wants to do with his future. College isn't for everyone. But for athletes who want to play in the NBA or NFL, it is forced upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, I am suggesting without being forced to go to college, the NFL would have to have some type of development system and that this kid would have very likely had a chance to do that, rather than be literally be forced to do something he doesn't want to do, in order to go forward with what he does want to do. And that thing being forced upon him has literally no bearing on him honing his skillset for what he wants to do with his future. College isn't for everyone. But for athletes who want to play in the NBA or NFL, it is forced upon them.
    Got it. That's a fair point. However I would argue that, while I agree that college isn't for everyone, Jones gets to go to college for free. He doesn't have the risk that the Average Joe does of putting themselves into debt for the benefit of an education.

I'd also argue that if you are the 3rd string QB at any college, you're chances of making it in the NFL are pretty slim. Maybe he should take advantage of the educational opportunity that is presented to him that he has earned with his athletic abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Got it. That's a fair point. However I would argue that, while I agree that college isn't for everyone, Jones gets to go to college for free. He doesn't have the risk that the Average Joe does of putting themselves into debt for the benefit of an education.

I'd also argue that if you are the 3rd string QB at any college, you're chances of making it in the NFL are pretty slim. Maybe he should take advantage of the educational opportunity that is presented to him that he has earned with his athletic abilities?
    A lot of really good players were 3rd string at some point in college, especially at schools like Ohio State. Jones was what, a Top 30 QB coming out of high school? A guy like that gets a look in a system where the NFL has to develop the talent.

I am all for furthering ones education. But why force adults to if they don't want to?

Something tells me that if there were some kind of development program/minor leagues for the NFL, Mr. Jones wouldn't care for all the "outside work" commitments that go with being a pro athlete. It speaks far more about the maturity level of the kid than it does about the system.

The kid knew what he signed up for when he signed his LOI... Student-athlete. No one twisted his arm to go play college football.

That said, the kid was probably just having a crappy day and happened to vent in a public way. Totally inappropriate, but not worthy of some of the outrage it's getting. Hopefully he learns from his mistake and has a great career at OSU and beyond.

I know when I was a frosh in college, I felt pretty similarly. And I wasn't trying to play big-time football.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Something tells me that if there were some kind of development program/minor leagues for the NFL, Mr. Jones wouldn't care for all the "outside work" commitments that go with being a pro athlete. It speaks far more about the maturity level of the kid than it does about the system.
    There is a difference between outside work for football, and school work simply because you want to play football. If he were a minor league football player, his outside work would be what it is right now, except without the school work. And he would be getting paid.

Turn Off Ads?