Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brittney Griner might play in the NBA?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Brittney Griner might play in the NBA?

Mark Cuban is into the idea anyway.
    http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...&i=TWT&w=1crcr

Kind of seems inevitable that we're going to see a woman enter one of the major men's sports leagues sooner or later.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Brittney Griner might play in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Kind of seems inevitable that we're going to see a woman enter one of the major men's sports leagues sooner or later.
    It's already kind-of happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_Rh%C3%A9aume
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

If by "play in the NBA", you mean a few minutes in the Summer League or as a stunt in an exhibition game, then sure.

5. Likes:

coachpipe (04-04-2013),texasdave (04-03-2013)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

If you're going to allow her to play in the NBA, then Austin Rivers should be allowed to play in the WNBA.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

7. Likes:

coachpipe (04-04-2013),flyersbaseball (04-03-2013)

No.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    No.
    Thanks for your riveting input.

I can see why Griner would go for the idea. M-O-N-E-Y.

How is it inevitable? Has there ever been a woman even close to good enough to play in any of the men's top pro leagues? I certainly don't recall it ever happening.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It isn't going to happen. She couldn't guard a single player in the NBA. The smaller guys would be faster and stronger. The bigger guys would be stronger and more explosive. She would get backed down or blown by on every single play.

marketing...

should get publicity, new (female) fans and some jerseys should beselled...

outside of marketing reasons, there is no chance they could use her..

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It isn't going to happen. She couldn't guard a single player in the NBA. The smaller guys would be faster and stronger. The bigger guys would be stronger and more explosive. She would get backed down or blown by on every single play.
    I suspect players would punish her every time she got near the ball. Plus, she's done so well in the women's game because she's a physical specimen. Being 6' 8" is a rarity in the women's game. In the NBA, not so much.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How is it inevitable? Has there ever been a woman even close to good enough to play in any of the men's top pro leagues? I certainly don't recall it ever happening.
    I feel as though there will be, at the very least, a woman kicker or punter good enough for the NFL someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Manon Rheaume did it in the NHL, but it seemed more like a stunt. Race car driving, sure. Maybe we might see a woman who throws left-handed with some speed and movement make it as a LOOGY in MLB. But in a contact sport I don't see it happening.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I feel as though there will be, at the very least, a woman kicker or punter good enough for the NFL someday.
    I have yet to hear of a female kicker who has anywhere near the leg strength to make it in the NFL, and I doubt any team would want a female kicker/punter on the field on a kick return. The women who've done it in college have mainly handled extra points and field goals from short yardage, with the male punter handling punts and kickoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Manon Rheaume did it in the NHL, but it seemed more like a stunt. Race car driving, sure. Maybe we might see a woman who throws left-handed with some speed and movement make it as a LOOGY in MLB. But in a contact sport I don't see it happening.
    I'm not too well studied on the actual biomechanics of pitching so forgive this question perhaps

But doesn't pitching ability have as much to do with flexibility as it does strength? Is there any particular reason an athletic woman couldn't generate the kind of velocity on pitches needed to be a MLB quality pitcher? (Not even just a LOOGY necessarily, either.)

Turn Off Ads?