Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2012

Re: Ohio State Football 2012

Funny thing is, people are on the high horse about honoring and applauding Tressel, yet Tressel isn't the one that lied about anything.

I've said this before on here... he fell on a sword. Ohio State did 'break the rules' by 'failing to report', but it wasn't Tressel. Tressel shouldn't have been out of a job nor should anyone be condemning him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Every fan base without a major history of scandal has the initial attitude, "well, (insert successful program) is obviously cheating" until it happens to them. Then, once a program has gotten busted the quote changes to, "well, everybody does it".
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Well i'm certainly not perfect, I predicted Romney would carry Florida and I predicted that the Reds would win game 3 against the Poseys.

But I don't cheat, and I don't lie (and trust me, that's the way the national John Q Public views Tressel, fairly or
    not ) and while I might forgive those who do, I don't agree with treating them like a hero before a National TV audience. Hasn't been a day in the last 20 years I haven't been willing to forgive Pete, but would draw the line at carrying him around the field before the world series.

Not a smart move. Nuff said.
    You just lied there. Everyone lies. Maybe not as a lifestyle, but everyone says things that are not complete and accurate truth, if not daily, at least regularly. I'm sure you probably mean "really big lies" vs. "little white lies" or some silly distinction like that, but regardless, the self-righteousness is just as repugnant as someone caught red-handed lieing.

I like the idea of forgiving others who lie and cheat, you know, getting them specks out of their eyes, but don't forget to check your eye for that beam in it.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Now, my thoughts on Tressel, I am in the Brutus camp, and don't care much for Gene Smith for letting a subordinate take his fall. So maybe that was for him a personal goodie to outweigh his baddie for the whole sordid affair. But I always find redemption a great theme and self-righteous indignation and finger wagging distasteful and normally more hypocritical than the "willing to forgive and move on" crowd.

Just like as time passes, the more distasteful the Penn State punishment reeks of overkill and example setting by an organization out of control (NCAA).
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Yesterday was incredibly fun and I enjoyed every second of it. I bet that makes you mad.
    Not at all. I like to see fellow Redlegs fans have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You just lied there. Everyone lies. Maybe not as a lifestyle, but everyone says things that are not complete and accurate truth, if not daily, at least regularly.

Semantics. You and I define the word "lie" differently.

Semantics. You and I define the word "lie" differently.
    Yea, I mentioned that kind of silliness in the same post that you didn't bother to quote. It isn't like there is a lot of gray area in "lie," just rationalization. But whatever, I think it is pretty easy to see the arrogance of anyone claiming to "not lie or cheat" as a basis for claiming moral superiority, so I'll let the ridiculous claim you made to speak for itself.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)
    Didn't see the game but reading reports that Tressel was saluted and received a "thunderous ovation". Is this true?

Not a smart move as far as the way the non-Buckeye world views this university. Guess I just wasn't made for these times.
    Tressel is a terrific human being and I don't think anyone here said he is perfect. He is being honored for his contributions to the university and city during the 2001/02 season.

Oh, and we don't care what nonfans think. Not sure why you care how OSU fans appreciate a former coach.

It's all part of the OSU scarlet and gray kool-aid....

Looking at it from the outside, I can see how people might think its odd.

But I certainly have a fuzzy spot in my heart for Tressel and what he did for the team and the school pre-tattoos. I don't want him anywhere near the program, but I still like the guy and I still wear my OSU sweater vest.

Hell, Woody Hayes worked himself back into good graces with the Buckeyes after okey-doking Charlie Bauman.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's all part of the OSU scarlet and gray kool-aid....

Looking at it from the outside, I can see how people might think its odd.

But I certainly have a fuzzy spot in my heart for Tressel and what he did for the team and the school pre-tattoos. I don't want him anywhere near the program, but I still like the guy and I still wear my OSU sweater vest.

Hell, Woody Hayes worked himself back into good graces with the Buckeyes after okey-doking Charlie Bauman.
    I battle whether or not the favorable reaction was appropriate, but when I look at the flip side, if he had been booed, then the likely reaction would have been "man, how classless to boo a coach who made a mistake but otherwise was a good coach."

It was a tough call no matter what decision was made, so that makes it a little hard to criticize, but to appreciate that someone made a tough call whether or not to invite him at all. I imagine they received some input from several decision makers and participants and went with the consensus opinion--or at least that is how I would have approached it if planning the event.

I think it is an interesting dynamic to see how people react. Someone at Ohio State should write a behavioral science dissertation on the reactions.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Show me a legendary coach without some kind of blot on his resume or skeletons in his closet. Woody punched a player and had a furious temper, Bear was notoriously harsh, Bowden had the "Free Shoes University" blip, Paterno we won't even talk about, Meyer had a spate of arrests at Florida, I could go on and on. Tressel is not a saint or a hero. He's human. And he deserved to be recognized for his accomplishments. If you ask me, he's already paid dearly for his mistakes. Time to move on. I think it's possible to recognize all the good that he did, while also acknowledging the mistakes. I don't think cheering him was ignoring the mistake. IMO, the good outweighs the bad. BY FAR. And most people feel the same way.

http://www.topix.net/ncaa/ohio-state...tle-contention

It is hard for me to fathom that anyone would pay someone else to write this poorly. Are there no standards? A third grader could provide us more depth. What's ironic is that there's more corruption in one day of Detroit politics than there has been in a lifetime of Ohio State illegal acts.

And what's really funny is that I think in our culture, there are many more offended at NCAA rulebook infractions that are not illegal acts than they are at actual illegal acts.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.

I for one had tears streaming down my cheeks when the players lifted Tressel on their shoulders. He is a class act guy.
    And I have a story much more personal than winning football games (which between that and the scandal, seem to be the only thing the OSU haters focus on).

In 2005, my 4 year old nephew was battling cancer at the OSU Hospital. Sadly he didn't make it, but when fighting it in 2005 he was absolutely delighted when Coach Tressel, Troy Smith, and A.J Hawk all came into his hospital room to see him and cheer him up. Tressel had no obligation to do this, he did this voluntarilly and out of the goodness of his heart. After that eventful day, Troy Smith came in 3 more times in the next 2 months to hang with my nephew. Again, Troy had no obligation to this at all, but having Coach Tressel as a coach brought out the best in a lot of players. Many players would say Jim would helpthem see what really matters in life. My family is forever grateful for the kind acts of Tressel and company in bringing some joy to my nephews last few months of life.

And another thing, the United Way was saddened when Tressel was let go because they were afraid their BIGGEST DONOR in the state of Ohio would no longer be able to donate the huge sums that Tressel had been giving to them ( I found out later Coach is still donating to them even after being let go by OSU)

So when news broke of the scandal I immediately knew Tressel was just looking out for his players, who looked at Coach Jim as a father figure.

So anyone here who has something bad to say about Coach can go F themselves. My family and I saw firsthand what kind of man Jim Tressel is.

Did he make a mistake about the e-mails? Yes. But if anyone here tries to tell me they have never made a mistake then I have to ask why is God on a message board?

Maybe the haters here only focus on the winning of games or the mistake Coach Tressel made, but for those who have met the man personally and have been affected by his good heart, we know he is not a good, but an outstanding human being.

For me, seeing Coach honored wasn't just about the 2002 season, it was about honoring a class act guy, and I will always love Coach Tressel.

We love you Coach.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 12-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.

WTF Bret Bielema? I'll miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    WTF Bret Bielema? I'll miss you!
    Good riddance, can't stand the dude.

Turn Off Ads?