Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2012

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Ohio State Football 2012

Well, we're three games in and I didn't see a definitive OSU thread so here we go.

I see the biggest issues with this team right now is consistency and rhythm.
    Offensively, Braxton seems so confident and unstoppable on one play, and the next so erratic and bewildered. Perhaps we can chalk it up to youth, but the eyes tell me he could use a little more preparation coming into gameday.

Defensively, the linebackers are the weak point. Shazier likes to go for the big hit but misplays a lot of runs. The LBs are young but this is big boy football.

I can see an improved team over last year (obviously) but I can see 8-9 wins this year with a big step forward next year.
    Witty signature.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Football 2012

The secondary really struggles, and the running game has yet to really gain traction. The passing game is improved, but Braxton is too inaccurate. A lot of drives end because of his inability to move the chains with his arm. He has to get better there. The team is definitely improved from last year, but a long way off from where Urban will eventually have it.

The Cal game should serve as a wake-up call to everyone. Either the Bucks aren't as good as we thought they were or they just had an off-day and found a way to win (like good teams do).

Negatives from the Cal game:
    • Defense...especially the rush defense
    • Tackling. Yikes.
    • Braxton's accuracy

Positives:
    • 6 sacks...good to seem them applying pressure (but they did have to blitz more in order to get them)
    • As mentioned, they found a way to win
    • Shazier...beast vs. Cal
    • Jordan Hall looks healthy

Feel free to add to either list
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

They are a work in progress. You can really see moments on both sides of the ball where they look like a Top 5 teams, but there is no consistency there right now. Braxton is progressing, but if he is forced to pass isn't comfortable yet. The LB are pretty average. Shazier is a great player, but seems like he is going for the big hit instead of the best play and that directly led to one of the big TDs Saturday.

I still think they could win 11 games, but that has more to do with the Big 10 being terrible.

It's gonna be a long B1G season I'd OSU continues to play like this.
    Witty signature.

That game yesterday vs an 0-2 UAB team was painful to watch. Myers cannot be too happy, even coming away with the victory. C'mon Fickle! 400 total yards by UAB vs our 347, time of possession - almost 34 minutes for UAB vs 26 for OSU. Do we have any LBers? We had no answers as they were pretty much moving up and down the field on us. 100 yd in penalties and 2 turnovers by UAB was the difference. They stopped themselves. The game was a lot closer then the score.

Braxton, so far from what I've seen, is IMO another very athletic option QB who can't throw down field with accuracy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    It's gonna be a long B1G season I'd OSU continues to play like this.
    Speaking as a fan of another Big Ten school, I disagree.

Other than possibly Nebraska with a healthy Burkhead, there isn't a better Big Ten team out there--though, that may not be saying much.

I'm not sold on Wisconsin or Michigan State at all, not with predictable offenses resembling bad NFL teams.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I did not see yesterday's game but was shocked how close that was. I saw a recent poll on the 25 worst teams in division I and UAB was on the list. OSU went into that game yesteray as a 5 touchdown favorite.

The Big Ten as a whole looks pitiful this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Speaking as a fan of another Big Ten school, I disagree.

Other than possibly Nebraska with a healthy Burkhead, there isn't a better Big Ten team out there--though, that may not be saying much.

I'm not sold on Wisconsin or Michigan State at all, not with predictable offenses resembling bad NFL teams.
    Yup, as far as the whole conference is concerned its going to be a long season. Watching any team this year could result in some serious channel surfing.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The Big Ten as a whole looks pitiful this year.
    Wholeheartedly agree. And who have any of theses Big10 teams, in the first few weeks of the season, played quality-wise? Michigan is probably the only one (Alabama, ND).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Ohio State defense is the problem here people. They can't get off the field. The safeties have been the worst group at Ohio State for about 3 years now. The corners do a decent job, but they are beat up. The linebacker play is terrible, and the defensive line is a mix of guys that are hurt and probably will be all year, John Hankins, and an armada of talented true freshman. The pass rush has been very poor. The hope is that the defense gels with experience and gets better as the year goes on.

The offense has room for improvement, but this group is light years better than the disaster that was last season.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree. And who have any of theses Big10 teams, in the first few weeks of the season, played quality-wise? Michigan is probably the only one (Alabama, ND).
    Cal isn't terrible. They held their own at USC on Saturday.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The Ohio State defense is the problem here people. They can't get off the field. The safeties have been the worst group at Ohio State for about 3 years now. The corners do a decent job, but they are beat up. The linebacker play is terrible, and the defensive line is a mix of guys that are hurt and probably will be all year, John Hankins, and an armada of talented true freshman. The pass rush has been very poor. The hope is that the defense gels with experience and gets better as the year goes on.

The offense has room for improvement, but this group is light years better than the disaster that was last season.
    I agree with this some. The pass rush has been terrible because we have played teams that have either moved the QB around or have thrown very quick passes. That said it would be nice to see a little bit more pressure, but I think this has been a little overstated. This MSU game will be interesting because I think we are set up well to stop more of a power attack and haven't faced one until this coming weekend.

I'll agree that the LB play has not been good and is with out a doubt the weak spot of the entire team. There is talent there, but for some reason it isn't working.

I was at the game Saturday and it sure wasn't what I expected. The UAB offense was good and effective when they stayed in good down and distance. For the life of me I don't understand why OSU played the corners off so far when UAB was throwing WR screen after WR screen. For all the flack the defense is getting they didn't allow UAB to score a TD.

Braxton and the offense need to be more consistent at staying on the field and converting first downs.

Under the lights at the Shoe, the buckeyes are 7-3.

Last week, the defense seemed to click a little better, but Braxton needs to make better decisions to beat Nebraska. When the season starts, I thought this could be a game they lose. But the B1G this year is so bad that you really can't predict anything.
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?