Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2012

Re: Ohio State Football 2012

Jim Tressel is writing an email to Urban as we speak:

Dear Urban,

Congratulations on a big win. I sure did leave you a mess to clean up, but so far so good. However, I am so upset that I can't sleep. I cannot support scoring that many points in a Big 10 game. In fact, I am calling Gordon Gee tomorrow and telling him that he needs to fire you for scoring that last TD. Covering up a scandal is one thing, but running up the score is poor sportsmanship, and against a former Buckeye no less. The QB takes a knee, we pray, then sing the alma mater with the students. That is how they do it in Buckeye Nation. We never, ever tried to embarrass the other team's defense by scoring that many points.

Sincerely,

Tress
    Last edited by traderumor; 10-07-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is being compensated with something that he doesn't want. Would you be ok if you were forced to do something for your future that you didn't want and were compensated with mandatory classes for something you had no interest in rather than being given money?

As for your other point, sure, it is valid. But the system is broken. Big time. These big colleges run a billion dollar a year industry for a pennies on the dollar in scholarships as "payment" to the athletes. These athletes, some of whom, literally have no interest in those scholarships, but just want to play football and move to the NFL. But they can't just go to the NFL. They must go to college, where they are forced to do things that have nothing at all to do with what they plan to do with their future.
    Also, if you watched Broke, you might have wondered the same thing I did. Why aren't big time college athletics programs who produce a number of professional athletes teaching these kids financial literacy? For example, I'm a big UK fan. I understand what my basketball program is, and I would hope that the university is doing everything is can to repay these kids. If they won't do it with money (which college sports don't seem willing to do), then they need to give training for the transition from poverty to making a lot of money. Anthony Davis did not need UK to show his basketball skills, but he could have used their preparation for his life after his one year of college. The knowledge of how to deal with money and the shackles that can come with it would be just as valuable as anything he learns on the court.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Also, if you watched Broke, you might have wondered the same thing I did. Why aren't big time college athletics programs who produce a number of professional athletes teaching these kids financial literacy? For example, I'm a big UK fan. I understand what my basketball program is, and I would hope that the university is doing everything is can to repay these kids. If they won't do it with money (which college sports don't seem willing to do), then they need to give training for the transition from poverty to making a lot of money. Anthony Davis did not need UK to show his basketball skills, but he could have used their preparation for his life after his one year of college. The knowledge of how to deal with money and the shackles that can come with it would be just as valuable as anything he learns on the court.
    I found it interesting that there weren't as many baseball players talked about and I think I know why. They have to go to the minor leagues, where most of them have to actually learn to budget their money because they aren't making $1000 a month. Some guys can live off of signing bonuses, but by and large, most of them can't. They have to move through the minor leagues with roommates, living on the cheap. So by the time they are actually making money in the Majors, they have already learned how to budget their money. You don't get that in the NBA or NFL. If you make the NBA or NFL, you immediately start making the minimum, which is about $20,000 a week.

I do think that college should have classes, not just for athletes, but for everyone, on financial responsibility. Heck, I think those classes should start in middle school and you should have them through high school as well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Up to 8th in the AP.

If I were Urban Meyer I would call Jones into my office tell him if he doesn't want to go to school then get the hell out. You don't say something that stupid, your the 3rd string QB at OSU, you are going to play ahead of Braxton or Guiton. You aren't going to play ahead of the guy he brings in the next season. Your best avenue in life is to take advantage of the free education you are getting and use your OSU jersey as a tool to make contacts for the rest of your life.

As for the game I didn't expect that at all. OSU hit another gear and Nebraska didn't have a chance. If they weren't on probation Braxton may be the odds on favorite to win the Heisman right now.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Etienne Sabino out for a month with a fractured leg. Being already thin at LB, it will be interesting to see how some kids mature.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Up to 8th in the AP.
    There's not a single Big Ten team in the Coaches or Harris Poll. Pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There's not a single Big Ten team in the Coaches or Harris Poll. Pathetic
    It is indeed. It was pretty likely that this was going to be a down year for the conference based on graduation and general turmoil, but still much worse than I think anyone anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Etienne Sabino out for a month with a fractured leg. Being already thin at LB, it will be interesting to see how some kids mature.
    That really sucks, both for him and the team. I'm not sure you can play Shazier, Grant and Klein, but if you don't do that you have a true frosh.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It is indeed. It was pretty likely that this was going to be a down year for the conference based on graduation and general turmoil, but still much worse than I think anyone anticipated.
    I understand but there's no way a conference as big and powerful as this one should ever be this far down. This isn't the Big East or the ACC we're talking about here

I understand but there's no way a conference as big and powerful as this one should ever be this far down. This isn't the Big East or the ACC we're talking about here
    And luckily I'd say the BIG is still better than those two. I think this will continue to more of the norm with more and more parity and not just in the Big 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    And luckily I'd say the BIG is still better than those two. I think this will continue to more of the norm with more and more parity and not just in the Big 10.
    I think you're right but why is it even a question? I suppose you may be right if your point is that all conferences except for the SEC will have football yrs like this but I don't know.

This is an Ohio State thread so I think it's important to note that OSU is fine and will continue to do their part in holding up the Big Ten but as a fan I feel cheated. Is there one compelling game this week in the BIG? I don't see one and that's a problem

I think you're right but why is it even a question? I suppose you may be right if your point is that all conferences except for the SEC will have football yrs like this but I don't know.

This is an Ohio State thread so I think it's important to note that OSU is fine and will continue to do their part in holding up the Big Ten but as a fan I feel cheated. Is there one compelling game this week in the BIG? I don't see one and that's a problem
    You have been railing on the B1G for a couple of years now. They shouldn't be as bad as they are this season but a down year was to be expected. Had OSU not been given a bowl ban they would be in the hunt for a BCS Championship game right now.

I do agree with you that the B1G has some issues. I think MSU is a good program but they lost their starting QB to graduation last season and are experiencing a rebuilding year. Same can be said about Wisconsin, who had some promise but Russell Wilson is staring in Seattle this season.

When I look at the issues that the B1G has I can point directly to Michigan as well as maybe Nebraska and PSU. Michigan has not done a good job in replacing Carr. They didn't deserve to go the a BCS bowl game last year and Hoke is having trouble developing star players. PSU hadn't been the same since the late 90's and early 2000's but the spanking they received from the NCAA set the program back 4+ years. And Nebraska hasn't found consistency under Pelini. It would be similar to the SEC having Alabama under a bowl ban, LSU trying to find an identity under several head coaches, Florida falling under tough times, and South Carolina graduating a starting NFL QB. The B1G teams aren't as good as their SEC counterparts, but lets not assume that they aren't better than the Big East or ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You have been railing on the B1G for a couple of years now. They shouldn't be as bad as they are this season but a down year was to be expected. Had OSU not been given a bowl ban they would be in the hunt for a BCS Championship game right now.

I do agree with you that the B1G has some issues. I think MSU is a good program but they lost their starting QB to graduation last season and are experiencing a rebuilding year. Same can be said about Wisconsin, who had some promise but Russell Wilson is staring in Seattle this season.

When I look at the issues that the B1G has I can point directly to Michigan as well as maybe Nebraska and PSU. Michigan has not done a good job in replacing Carr. They didn't deserve to go the a BCS bowl game last year and Hoke is having trouble developing star players. PSU hadn't been the same since the late 90's and early 2000's but the spanking they received from the NCAA set the program back 4+ years. And Nebraska hasn't found consistency under Pelini. It would be similar to the SEC having Alabama under a bowl ban, LSU trying to find an identity under several head coaches, Florida falling under tough times, and South Carolina graduating a starting NFL QB. The B1G teams aren't as good as their SEC counterparts, but lets not assume that they aren't better than the Big East or ACC.
    I don't really disagree with much of what you've written including your first line. I've actually been railing on the Big Ten for a decade. I think you've identified some very real problems. I'd add recruiting. They're not getting the top recruits (with the exception of Ohio State). And you are correct that OSU would be in the BCS mix this year but that'd be due to their weak schedule and the weakness of the conference in general. Again OSU is not the problem. They need some competition

I don't really disagree with much of what you've written including your first line. I've actually been railing on the Big Ten for a decade. I think you've identified some very real problems. I'd add recruiting. They're not getting the top recruits (with the exception of Ohio State). And you are correct that OSU would be in the BCS mix this year but that'd be due to their weak schedule and the weakness of the conference in general. Again OSU is not the problem. They need some competition
    There are issues with the Big 10. I will leave OSU out of the discussion because for the most part they have been a top 5 program in the country since Cooper left. It helps that that Ohio has been a decent bed for college recruits.

Now to the main issues. If I were to rank programs I would say that Michigan, PSU, and Nebraska are all big time programs. The Rich Rod hire set Michigan back 5+ years. Guy was over his head, pissed too many UM people off, and recruited the type of player that made WVU successful in the Big East. PSU's issue was Paterno holding on for too long. Prior to the scandal they were a marquis destination but no one knew how long Paterno was going to stay and coaches used that against him. Paterno also wasn't on the front edge of innovation. He was Woody Hayes coaching in the 21st century.

Nebraska is struggling for an identity. I don't quite understand what direction they are going.

I think you can consider MSU and Wisconsin success stories over the past 5+ years. They don't have the big names like OSU or UM but have been rather successful in the B1G. For the most part other than OSU and Oregon (which I have a feeling the hammer will come down shortly) no team outside of the south or USC has been able to build a sustainable program.

Turn Off Ads?