Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 237

Thread: Ohio State Football 2012

  1. #166
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    You folks who follow Ohio State closely:

    Why do you suppose we're not hearing Tressel's name mentioned with all these job openings? Does he have a debt to pay to the NCAA for his misdoings? Has he made it clear that he's a Buckeye and doesn't desire another job? As a Tennessee alum, I'd be fine with them kicking the tires on Tressel. Just wonderin'.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You folks who follow Ohio State closely:

    Why do you suppose we're not hearing Tressel's name mentioned with all these job openings? Does he have a debt to pay to the NCAA for his misdoings? Has he made it clear that he's a Buckeye and doesn't desire another job? As a Tennessee alum, I'd be fine with them kicking the tires on Tressel. Just wonderin'.
    I believe he has a 4 or 5 year show-cause penalty.

  4. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As a Tennessee alum,
    well that explains a lot of things.

    I can't understand why Tennessee doesn't offer Tressel a job either. After Bruce Pearl, he'd fit right in.

  5. #169
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    791

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If Tressel came clean about Tatgate when he first found out about it, Pryor would have still been suspended and most likely would have gone pro like he did anyway.
    Tressel was informed of the situation in April 2010. Had he come clean, the Tat-5 would have missed the first four/five games of the '10 season and that would have been the end of it. There would have been no bowl ban as that was to rectify OSU playing Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl after Tress lied about when he was first told of the situation. Pryor would have been the QB in '11 and Miller would have been a first-time starter this season.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 12-06-2012 at 08:14 AM.

  6. #170
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,123

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You folks who follow Ohio State closely:

    Why do you suppose we're not hearing Tressel's name mentioned with all these job openings? Does he have a debt to pay to the NCAA for his misdoings? Has he made it clear that he's a Buckeye and doesn't desire another job? As a Tennessee alum, I'd be fine with them kicking the tires on Tressel. Just wonderin'.
    There is that show cause that he has to overcome. To be honest I don't know if he will take another college job. Its one of those things that you get to your dream job, have great success at your dream job, where else can you go?

    I have a feeling if he takes another job its a NFL job.

  7. #171
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    well that explains a lot of things.

    I can't understand why Tennessee doesn't offer Tressel a job either. After Bruce Pearl, he'd fit right in.
    So you think Tressel is tarnished beyond repair because of what happened in Columbus? OK, you might be right. That's why I threw it out there

  8. #172
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,602

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What you guys seem to be saying is that since Tressel is such a great guy that he is immune to criticism. That it's everybody else's fault but his. I guarantee you that you and your fellow Buckeye fans didn't take the same approach when tOSU lost a game.
    Re-read my post. I said he was guilty of breaking NCAA rules. He did lie and "cheat." However, doing those things does not necessarily mean a person is a liar or a cheater, as in that is their lifestyle.

    My objection is the flippant use of the strong words such as "liar" and "cheater," as if that was reflective of the character exhibited throughout his tenure at tOSU. Tressel was guilty, the nature of the rules infractions were serious, and he was crucified when all he deserved was a public flogging.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #173
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    he was crucified when all he deserved was a public flogging.
    Well, not exactly a public flogging. In fact, and in public, he was carried around on the field by his former players and received a standing ovation from grateful Buckeye fans in front of a national TV audience. Which is what prompted my complaint in the first place. Not exactly a crucifixion.

  10. #174
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,344

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Re-read my post. I said he was guilty of breaking NCAA rules. He did lie and "cheat." However, doing those things does not necessarily mean a person is a liar or a cheater, as in that is their lifestyle.
    I didn't say he was a liar and a cheater. I said what he did - lie and cheat - stigmatized him as a liar and cheater much like Buckeye fans see other coaches who break the rules as liars and cheaters. I'm sure non-Kentucky fans see John Calipari as a cheater even though the UK fans will come back and say that Calipari was cleared by the NCAA of any wrongdoing. It's easy - especially on a forum where you are anonymous - to call out rivals for wrongdoing but when your guy does the same thing, it's get the wagons in a circle and attack back. It's also easier to criticize when you don't know the man personally. That's why Red Buckeye is sensitive to criticism about Tressel. He knows the man and has personal knowledge of his good deeds. He feels that his good works trumps his mistakes.

    My objection is the flippant use of the strong words such as "liar" and "cheater," as if that was reflective of the character exhibited throughout his tenure at tOSU. Tressel was guilty, the nature of the rules infractions were serious, and he was crucified when all he deserved was a public flogging.
    Character is irrelevant in this discussion. My original comment was that Tressel's actions - and inactions - cost tOSU a chance at the BCS Championship this year. Only RiverRat13 has argued otherwise. Everyone else says that whatever mistakes Tressel made doesn't make him a bad guy. It would be nice if every coach and athlete did good deeds like Tressel did and does but if Tressel were a .500 coach at tOSU and lost a few times to Michigan, I don't think people would be all that quick to mention all the good deeds he did.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #175
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,346

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Tressel isn't the only one that failed here. It was an institutional failing. I'll go to my grave believing he told other people in the athletic department.

  12. #176
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,602

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Well, not exactly a public flogging. In fact, and in public, he was carried around on the field by his former players and received a standing ovation from grateful Buckeye fans in front of a national TV audience. Which is what prompted my complaint in the first place. Not exactly a crucifixion.
    Yea, well we're talking about two different things. The analogy was related to his firing and NCAA punishment, you were talking about the horror of honoring someone who had sinned. Have you finished that Scarlet block O with a line through it yet? Maybe you can have that ready by Christmas so we can put it under the tree for him. That'll show him.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  13. #177
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,602

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I didn't say he was a liar and a cheater. I said what he did - lie and cheat - stigmatized him as a liar and cheater much like Buckeye fans see other coaches who break the rules as liars and cheaters. I'm sure non-Kentucky fans see John Calipari as a cheater even though the UK fans will come back and say that Calipari was cleared by the NCAA of any wrongdoing. It's easy - especially on a forum where you are anonymous - to call out rivals for wrongdoing but when your guy does the same thing, it's get the wagons in a circle and attack back. It's also easier to criticize when you don't know the man personally. That's why Red Buckeye is sensitive to criticism about Tressel. He knows the man and has personal knowledge of his good deeds. He feels that his good works trumps his mistakes.



    Character is irrelevant in this discussion. My original comment was that Tressel's actions - and inactions - cost tOSU a chance at the BCS Championship this year. Only RiverRat13 has argued otherwise. Everyone else says that whatever mistakes Tressel made doesn't make him a bad guy. It would be nice if every coach and athlete did good deeds like Tressel did and does but if Tressel were a .500 coach at tOSU and lost a few times to Michigan, I don't think people would be all that quick to mention all the good deeds he did.
    Not one thing to refute there because its all speculation on your part.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #178
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,491

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Tressel isn't the only one that failed here. It was an institutional failing. I'll go to my grave believing he told other people in the athletic department.
    I've said this before on here and I will gladly say it again because it's coming directly from people who would know... Tressel did his job as he is supposed to do.

    Truthfully, if people knew the real story, it could be argued no rules were broken by Ohio State. But at minimum, Tressel did what the NCAA actually expects coaches to do in these situations.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  15. #179
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,623

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Like I said, there is more to life than football. He isn't just a football coach to me and my family.

    And I personally think the NCAA unfairly punished OSU. Teams in the SEC do far worse and nothing seems to happen to them.
    That's a load of crap. Any team in the SEC that did what OSU did wouldve faced the same outcome. Alabama has had to forfeit or vacate 29 games since the early 90's.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  16. #180
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,602

    Re: Ohio State Football 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That's a load of crap. Any team in the SEC that did what OSU did wouldve faced the same outcome. Alabama has had to forfeit or vacate 29 games since the early 90's.
    I guess we'll see with whatever is brewing with Auburn.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25