Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Integrity of The Game" Will Regulars Play After Clinching?

"Integrity of The Game" Will Regulars Play After Clinching?

We have all heard the integrity of the game thing. When (if) the Reds clinch, will Dusty be obligated to play the "regulars"? Pending when we clinch, we will have the Dodgers, Brewers, Pirates and Cardinals. I think we should be rewarded with giving the starting players a rest.

What do yo think?

I say rest them UNTIL the last series against the Cardinals then play each of those games like game 7.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Integrity of The Game" Will Regulars Play After Clinching?

Well last time we clinched we lost messed around and lost home field and had to play the Phillies in round 1. I think it's important to try to win as many games as possible to get a better seed in the playoffs. Also it seems more often than not that the team goin into he playoffs hot is more likely to make it far.

In addition to making the division championship more important, the two-team Wild Card format has made the number 1 overall seed more important as well. It's definitely possible that a team like L.A. would have to pull out all the stops on the final weekend to lock up the second Wild Card berth, then travel to Atlanta for one game and possibly head back to the west coast to start the playoffs. I'd much rather be playing them than a more rested San Francisco team.

That's a long winded way of saying that we have more to play for than just the divisional crown. If I'm Dusty, I'm strategically resting all my regulars in order to ensure they are sharp but not worn-down come playoff time. And I'm definitely not having days where I'm sitting more than a couple of my regulars.

I think the regulars need work to stay sharp. So, most of the regulars need to play on a given day. I would also have a rotation to give each of the regulars some off time.
    I think it may be more important to limit the innings of the rotation after we clinch. It seems that having such a healthy rotation, which is a blessing, also has a down side. Pretty much only Arroyo has been a full season like this, not missing a turn in the rotation. If there is a way to make the final couple of weeks as easy as possible on the starters, I think that would be great.
    At this point, is it true that we have only had 6 players start a game and the 6th was for a double header? I know that is very unusual.

Dusty should just keep doing what he's been doing all year long in regards to position players, get all of the vets regular rest. The only thing they should consider changing up would be which pitchers need rest, and with that I trust Brian Price to get the guys right in time.

Luckily we have quite a few off days already this month so that will help. But, I personally hope we can give plenty of rest to everyone - particularly Rolen, Ludwick, Votto, Hanigan, etc. Our last 6 regular season games are on the road so luckily it won't upset our home fans.

Take 1 day off for as many guys as possible the day after the clinch. Let the regulars have 1 night to celebrate. After that, go back to the same rotation we've done the last 2 weeks. Play your starters with lots of days off.

i would push for the #1 seed. Nats just got swept and have a tough schedule

I would rest some guys for a few days but play the Cardinals series hard the last 3 days to get everyone back up to game speed for the playoffs. Staying out of the #1 seed may be a good idea with the Cardinals getting Carpenter back and the Braves potentially having a better record as the WC winner than the Giants have.

None are the greatest match ups but at least the Giants are the least dangerous at home with only 22 HR there all year and without Melky Cabrera who has a big chunk of their home offense.

Correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt it be in our best intetest to not grab the number one seed? With the 2012 only Bud Selig genious NLDS format...the higher seed plays 1st two games on the road. They want the wild card winner to stay home. Dont know about you but i dont want to go out west for the first two games. I
    "Why you going to the Airport; flying somewhere?"

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    i would push for the #1 seed. Nats just got swept and have a tough schedule
    Dont want the #1 seed and face the Braves or Cards in the first round. cueto, rolen, frazier, ludwick all need to be severely limited. then maybe every1 go all out to knock the cardinals out of the playoffs and get every1 in sync

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    In addition to making the division championship more important, the two-team Wild Card format has made the number 1 overall seed more important as well. It's definitely possible that a team like L.A. would have to pull out all the stops on the final weekend to lock up the second Wild Card berth, then travel to Atlanta for one game and possibly head back to the west coast to start the playoffs. I'd much rather be playing them than a more rested San Francisco team.

Not me, the #1 seed's first two games of a five game series is on the road

I'd play my A team against St. Louis only, add to the hatred lol.

Rest, rest, rest...get Cueto and Chapman as ready as possible...keep Rolen and Hanigan extra fresh....

Play to win.

The Cardinals are the reigning world series champs....if you get chance to knock them out, you better go for it.

Some momentum would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Not me, the #1 seed's first two games of a five game series is on the road
    The #2 seed's first 2 games are on the road too. Are you saying you would rather have the #3 seed?

Turn Off Ads?