Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani

Tony Cingrani

Fangraphs takes a look at Tony Cingrani. Where did his velocity go? Plenty of video if you like that kinda stuff.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ails-to-cincy/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tony Cingrani

What do you mean where did his velocity go?

Cingrani and Billy Hamilton (at DH) made the first team Baseball America minor league all star team. Cingrani was one of a very few pitchers selected for that team.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What do you mean where did his velocity go?
    His first scouting reports had him throwing harder, but I guess that was based on his time closing in college.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    His first scouting reports had him throwing harder, but I guess that was based on his time closing in college.
    All reports I had from him this year as a starter had him around 90 MPH, give or take a MPH or 2. Topping out around 93.

John Sickels said he had a report of him working 91-93 and topping out at 96. That must have been in the California League, because the broadcasters in AA never saw that guy.

Likewise, as a reliever thus far in the Majors, he has topped out around 94-95, but mostly worked in that 89-92 range.

Either way though, I am not worried about his fastball at all, whether it is 89-90 or 93+. The pitch is nails when he is on. It is his other pitches that worry me.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Here is another article written by fangraphs on Tony Cingrani.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...early-success/

This one is definitely more optimistic.

A left-handed Rick Sutcliffe? I'd take that...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

It will be interesting to see if he sticks in the bullpen to begin next season (as a part of the MLB club), or if they send him down to Louisville to possibly continue on as a starter. It would give us some much needed depth at the starter spot (beyond the 5 guys that we currently have).

My limited impression of Cingrani is he has a sharp mental edge and lots of confidence. We'll see how he responds to adversity, which has been very rare in his pro career so far. I really expect to see improvement from his secondary pitches this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if he sticks in the bullpen to begin next season (as a part of the MLB club), or if they send him down to Louisville to possibly continue on as a starter. It would give us some much needed depth at the starter spot (beyond the 5 guys that we currently have).
    It would be a very poor personel decision to not let him develop more in triple A too see if he will sink or swim as a starter. Though it did not stop the Reds from making the same choice with Chapman....
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I hope Cingrani stays in Louisville.. He needs to work on a breaking pitch.

The Reds should be able to add a 3rd LH to the bullpen through free agency.. I mean, let's face it.. that's not a critical need..definitely not worth stunting Cingrani's potential.

It would be nice to have Cingrani at AAA as the "emergency" starter too. Redmond is out of options after this season.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm betting Chapman's the closer again next season, especially if Leake, Bailey, Arroyo, Latos, and Cueto are all healthy.

That would make Cingrani and Corcino the AAA starting depth.

Which would be better, IMO, than than all but a handful of team's starting depth in the high minors.

If one of the starters (Arroyo? Leake? Bailey?) is dealt this offseason, Chapman gets slotted there, and, IMO, Cingrani moves to the pen as a late-inning arm (with Hoover, who, IMO, will be the RH set-up man next season if Chapman's still the closer).

Chapman Closer
    Marshall SU
    Hoover SU
    Arredondo MR
    Simon MR
    LeCure MR
    Bray/ Masset/ Ondrusek LR

Hoover Closer
    Marshall SU
    LeCure SU
    Cingrani MR
    Corcino MR
    Ondrusek/ Simon/ Arredondo LR
    Rogers/ Lotzkar LR

Hard to figure out a real bullpen as they're so funglible, but it's certainly possible the Reds could go cheap in the pen and still be largely effective. (Much like this season turned out to be, with rookies, unprovens, and youngsters playing key roles in every spot but Marshall's and, late in the year, Broxton's.
    Corcino LR

Chapman to the rotation. Move Bailey or Leake. Cingriani to be the final starter after Arroyo's contract expires.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Chapman to the rotation. Move Bailey or Leake. Cingriani to be the final starter after Arroyo's contract expires.
    We have to be careful about not taking the rotation's health for granted. If they trade away Bailey or Leake, they better sign some really good minor league free agents as insurance for having an average amount of pitching injuries next season. And you never know when a young starter could go all Jair Jurrjens on everybody. Heck, maybe 2012 is the calm before Bronson Arroyo's storm. I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind hanging on to the pitching. It would have to take a really good offer to bowl me over.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    We have to be careful about not taking the rotation's health for granted. If they trade away Bailey or Leake, they better sign some really good minor league free agents as insurance for having an average amount of pitching injuries next season. And you never know when a young starter could go all Jair Jurrjens on everybody. Heck, maybe 2012 is the calm before Bronson Arroyo's storm. I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind hanging on to the pitching. It would have to take a really good offer to bowl me over.
    I imagine one could expect Cingriani to be a dependable fill-in if necessary next season. That's probably a better reserve option than many teams have.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?