Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotation change

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Rotation change

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Rotation change

They did this earlier in the season, and had to change it when Cueto had a start pushed back. Not surprising that they would eventually try to get it back on track.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think I speak for a lot of folks when I say that they ought to either skip Cueto or replace him with Cingrani for a start.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think I speak for a lot of folks when I say that they ought to either skip Cueto or replace him with Cingrani for a start.
    Cueto has thrown more innings at this time of year than he ever has.He too may have a tired shoulder like Chapman.I would sit him for one start but not sure they will.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    They had a prime opportunity to shuffle and give him a few more off days. I'm guessing they still want him to have a shot at the Cy Young, which, if true, would be eternally silly.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Cueto has thrown more innings at this time of year than he ever has.He too may have a tired shoulder like Chapman.I would sit him for one start but not sure they will.
    I dont think Cueto is tired at all. His velocity was the highest its been all season at his start in Miami. He was consistently throwing his fastball at 94 and was up into the 96 range a few times. If he was tired his velocity would drop like Chapmans did. IMO his release point may be out of whack which is why he cannot get his breaking stuff over for strikes right now. Nothing a little watching of some video by he and Price and things should be worked out. However I wouldnt oppose to him missing a start but they better do it this next one. I think they would want him to use his last 2 starts to prepare for the postseason.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sometimes overthrowing can mess up your release point and make your pitches move less. Throwing your breaking ball harder will sometimes make it "flatten out" a little and reduce the break. His location has been a bit off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Sometimes overthrowing can mess up your release point and make your pitches move less. Throwing your breaking ball harder will sometimes make it "flatten out" a little and reduce the break. His location has been a bit off as well.
    Any chance that he actually is a bit fatigued and is trying to compensated by throwing "harder"? The net effect is no change in velocity but a loss of command from the extra effort.

That is, perhaps if he maintained his normal mechanics and so forth he'd be throwing 90-92, but he's trying to offset that and it's screwing him up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I would leave it up to Price to decide if Cueto needs some time off. As already stated if it were fatigue I think we would be seeing a dip in velocity. I'm not a fan at all of going Cueto, Arroyo, Latos in October.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Any chance that he actually is a bit fatigued and is trying to compensated by throwing "harder"? The net effect is no change in velocity but a loss of command from the extra effort.

That is, perhaps if he maintained his normal mechanics and so forth he'd be throwing 90-92, but he's trying to offset that and it's screwing him up.
    Could be. It's along season. Just as possible that he is just a little out of whack on his mechanics and release point, which happens frequently with most pitchers. From all accounts, he works as hard or harder than anyone on his legs, which is the most important asset this late in the season. To still be getting it up there at 95 in September would be more a sign that he is not fatigued. That's just my opinion. The mental aspect of competing for the Cy Young award may be getting to him a little. Maybe trying to do too much.

Whether its an adjustment or a bit of fatigue, I think Cueto is in the same mode on the mound that a hitter is who is in a slump. It could just be randomness of the game as much as something we can easily explain away.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I believe Cueto has a history of pitching poorly in September and October in recent years. His ERA for September and August in 2010 was 4.32, in 2011 4.60, and this year 8.22. Those are not typical Cueto numbers.

I think the guy wears down by September.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I believe Cueto has a history of pitching poorly in September and October in recent years. His ERA for September and August in 2010 was 4.32, in 2011 4.60, and this year 8.22. Those are not typical Cueto numbers.

I think the guy wears down by September.
    Cueto's not the only ace that's struggling in Sept. Have you seen RA Dickey and Felix Hernandez recently? Strasburg's dip in performance played a role in him being shut down when he was. Are any Dodger aces healthy? Justin Verlander worst stretch of the year has been the past 28 days. It's just that time of year. I think a skipped start would be fine for Cueto as long as he replaces it with a nice bullpen session with Price

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Cueto's not the only ace that's struggling in Sept. Have you seen RA Dickey and Felix Hernandez recently? Strasburg's dip in performance played a role in him being shut down when he was. Are any Dodger aces healthy? Justin Verlander worst stretch of the year has been the past 28 days. It's just that time of year. I think a skipped start would be fine for Cueto as long as he replaces it with a nice bullpen session with Price

Good point.

The Cards have only one starter pitching particularly well right now, Lohse.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Good point.

The Cards have only one starter pitching particularly well right now, Lohse.
    But Carpenter is coming back and going to save their season. they dont need noone else
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Turn Off Ads?