Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red-Cubs series 9/18

Red-Cubs series 9/18

Reds play three with Cubs, two night games and an afternoon game on Thursday to complete the season series. Reds are 9-4 against Cubs this year based on my review of the schedule, hope I didn't miss anything. Games are at Wrigley where Cubs are 36-36 this season. Cubs with 7-3 record in last ten games. Bailey v. Germano, Leake v. Rusin, Cueto v. Berken. Cueto moved up in rotation to split Cueto/Latos duo. Cubs starters in this series are combined 3-10 with ERAs of 5.60, 5.06, 7.20, all small samples. Reds magic number 5.

Cards return home from west coast to face the Astros. Two night games, then Thursday afternoon. Lohse v. Abad, Lynn v. Harrell, Garcia v. Norris. Stros coming off highlight series of the season, beating Phils three of four. Stros 6-4 over last ten games, but 16-56 on the road and overall RS/RA of -206. Cards one up over LA for last wild card spot.

Nats lead Reds by 1.5 games for best NL record, have one more win than Cincy and two fewer losses. Nats now lead Braves by 5 games for NL East Championship after weekend Braves sweep, Nats with 16 games to go and Bravos with 14. Nats, with tough late schedule, face Dodgers for three in DC. Zimmermann v. Harang, Lannan v. Beckett, Detwiler v. Capuano, all night games.

Phils continue at CitiField after win over Dickey last night. Brewers play three at Pittsburgh Tues-Thurs, beginning tonight with Gallardo v. Burnett matchup of 15 game winners.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-18-2012 at 02:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Red-Cubs series 9/18

I expect the Astros to give the Cards fits in this series, probably to translate to at least one win. Harrell and Norris have been pitching well (yes I know about their home/road splits, but they both pitched well against the Reds in GABP recently). Further, Norris has been kryptonite to Cards offense historically. I'd be impressed if they sweep them again this time.

Good chance for Reds hitting to get well against minor league pitching, which means their woes will probably continue
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

The Reds are in trouble facing a couple of no name pitchers this series. They seem to always struggle against someone they have never seen before.
    Expect the Nats/Dodgers game to get rained out tonight. They are calling for heavy rain in the DC area this evening. It's already started in fact. So they may play two tomorrow.
    I really don't expect any help from the Astros. I know they are playing a little better but they probably hit their peak against the Phillies.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Here's one scenerio the Reds can control:

Get a mid week sweep of the cubbies (and who wouldn't love that in any given season, let alone one that will end in the postseason) and assuming there are no cancellations, the Reds will either depart w/ at a minimum a .5 game lead for the 1 seed, or will depart Chicago w/ at worst a WC spot locked up as all teams w/ the exception of St Louis & Atlanta would be able to catch them.

Not a bad scenerio if the boys can bring out their brooms. Of course lately, it seems like they've been using their broom handles more for bats than sweeping series vs teams well out of contention, but one can dream of clinching a playoff spot in the windy city, then clinching the division at home a night or 2 later.

Thursdays game looks like the perfect time to give Cingrani a start and rest Cueto. If they win the first two, wouldn't surprise me if that happens.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Thursdays game looks like the perfect time to give Cingrani a start and rest Cueto. If they win the first two, wouldn't surprise me if that happens.
    Cueto will be given a rest if they think it benefits him. Whether we win the first two or not won't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Cueto will be given a rest if they think it benefits him. Whether we win the first two or not won't make a difference.
    To try and keep a winning attitude, if they were to drop two against the Cubs I can see the ace of the staff back out there even if he needed a rest.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Any chance we see Cozart return in this series? Or is the oblique not ready? I've heard very little on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Agree, and my guess is the change in the rotation indicates no skipping of starts or further rotation changes for the starters.

If five man rotation continues Cueto, Arroyo, and Latos would end the regular season in St. Louis 10/1-10/3. Guessing that Reds would then use the same three to start the playoffs starting the weekend of the 6th/7th.

There is one more off day (Monday 9/24) so the Reds could change things around again. But the Cueto/Arroyo swap of starting positions seems to have been done with the playoffs in mind and I think that's what the Reds will do.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    To try and keep a winning attitude, if they were to drop two against the Cubs I can see the ace of the staff back out there even if he needed a rest.
    When you are perparing for the playoffs, wins are essentially meaningless.

The Reds won't send out a tiring Cueto simply because they have lost 2 games in a row. If the Reds don't rest Cueto, the only reason is they believe he doesn't need a rest.

Turn Off Ads?