0 0%
  • Dioner Navarro

10 26.32%
  • Wilson Valdez

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone Postseason Roster

RedsZone Postseason Roster

Okay, let's see if we can reach a consensus regarding who needs to be active for the playoffs. I'll post a poll, and we can add a player every day or so until we get to 25.

I figure that barring injury there are 19 mortal locks: Eight pitchers (Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover), and eleven position players (Votto, Phillips, Rolen, Cozart, Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Hanigan, Heisey, Frazier, Paul). So we'll add six more, starting today. Have at it...
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 09-19-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: RedsZone Postseason Roster

Just to be clear, this isn't who we think WILL be on the roster, but rather who SHOULD be on the roster?

For instance, Miguel Cairo shouldn't be anywhere close to the playoff roster, but I guarantee Dusty will put him on there without a second thought.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I was thinking SHOULD... Dusty gets to make the one that counts; this one is RedsZone's...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Reds will have one catcher and one middle infielder among that group.

So lets say, for sake of argument, both Navarro and Valez make it.

There will be at least 3 more pitchers, and Lecure is a lock. The other 2 pitchers are likely up for grabs.

If Reds management had any thought of going with 3 catchers (so that Navarro could PH earlier), Messoraco would be playing more, which he isn't.

So, I'm guessing right now it would be Navarro, Valdez, Lecure, Cairo, Arredondo, Ondrusek and Cingrani.

I would substitute Didi for Valdez and Mess for Cairo.

Are Cingrani and Gregorius even eligible. Maybe I am not up on the rules but I thought you had to be on the active 25 man roster (or DL) on August 31st to be eligible to be on a postseason roster. I did not think a September callup could be on the postseason roster.

Valdez, Navarro, Simon, Arrendondo, LeCure.

The last one is really tough.

Cairo.. in case Rolen's back acts up?
    Mes .. allows C to be used as PH?
    Or do you go with another pitcher so you can run out relievers like there's no tommorrow.

I would probably add Mes, so we'd have another bat to use off the bench.
    I think that's more useful in the playoffs than a 12th pitcher (with all the off days).
    Although I'm really going to look stupid if Rolen's back flares up in the playoffs, and we're short an INF (I just
    can't see them putting Rolen on the DL in the post season)..

I think Dusty is going to have to chose between Logan and Cairo.. will be interesting to see who he picks.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

For perspective, here is the 2010 postseason roster:

http://www.redreporter.com/2010/10/5...e-for-one-spot

The pitchers: Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Francisco Cordero, Arthur Rhodes, Nick Masset, Aroldis Chapman, Logan Ondrusek, Bill Bray, Homer Bailey and Travis Wood.

The position players: Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Orlando Cabrera, Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, Jonny Gomes, Ramon Hernandez, Ryan Hanigan, Chris Heisey, Laynce Nix, Miguel Cairo, Paul Janish and Edmonds or Francisco.
    (Francisco is bolded as he was chosen over Edmonds)
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

My 14 position players would be Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Hanigan, Frazier, Navarro, Heisey, Paul, Valdez. Last spot would go to Cairo or Mesoraco.

I would take Mesoraco because I think Navarro is a very capable switch hitting pinch hitter and would like the flexibility to use him with Mes backing up catcher. With Votto back, I don't think you need both Frazier and Cairo to back up infield. Obviously, Frazier stays. So Cairo goes.

Won't happen, Cairo will stay, Mes will sit out in all likelihood.

My 11 pitchers are Cueto, Arroyo, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, Broxton, Lecure, Marshall, Hoover, Arredondo. That leaves one spot. I would pick Mike Leake.

Leake is an emergency long man who bails out the bullpen (and the rotation) in case of injury or early knock out of a pitcher.

Hoover, Lecure and Arredondo provide sufficient middle relief. An argument could be made for Cingrani as a LOOGY but it's not his role, he lacks experience, and I think having Leake as a backstop is more important.

Ondrusek has pitched pretty well of late, Reds could be tempted to use him. But I think he loses out with Hoover making the team.

In a series where I'm using only 4 starters and have more days off than I do during the regular season, I'm carrying 15 position players to maximize my tactical options.

4 SP: Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey
    6 RP: Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, LeCure, Simon

3 C: Hanigan, Navarro, Mesoraco
    7 IF: Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Valdez, Frazier, Cairo
    5 OF: Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey, Paul

I'm carrying 3 hitters because I want Navarro as a switch-hitting PH option.

If we had to have 11 pitchers, I'd consider swapping out Cairo for Arredondo. But carrying Simon ahead of Arredondo gives me a long man in the event a game gets out of hand -- and frankly, in what may be a low run scoring environment, I don't want the guy with command problems.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Leake's ability to pinch run and even pinch hit might help him...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    This keeps getting overlooked. I agree. Mike will make the club.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This keeps getting overlooked. I agree. Mike will make the club.
    Just by looking at most of the comments (both on RZ and in the press) he won't make it. Right now he is the only SP w/o 10+ wins.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If we had to have 11 pitchers, I'd consider swapping out Cairo for Arredondo. But carrying Simon ahead of Arredondo gives me a long man in the event a game gets out of hand -- and frankly, in what may be a low run scoring environment, I don't want the guy with command problems.
    The nice thing about Arrondo is that he's pretty effective vs LH.
    He could be used in a middle inning situation with lefties coming up, if you want to save Marshall or Marshall is too tired. Of course, there's the risk that he walks all the LH hitters It's a real shame that he wasn't able to get consistent control this year. I can see your arguement for keeping him off the postseason roster.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    That's a good point but I don't know if that's going to even be applicable in the post-season. How many games are you going to have where a situation comes up where you use a pitcher to pinch-hit? Pinch run, I can see that but guys like Homer or Bronson could be used in that role as well. If you want to use Leake for his bat and legs, you might as well make him part of the rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Just by looking at most of the comments (both on RZ and in the press) he won't make it. Right now he is the only SP w/o 10+ wins.
    RedsZone and the press are hardly authoritative on the subject.

Likely the Reds themselves don't know right now who they will select.

But Leake gives them a backup starter, a long man, an emergency hitter or pinch runner. He makes sense as the 25th man on the roster.

Might depend on whether he is throwing well the last couple of outings.

Turn Off Ads?