Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so who's on the 25 man roster ?

so who's on the 25 man roster ?

Leake ?

paul ?

homer bailey ?

cairo ?

let's discuss this ladies and gentleman !!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: so who's on the 25 man roster ?

Paul
    Homer?

If you mean the 25-man playoff roster then I think there are going to be a couple of upset folks come crunch time. Let's assume they go with 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

Pitchers that are a lock IMO -
    1)Cueto
    2)Latos
    3)Arroyo
    4)Bailey

5)Chapman
    6)Broxton
    7)Marshall

8)Arredondo
    9)LeCure

That means Leake, Simon, Hoover and Ondrusek are fighting for two spots. You would want a long man. That would be a coin flip between Leake and Simon. And another coin flip between Ondrusek and Hoover. I would go Simon and Hoover which means Dusty will go with Leake and Ondrusek.

14 Position players would probably break down along the lines of 3 catchers, 6 infielders and 5 outfielders.

Catcher -
    1)Hanigan
    2)Mesoraco
    3)Navarro

Infielders -
    1)Votto
    2)Phillips
    3)Cozart
    4)Rolen
    5)Frazier
    6)Valdez

Last spot would be between Valdez and Cairo. I have to believe Soft V (for versatility) wins that nod.

Outfielders -
    1)Bruce
    2)Ludwick
    3)Stubbs
    4)Heisey
    5)Paul

Would they count Frazier as an outfielder, bumping Paul and keeping Cairo? Once again, I wouldn't meaning Dusty quite possibly will.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-05-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Here's mine as of today...

Pitchers

Position players.

1. Votto
    2. Phillips
    3. Cozart
    4. Rolen
    5. Hanigan
    6. Bruce
    7. Heisey
    8. Ludwick
    9. Navarro
    10. Paul
    11. Stubbs
    12. Frazier
    13. Valdez
    14. Cairo

Pitchers

15. Cueto
    16. Latos
    17. Arroyo
    18. Chapman
    19. Broxton
    20. Marshall
    21. Simon
    22. Arrendondo
    23. LeCure
    24. Bailey
    25. Leake

I think Dusty will take someone over Leake.

Certainly don't need two long men in addition to Bailey. IIRC, Homer actually served as a long man in 2010. I think that's his role this year, as well, along with Lecure.

From recent indications, it appears Mes is off.

If it comes down to two of Valdez, Cairo, and Paul, I think you keep Paul and Valdez.

Like to see Hoover over Ondrussek, if it comes down to one of those two. I believe Logan is nothing more than a replacement level reliever, as borne out by stats like FIP. For whatever reason, and it's probably the small sample, I have more confidence in Hoover.

Pitchers
    1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Arroyo
    4. Bailey
    5. Chapman
    6. Broxton
    7. Marshall
    8. Arredondo
    9. Lecure
    10. Hoover
    11. Simon

Position Players
    1. Votto
    2. Phillips
    3. Cozart
    4. Rolen
    5. Hanigan
    6. Ludwick
    7. Stubbs
    8. Bruce
    9. Frazier
    10. Navarro
    11. Mesoraco
    12. Paul
    13. Heisey
    14. Valdez

I could understand taking Leake just in case a starter gets bombed and we wanted a starter out of the pen to come in, mainly as an emergency guy, but I can't imagine they're trusting Leake that much right now. Between Lecure and Simon we could eat innings if we had to, and there are plenty of off days to rest the pen. So I will lean towards Simon. Valdez makes it in case of injury emergency in a game, he can bunt, and he can pinch run. Between Valdez and Cairo I wouldn't be upset either way we went to be honest.
    Last edited by Stray; 09-06-2012 at 01:01 PM.

IMO, they go with three catchers. If you just go with two you are hesitant to use that second catcher. That kinda leaves you a man short. If you have three catchers then Navarro can pinch-hit from either side if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Pitchers
    1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Arroyo
    4. Bailey
    5. Chapman
    6. Broxton
    7. Marshall
    8. Arredondo
    9. Lecure
    10. Hoover
    11. Simon

Position Players
    1. Votto
    2. Phillips
    3. Cozart
    4. Rolen
    5. Hanigan
    6. Ludwick
    7. Stubbs
    8. Bruce
    9. Frazier
    10. Navarro
    11. Mesoraco
    12. Paul
    13. Heisey
    14. Valdez

I could understand taking Leake just in case a starter gets bombed and we wanted a starter out of the pen to come in, mainly as an emergency guy, but I can't imagine they're trusting Leake that much right now. Between Lecure and Simon we could eat innings if we had to, and there are plenty of off days to rest the pen. So I will lean towards Simon. Valdez makes it in case of injury emergency in a game, he can bunt, and he can pinch run. Between Valdez and Cairo I wouldn't be upset either way we went to be honest.
    We picked the same 25. Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    IMO, they go with three catchers. If you just go with two you are hesitant to use that second catcher. That kinda leaves you a man short. If you have three catchers then Navarro can pinch-hit from either side if needed.
    Totally agree. Mes will be the backup catcher and Navarro will be used as a PHer. A switch hitter with power off the bench is nice to have.

How many times in the last decade has a Reds catcher had to leave a game due to injury?

We picked the same 25. Should I be worried?
    Lol great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    How many times in the last decade has a Reds catcher had to leave a game due to injury?
    That is irrelevant. I actually agree with you. But if Dusty is hesistant to use his backup catcher because of that concern, then facts do not matter. It's what Dusty believes that matters. And I believe that Dusty's mindset is such that he wants a backup catcher on the bench nearly all the time.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-06-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Oh... I agree completely. Ridiculous logic by Dusty but spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Pitchers
    1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Arroyo
    4. Bailey
    5. Chapman
    6. Broxton
    7. Marshall
    8. Arredondo
    9. Lecure
    10. Hoover
    11. Simon

Position Players
    1. Votto
    2. Phillips
    3. Cozart
    4. Rolen
    5. Hanigan
    6. Ludwick
    7. Stubbs
    8. Bruce
    9. Frazier
    10. Navarro
    11. Mesoraco
    12. Paul
    13. Heisey
    14. Valdez

This is the 25 man I'd like to see.

Why would Dusty trust Mes, now? Of the 3 top starters, he hasn't caught a one of them. You could argue that, yes, he has caught possibly every arm in the pen, but then again, he has been less than stellar, at the plate. I just don't see a spot for him on the roster.
    If Didi is eligible, I take him over .180 Valdez. As for the pitchers, I take Leake over Simon, more because, he has more value, than just pitcher.
    I also feel that Cairo is on it, because he likely won't have many, if any, more chances.

Turn Off Ads?