Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AL mvp....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

AL mvp....

Everyplace I've read/heard it seems people are ready to crown Mike Trout the RoY AND mvp this season. I'll admit, he's got a pretty darned good case for it. But Miguel Cabrera has really snuck up on me. This late in the season, we've got a legitimate triple crown candidate.

1st in BA (.333 over Trout's .327 in 2nd place)
    2nd in HR's (41 behind Josh Hamilton's league leading 42)
    1st in RBI (130 over Hamiton's 123 in 2nd place)

I know WAR is the newest "in" stat and is usually the first thing people point to in favor of Trout winning the MVP. 10.2 for Trout, 6.6 is second in the AL (with Cabrera 3rd at 6.5). I know Trout's been great, but I just can't see how they can't give it to Cabrera especially if he pulls off the triple crown.

What do you guys think? Who's your AL mvp?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AL mvp....

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Everyplace I've read/heard it seems people are ready to crown Mike Trout the RoY AND mvp this season. I'll admit, he's got a pretty darned good case for it. But Miguel Cabrera has really snuck up on me. This late in the season, we've got a legitimate triple crown candidate.

1st in BA (.333 over Trout's .327 in 2nd place)
    2nd in HR's (41 behind Josh Hamilton's league leading 42)
    1st in RBI (130 over Hamiton's 123 in 2nd place)

I know WAR is the newest "in" stat and is usually the first thing people point to in favor of Trout winning the MVP. 10.2 for Trout, 6.6 is second in the AL (with Cabrera 3rd at 6.5). I know Trout's been great, but I just can't see how they can't give it to Cabrera especially if he pulls off the triple crown.

What do you guys think? Who's your AL mvp?
    I think defense and baserunning matter too.

- Trout is a gold glove caliber CF, who has stolen 46 bases and got caught just 4 times and grounded in to just 7 double plays (and don't tell me about opportunities while citing RBI...)

- Miguel Cabrera is a DH playing 3B who has stolen 4 bases in 5 attempts while grounding in to a league leading 28 double plays.

WAR is the "in" stat because it look at all the ways a player produces and saves runs. And when you do that, the idea that Cabrera deserves MVP over Trout is sort of silly -- tantamount to saying defense and baserunning simply do not matter at all.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't disagree. Defense & baserunning most certainly matter. But if he pulls off the triple crown...which hasn't been done since Yaz...I just don't see how they CAN'T give it to him.

I just think it puts things in a very interesting situation. By the new standards, it's clearly Trout's to lose. But by the old standards, how can the triple crown winner (possibly) NOT be the league MVP? It just struck me as a very interesting scenario shaping up (if he pulls it off that is).

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think the triple crown is kind of a cute stat, like the cycle, but the argument for Cabrera is that he's been - by a good margin - the best player in the batter's box in either league this year, and he unselfishly moved back to third base (losing a fair amount of weight to do it) without complaining openly and played adequately there.

The argument for Trout is that he has been the second-most-valuable offensive player in the major leagues even if you disregard his defense [link]. Even if you're skeptical about advanced defensive metrics - as am I - it's obvious that he's been a standout defensive player.

These are both very special players.
    Stick to your guns.

Trout.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't disagree. Defense & baserunning most certainly matter. But if he pulls off the triple crown...which hasn't been done since Yaz...I just don't see how they CAN'T give it to him.

I just think it puts things in a very interesting situation. By the new standards, it's clearly Trout's to lose. But by the old standards, how can the triple crown winner (possibly) NOT be the league MVP? It just struck me as a very interesting scenario shaping up (if he pulls it off that is).
    They can not give it to him because he isn't as valuable as Trout.

Lou Gehrig won the triple crown one year and finished 5th in the MVP voting. Ted Williams won it twice and didn't get the MVP in either year.

Trout is the most valuable player in the American League. And baseball for that matter. Whether or not he wins the award is in question (although I think he will). Whether or not he deserves it is not in question. He's the most valuable player in the AL, and should win the award, and I certainly hope he does.

Citing WAR as the "in" stat is mocking the fact that value should be placed on defense and baserunning. Trout plays a difficult defensive position, and plays it incredibly. While being a great power threat, and a baserunning threat. He's as close to a perfect baseball player as you could craft in today's game.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think it's pretty simple.

If Cabrera wins the Triple Crown, he's the MVP. If not, it's Trout.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I think the triple crown is kind of a cute stat, like the cycle, but the argument for Cabrera is that he's been - by a good margin - the best player in the batter's box in either league this year, and he unselfishly moved back to third base (losing a fair amount of weight to do it) without complaining openly and played adequately there.

The argument for Trout is that he has been the second-most-valuable offensive player in the major leagues even if you disregard his defense [link]. Even if you're skeptical about advanced defensive metrics - as am I - it's obvious that he's been a standout defensive player.

These are both very special players.
    It also hasn't been over 40 years since someone hit for the cycle.

Triple crown or not could end up beside the point, the Tigers are only 2 back in that division with nothing but Twins and Royals left on their schedule, while the White Sox play the Angels next, then Indians and Rays. Right or wrong, if Cabrera stays hot and the Tigers get in, I think they vote him the MVP because of that, if they don't get in, I think Trout still wins it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

I don't think something that likely won't happen isn't considered "simple".

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Trout is the most valuable player in the American League. And baseball for that matter. Whether or not he wins the award is in question (although I think he will). Whether or not he deserves it is not in question. He's the most valuable player in the AL, and should win the award, and I certainly hope he does.

Citing WAR as the "in" stat is mocking the fact that value should be placed on defense and baserunning. Trout plays a difficult defensive position, and plays it incredibly. While being a great power threat, and a baserunning threat. He's as close to a perfect baseball player as you could craft in today's game.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't mocking WAR. Far from it. I was only pointing it out because prior to this season they never included WAR in the listed stats on ESPN and now that they do, more people are aware of it. Like it or not, not everyone is a SABR fan. As for me personally, I'm aware of what WAR is, but to be honest I have zero clue as to how it's figured.

The point I was trying to make is that the triple crown is a very rare achievement by current standards. For a player to get that and NOT win the MVP will be pretty shocking to most average baseball fans. The SABR followers, not so much. It just seemed like a perfect example of old school vs. new school.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

This is what I'm thinking too. Arguments could be made for either guy, but the triple crown tilts it considerably IMO.

Just to be clear, I wasn't mocking WAR. Far from it. I was only pointing it out because prior to this season they never included WAR in the listed stats on ESPN and now that they do, more people are aware of it. Like it or not, not everyone is a SABR fan. As for me personally, I'm aware of what WAR is, but to be honest I have zero clue as to how it's figured.

The point I was trying to make is that the triple crown is a very rare achievement by current standards. For a player to get that and NOT win the MVP will be pretty shocking to most average baseball fans. The SABR followers, not so much. It just seemed like a perfect example of old school vs. new school.
    Right. I didn't mean to imply you were mocking WAR, I was really referring to the media types that tend to dismiss it.

Triple crown is extremely rare, and incredibly impressive. I don't think it necessarily should translate to MVP automatically, but I'm sure there are several that will vote that way.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Except even in the the old school era, winning the triple crown certainly didn't guarantee winning the MVP.

Turn Off Ads?