Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: AL mvp....

Re: AL mvp....

The triple crown is a hitting award, it's all about hitting the ball (average) hitting it far (home runs) and driving in base runners (RBI's)

It leans on the oldest stat in the game (batting average), the most glamorous (Home Runs Hello Babe Ruth!) and an odd stat invented by the early 20th century stat legend Ernest Lanigan (RBI)

And people wonder why they don't account for WAR when voting.

Probably the same reason they didn't use Total Average in 1982.

Personally I'm hoping for a repeat of the 1979 NL award

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The triple crown is a hitting award, it's all about hitting the ball (average) hitting it far (home runs) and driving in base runners (RBI's)

It leans on the oldest stat in the game (batting average), the most glamorous (Home Runs Hello Babe Ruth!) and an odd stat invented by the early 20th century stat legend Ernest Lanigan (RBI)

And people wonder why they don't account for WAR when voting.

Probably the same reason they didn't use Total Average in 1982.

Personally I'm hoping for a repeat of the 1979 NL award
    You mean the same year they went completely nutty and awarded the Cy Young to a relief pitcher?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Put me down for believing WAR overvalues CFers and SSs. If WAR is the sole metric to determine MVP then there will be a lot of CFers and SSs winning going forward.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You mean the same year they went completely nutty and awarded the Cy Young to a relief pitcher?
    BUT.... he had a magic pitch that hypnotized them all!

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Put me down for believing WAR overvalues CFers and SSs. If WAR is the sole metric to determine MVP then there will be a lot of CFers and SSs winning going forward.
    There wasn't a single shortstop in the top 25 of WAR leaders this year. Last year, Jose Reyes and Troy Tulowitzki were in the top 25, but they were outside the top 15.

Centerfielders rank pretty high, but one could argue it's because right now there are several really, really good ones (Kemp, Trout, McCutchen, etc.)
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If this were actually true, wouldn't WAR leader boards whether it's by season or from the 1800s to 2012 be clogged at the top ith Shortstops and CFers?

That's not the case BTW.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

MLB network just called the Triple Crown for Miggy. Trout would need to to 5 for 5 and or Granderson would have to hit 3 HR in final 3 ABs. Something like that...
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If this were actually true, wouldn't WAR leader boards whether it's by season or from the 1800s to 2012 be clogged at the top ith Shortstops and CFers?

That's not the case BTW.
    Well there are 6 times more other positions than ss and cf. So the leaderboards would be filled with other positions obviously. But the facts may not back up my perception. Its more a belief or hypothesis.

Well there are 6 times more other positions than ss and cf. So the leaderboards would be filled with other positions obviously. But the facts may not back up my perception. Its more a belief or hypothesis.
    Sorry 3 times more.

He won it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    He won it.
    Nice

it's like pulling a royal flush

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Now Votto in 2013.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Miguel Cabrera 1st man to win a triple crown without a triple

I actually think it undervalues the position of 1B, myself. First basemen touch the ball the most other than the pitcher and catcher. The ability to save errors from bad throws is undervalued as well. I've seen it first had all those years having Pujols save horrible throws from Skip Schumaker from going into the stands.

Seeing a triple crown in my lifetime is awesome. Born in 1970, so this is the first.

Have no problems if he were to win the MVP, and in bizarro world where I have a vote, that's who I vote for #1 on my ballot.

Turn Off Ads?