Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: AL mvp....

Re: AL mvp....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I agree with this completely, which is why I don't think it is crazy to believe that this may actually be the best season that Mike Trout ever has. If he regresses his BABIP, and that is incredibly likely, he is going to have to pick up his power, lower his strikeouts by a decent chunk or walk a lot more than he already does. Those things could certainly be possible given his age. But, Mike Trout does have a hit on 38.1% of the balls he has put in play this year. Those count just as much as those cheap home runs hit in Yankee Stadium count.
    If Trout maintains his current LD and GB rates, with his speed, I'm not sure that BABIP is really going to dip much.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If Cabrera played for the Whitesox, it's very likely that we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    If Cabrera played for the White Sox they would be in the playoffs and we would be having this very exact conversation.

If Cabrera played for the Whitesox, it's very likely that we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Count me in with bucksfan2, I suspect Cabrera would have a stronger case with the White Sox:

1) His team probably would have run away with the division.

2) He'd be playing in a larger media market.

3) His home park would be giving his numbers a bit more padding.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If he was a camel we wouldn't either.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts Christmas would be everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If he was a camel we wouldn't either.
    Dromedary or Bactrian?

If he was a three-hump camel, that might do it. Haven't seen one of those since 1967.

It's pretty clear that the point was: A significant amount of support for Cabrera is derived from the fact that his team is in the playoffs.

If he wasn't in the playoffs, would he still be MVP-worthy? He's pretty much had an identical year to last year. If his team had wrapped it up two weeks ago, would he still be MVP-worthy. Verlander has largely had an identical year this season as last and no one is talking about him in terms of the MVP who led his team past the CHiSox.

In other words, alot of the value being ascribed to Cabrera is assumed value based upon a romantic narrative.

So if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts and using this cliche actually made a salient point, why is the date for Christmas so arbitrary in this debate?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The rush for a simple answer, IMO, is passing by a chance to think more broadly about the game.
    Great, let's talk about those things I omitted; those things that fall outside of WAR. What are they? Cabrera's move to 3B? Clubhouse leadership? I'm 100% for thinking as broadly as possible. However, if in going broad you get so nebulous, vague and undefined that there is no such thing as objectivity, what's the point? What I'm asking for isn't simplicity. It's clarity, transparency and consistency.

I'm all for including whatever other factors you want to include. I may disagree with your choices, but at least we can have the conversation. But I want those factors to be both stated explicit and equally applied. For example, to talk about Cabrera's leadership, but make no mention of Trout's makes for an unfair comparison. To dismiss GIDP because of batting order but to not treat RBI with skepticism for the same reason in unfair. It ends up turning in to an exercise in cherry picking a set of criteria that supports a conclusion already arrived at.

If people go through a process of comparing the players across a discrete set of criteria and come out Cabrera on top, that's one thing. But I want people to be intellectually honest and consistent in how they define value and how each guy rates across that definition and to be willing to defend the definition they choose.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 10-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Since when does Cabrera get marks for leadership? The Marlins traded him because he was overweight, had questions about his work ethic and was sketchy in the clubhouse. Since he has gone to Detroit, he's had numerous run-ins with the law and a reported drinking problem.

I didn't think leadership was one of his so-called strongsuits.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It's pretty clear that the point was: A significant amount of support for Cabrera is derived from the fact that his team is in the playoffs.
    I don't know that it is. His team's strong finish certainly helps, but if Cabrera had played just as well down the stretch and his team fell short, his support might be near identical.

Trout's getting some demerits for flagging down the stretch while his team fell short. By the same token, he might still be getting those demerits if the Angels were in the playoffs (based on him not being the main man on the team when it made its big push).

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Great, let's talk about those things I omitted; those things that fall outside of WAR. What are they? Cabrera's move to 3B? Clubhouse leadership? I'm 100% for thinking as broadly as possible. However, if in going broad you get so nebulous, vague and undefined that there is no such thing as objectivity, what's the point? What I'm asking for isn't simplicity. It's clarity, transparency and consistency.

I'm all for including whatever other factors you want to include. I may disagree with your choices, but at least we can have the conversation. But I want those factors to be both stated explicit and equally applied. For example, to talk about Cabrera's leadership, but make no mention of Trout's makes for an unfair comparison. To dismiss GIDP because of batting order but to not treat RBI with skepticism for the same reason in unfair. It ends up turning in to an exercise in cherry picking a set of criteria that supports a conclusion already arrived at.

If people go through a process of comparing the players across a discrete set of criteria and come out Cabrera on top, that's one thing. But I want people to be intellectually honest and consistent in how they define value and how each guy rates across that definition and to be willing to defend the definition they choose.
    I didn't dismiss GIDP, far from it. And if you're going to type garbage like that, then go waste someone else's time with your pointless drivel.

If Miggy gets the triple crown there is no argument for anyone else. Plus his team is in the postseason. To me thats a no-brainer. 47 years since Yaz done it??? Kind of crazy it hasnt happened in that long.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    If Miggy gets the triple crown there is no argument for anyone else. Plus his team is in the postseason. To me thats a no-brainer. 47 years since Yaz done it??? Kind of crazy it hasnt happened in that long.
    Why should he be rewarded for what his team did? That is a concept I have never understood.

As for the triple crown.... great, but what does it actually mean? Simply leading the league in average, home runs and RBI does not mean you produced more than everyone else. Is it awesome that he has done it? Sure is. As a baseball fan, it really is awesome. But that alone doesn't make him the most valuable player.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    If the triple crown included things besides just hitting, I'd agree, but it doesn't, so it really shouldn't be the only factor in deciding who wins the MVP. And history tells us it never has been.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the triple crown included things besides just hitting, I'd agree, but it doesn't, so it really shouldn't be the only factor in deciding who wins the MVP. And history tells us it never has been.
    And it doesn't even give us the best snapshot of hitting, as it doesn't include doubles, triples or walks.

Turn Off Ads?