Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: AL mvp....

Re: AL mvp....

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    There is plenty a player does off the field that effects his value to his team, in my opinion.
    That's not really my point. I agree with that, but influencing value and being used to determine an award for performance seem like two different things.

Do I think those things are valuable to a team? Sure. Do I think they should be considered for a performance award? No.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    A few points about the Cabrera move to third debate.

1. One could argue that Cabrera moving to third increased his value without arguing that it was enough to justify giving him the MVP over Trout.

2. One can argue that being flexible and willing to switch positions for the betterment of the team adds value to that player without conceding that that is what Cabrera did this season.

3. I think there are plenty of examples of things that a player does like being willing to move off of his position that leads to more wins, even if it doesn't show up in stats.
    The sabermetric argument for Trout might be something like this-despite moving to third, Cabrera was 2.9 WAR less valuable than Trout.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Carbrera won AL MVP. He won 26 1st place votes, Trout won 6.

I guess we're not "there" yet.. Still inching closer though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Tigers are going to the World Series. IMO, that makes Cabrera's case a little stronger.
    Although voting is done before the playoffs start, I think the Tigers making it to the post-season really helped Cabrerra.

I'm not saying that I agree with the thinking, but in past MVP history, there are plenty of times where the player going to the post-season has an edge over one whose team didn't make it. Braun last year was on the NL Central champ Brewers, Votto on the Reds when they won the division in 2010.... THere are exceptions, but it helped Miguel.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I had to leave the internet and TV for a few hours tonight. The amount of people saying that Mike Trout was the best player but that Miguel Cabrera was the MVP was mind numbing. Multiple "analysts" on MLB Network said it. "Hey guys, this $10 bill will get you more than this $5 bill, but that $5 bill is more valuable". My hair looked like this by 6:35:

IMO, the Cabrera-Trout argument got tedious. I'd have voted for Jeter, based on career achievement (and just to hack off the maximum number of people).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I had to leave the internet and TV for a few hours tonight. The amount of people saying that Mike Trout was the best player but that Miguel Cabrera was the MVP was mind numbing. Multiple "analysts" on MLB Network said it. "Hey guys, this $10 bill will get you more than this $5 bill, but that $5 bill is more valuable".
    Yes it all comes down to people not understanding what the word "valuable" means.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Yes it all comes down to people not understanding what the word "valuable" means.
    Or, more accurately, having different opinions of what "valuable" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Or, more accurately, having different opinions of what "valuable" means.
    Exactly. This is not the best WAR award. Congrats to Mr. Cabrera on a heckuva season.

I'm sure all the Sabernatricians are in mourning today but IMO this was an easy pick for MVP. Cabrera did something that no one had done in 45 years plus and most importantly he led his team into the playoffs and World Series. If the Tigers didn't make the playoffs or were just a really poor team then Trout may have got the vote. But considering all of what Carbrera accomplished it was an easy pick.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I had to leave the internet and TV for a few hours tonight. The amount of people saying that Mike Trout was the best player but that Miguel Cabrera was the MVP was mind numbing. Multiple "analysts" on MLB Network said it. "Hey guys, this $10 bill will get you more than this $5 bill, but that $5 bill is more valuable". My hair looked like this by 6:35:
    You had to leave the Internet and TV? Is that the new "I had to leave the house"?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

First Venezuelan to win it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Congrats, Miguel Cabrera! Great season!

Congrats to Miggy. There is no way this guy doesn't win it this year.

Turn Off Ads?