Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: AL mvp....

Re: AL mvp....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not arguing who will do what, because I could care less what a bunch of beat writers think. I am arguing who should be. And it should be Mike Trout, because he is the better player this year, which makes him the most valuable player this year, even if the writers don't give him enough votes to get the trophy that says so.
    Trout's numbers have been trending down, I wonder if it is random, fatigue, the league starting to get a read on him or other. But if he had played a full season in Anaheim the potential is there for his numbers to really fade down the stretch. That could also factor into a decision.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Trout's numbers have been trending down, I wonder if it is random, fatigue, the league starting to get a read on him or other. But if he had played a full season in Anaheim the potential is there for his numbers to really fade down the stretch. That could also factor into a decision.
    I think it is BABIP rearing its ugly head. Through July 31st, his BABIP was .402. Since August 1st, it is merely .333.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think it is BABIP rearing its ugly head. Through July 31st, his BABIP was .402. Since August 1st, it is merely .333.
    Could be fatigue. I imagine Trout will always have a high BABIP, because the guy is blazing fast and hits the ball extremely hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Could be fatigue. I imagine Trout will always have a high BABIP, because the guy is blazing fast and hits the ball extremely hard.
    Yes, but .333 BABIP is a high BABIP.

Yes, but .333 BABIP is a high BABIP.
    Sure, and it might sit there for the rest of his career. But I'll honestly be surprised if his doesn't lead the league annually. For example, Joey Votto's career BABIP is .358. I know you wouldn't predict a player to be an extreme outlier under normal circumstances, but most players also aren't Mike Trout.

I guess my point is, I wouldn't look at Mike Trout posting say a .370 BABIP and necessarily say that it's likely to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sure, and it might sit there for the rest of his career. But I'll honestly be surprised if his doesn't lead the league annually. For example, Joey Votto's career BABIP is .358. I know you wouldn't predict a player to be an extreme outlier under normal circumstances, but most players also aren't Mike Trout.

I guess my point is, I wouldn't look at Mike Trout posting say a .370 BABIP and necessarily say that it's likely to drop.
    But is/was the legend of Mike Trout partially built on babip, at least at the outset of 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    But is/was the legend of Mike Trout partially built on babip, at least at the outset of 2012?
    No, I don't think so. In the sense that he's playing over his head, no.

And even if that were the case, the writers wouldn't care, in terms of the MVP race.

Yes, even if Cabrera wins the triple crown, he would be undeserving of the award. He simply isn't going to finish the 2012 season more valuable than Mike Trout.
    What about leadership? You are just throwing that out the window? Trout is clearly not the leader on the Angels. So, you think Barry Larkin didn't deserve his MVP then?

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    What about leadership? You are just throwing that out the window? Trout is clearly not the leader on the Angels. So, you think Barry Larkin didn't deserve his MVP then?

Bum
    90% of the guys voting for this award didn't even talk to Mike Trout this year, nor did they talk to Miguel Cabrera, so they don't know about either guys leadership either.

And no, Barry Larkin absolutely didn't deserve the MVP that he got. He had a great season, but other guys simply had better ones.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

And no, Barry Larkin absolutely didn't deserve the MVP that he got. He had a great season, but other guys simply had better ones.
    The MVP has often not always been given to the "best" player that year, especially when the "best" player is not on a contending team. It's especially funny that Larkin was quite a bit better in 1996 than he was during his MVP season.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The MVP has often not always been given to the "best" player that year, especially when the "best" player is not on a contending team. It's especially funny that Larkin was quite a bit better in 1996 than he was during his MVP season.
    Well, if I were chosen to pick the MVP, it would go to the player who was the best player in each league, because they provided the most value.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Well, if I were chosen to pick the MVP, it would go to the player who was the best player in each league, because they provided the most value.

Yet that is not what has often happened.

I would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yet that is not what has often happened.
    Of course not, because writers seem to have some crazy ideas that only a player on a playoff contender can be valuable, or that, at least in the past, defense didn't matter much at all, nor did the position you played. I think that in general, they are getting better as a whole at understanding the game better than they used to. It is their award and they can do whatever they want with it in terms of voting or how they go about voting. But I would generally go about it quite differently than they have historically done it.

I can't say giving the All-Star vote to the fans has worked out real well-it's largely become a popularity contest. I'm not sure I would like to see the same thing with the MVP.

Turn Off Ads?