Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should be added to the postseason roster?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jose Arredondo

10 25.64%
  • Tony Cingrani

1 2.56%
  • Mike Leake

11 28.21%
  • Logan Ondrusek

1 2.56%
  • Alfredo Simon

6 15.38%
  • Miguel Cairo

1 2.56%
  • Didi Gregorius

2 5.13%
  • Devon Mesoraco

3 7.69%
  • Wilson Valdez

4 10.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone Postseason Roster- Day 3

Re: RedsZone Postseason Roster- Day 3

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    But we all now Valdez will make the roster for his "intangibles" over Didi and his really strong glove.

For the record, if Cozart is healthy, this argument doesn't really even matter. Hopefully neither player sees the field as Cozart has a strong glove and doesn't need a defensive replacement and neither hits better than Cozart. I just am trying to rebut the argument that we need a backup middle infielder, so I voted for Valdez. If I was to select a 25 man Reds' playoff roster, Didi would be on it and Valdez (and Cairo for that matter) would not.
    I know it wasn't made clear in this thread, but in the first version of this thread the OP asked us to vote for who SHOULD BE on the roster, not who WILL BE on the roster. Instead of trying to predict what Dusty will do, vote based on what YOU would do.

I think it is pretty easy to predict what Dusty will do. It is a lot more interesting to hear what Redszoners would do.

By the way, I agree with you. Dusty will pick Valdez but I would pick Gregorius.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 09-21-2012 at 12:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Completely agree. Just because Valdez has been part of a great team this year does not mean that he has done anything to contribute to it. Now, I don't know about how much Valdez has contributed to the lockerroom or any of the stuff that is behind close doors, but there is absolutely no reason that Wilson Valdez should be on the playoff roster over Didi Gregorious for his batting or defensive abilities. Didi has him beat in both places.
    Agreed. Regarding Valdez's possible leadership contributions or locker room presence, he doesn't actually have to be on the active roster to perform those roles. He can still be in the clubhouse or sit on the bench in the dugout without being on the postseason roster. So even if someone thinks his leadership is irreplaceable it is still not a good enough reason to put him on the roster over someone who can actually contribute on the field at a major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Dioner made it in. Four spots left:

Pitchers (9): Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Marshall, Hoover, Broxton, LeCure, Arredondo, Leake

Catchers (2): Hanigan, Navarro

Infielders (5): Votto, Phillips, Rolen, Cozart, Frazier, Valdez, Cairo

Outfielders (5): Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey, Paul
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I would think we need Simon on there somewhere....

I voted for Leake. I think he would be fantastic out of the pen especially if one of our fireballers has to leave early. Besides, he can hit and run, too.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I like Arredondo here. He has good stuff, is having a good year, and he has playoff experience (0 runs allowed in 3.2 ip).

Completely agree. Just because Valdez has been part of a great team this year does not mean that he has done anything to contribute to it. Now, I don't know about how much Valdez has contributed to the lockerroom or any of the stuff that is behind close doors, but there is absolutely no reason that Wilson Valdez should be on the playoff roster over Didi Gregorious for his batting or defensive abilities. Didi has him beat in both places.
    Don't see how we can say Didi is better offensively.. He's had like 19 major league at bats.

Also, there's a "big picture" element here. In reality, barring injury, the odds that the backup MI is not going to make a difference in the playoffs is tiny.
    Part of the Reds building strategy is to try to convince veterans like Ludwick and Madson to come to the team (last offseason). If the Reds start doing cheesy stuff like leaving Valdez off the playoff roster in favor of a kid that didn't exactly tear it up in AAA.. that's a credibility hit when trying to attract FAs and tell them that there's opportunity in Cincy.

In reality, I don't think anyone wants to see either Gregorous or Valdez at the plate with the game on the line.. unless Valdez is up there to make a bunt.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Don't see how we can say Didi is better offensively.. He's had like 19 major league at bats.

Also, there's a "big picture" element here. In reality, barring injury, the odds that the backup MI is not going to make a difference in the playoffs is tiny.
    Part of the Reds building strategy is to try to convince veterans like Ludwick and Madson to come to the team (last offseason). If the Reds start doing cheesy stuff like leaving Valdez off the playoff roster in favor of a kid that didn't exactly tear it up in AAA.. that's a credibility hit when trying to attract FAs and tell them that there's opportunity in Cincy.

In reality, I don't think anyone wants to see either Gregorous or Valdez at the plate with the game on the line.. unless Valdez is up there to make a bunt.
    Very good post. For the same reason, I'm not sure Hoover is a lock to make the roster. Reds have Leake, Arredondo, Simon, and Ondrusek to consider.

If Hoover makes the team, two of those pitchers get left off after being Reds all (or in Logan's case most) of the season. Reds might not want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

What message does it send to the Reds' young players that they can't crack the roster because the Reds would rather keep a terrible player like Wilson Valdez instead of them?

I think we can safely say Gregorius is a better hitter and fielder than Wilson Valdez. The Reds have plenty of players that are better hitters than Wilson Valdez. Most players throughout the minor leagues are better hitters than Wilson Valdez. He has the worst OPS of any player in the major leagues this year (150+ PA).

It hurts the team's chances of winning the World Series if you don't go with your 25 best players.

I don't think a potential free agent is going to avoid Cincy because the major leagues' worst player didn't make the playoff roster. It is a credibility hit to have a guy like Valdez on your playoff roster. Valdez will make the post-season roster despite proving he doesn't deserve it. It sends the message that your skill and performance don't matter.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    What message does it send to the Reds' young players that they can't crack the roster because the Reds would rather keep a terrible player like Wilson Valdez instead of them?

I think we can safely say Gregorius is a better hitter and fielder than Wilson Valdez.
    He may be, but I don't think that's an absolute certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He may be, but I don't think that's an absolute certainty.
    I would rather go with the guy who might not be terrible instead of the guy we already know is terrible.

Once a guy has proven to be really, really bad like Valdez you don't ask a good prospect to prove he is better. Chances are very good that Gregorius is better than Wilson Valdez. He is certainly not worse.

Whether Valdez is the worst player in the majors or almost the worst player in the majors is beside the point really. Either way you don't want him on the post-season roster.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 09-21-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I would rather go with the guy who might not be terrible instead of the guy we already know is terrible.

Once a guy has proven to be really, really bad like Valdez you don't ask a good prospect to prove he is better. Chances are very good that Gregorius is better than Wilson Valdez. He is certainly not worse.

Whether Valdez is the worst player in the majors or almost the worst player in the majors is beside the point really. Either way you don't want him on the post-season roster.
    Reds team has won 91 games with some marginal players on the roster.

I don't think the Reds will start picking and choosing among September callups to re-make the roster for the post season. A guy like Valdez (or Gregorius) wouldn't play much in the post-season anyway.

It's not Walt's style or Dusty's style to start introducing new rookies at this point. They value experience and continuity. Valdez has been with the team all season.

I don't even think Gregorius will make the club out of spring training next year. I think the Reds view him as still developing at AAA at this point and in need of regular at bats.

I can see Navarro making the post-season as a veteran catcher, and maybe Hoover as a bat misser who was sent down in a roster crunch. Those are the late season additions I can see making the post-season. Not Didi this year IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.

The discussion about Gregorious making the roster over Valdez is just not realistic. If that was even on the radar, Valdez would not have been getting the bulk of starts when Cozart was out. In fact, I'm not sure Gregorious isn't Juan Castro part II. I'm sure not entertaining putting a guy like that on a playoff roster because he got a few hits in September semi-MLB games. I doubt if it even hits the discussion table for Reds decision makers.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds team has won 91 games with some marginal players on the roster.

I don't think the Reds will start picking and choosing among September callups to re-make the roster for the post season. A guy like Valdez (or Gregorius) wouldn't play much in the post-season anyway.

It's not Walt's style or Dusty's style to start introducing new rookies at this point. They value experience and continuity. Valdez has been with the team all season.

I don't even think Gregorius will make the club out of spring training next year. I think the Reds view him as still developing at AAA at this point and in need of regular at bats.

I can see Navarro making the post-season as a veteran catcher, and maybe Hoover as a bat misser who was sent down in a roster crunch. Those are the late season additions I can see making the post-season. Not Didi this year IMO.
    Well I agree it is obvious that Valdez will make the post-season roster, but that is not what this thread is about. You are supposed to vote for who you think should make the team, not who you think will make the team.

Dusty is not going to pick a raw rookie over a veteran, even if that veteran has proven himself to be totally unreliable like Wilson Valdez. This thread would be awfully boring if we were trying to predict what Dusty is going to do because everyone already knows what Dusty is going to do.

I agree with you again that Gregorius won't make the team for Opening Day next year, nor should he most likely. Hopefully the major leagues' worst player Wilson Valdez won't be there either. Finding an upgrade for Wilson Valdez should prove to be an extremely easy task for Jocketty since it is impossible to find a downgrade for Wilson Valdez.

In my opinion Wilson Valdez should not make the post-season roster. The Reds have several better options in the system. To me the fact that Wilson Valdez has experience and has been with the Reds all season means absolutely nothing. His performance has been atrocious and his teammates, the coaches and the opposing teams all know it. Replacing the worst player with a better option is not exactly remaking the roster. Putting such a proven bad player on the post-season roster is just foolish in my opinion.

Looks like we have a tie..I'll post a runoff poll in a bit...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?