Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should be added to the postseason roster?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jose Arredondo

10 25.64%
  • Tony Cingrani

1 2.56%
  • Mike Leake

11 28.21%
  • Logan Ondrusek

1 2.56%
  • Alfredo Simon

6 15.38%
  • Miguel Cairo

1 2.56%
  • Didi Gregorius

2 5.13%
  • Devon Mesoraco

3 7.69%
  • Wilson Valdez

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone Postseason Roster- Day 3

RedsZone Postseason Roster- Day 3

Dioner made it in. Four spots left:

Pitchers (9): Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Marshall, Hoover, Broxton, LeCure

Catchers (2): Hanigan, Navarro

Infielders (5): Votto, Phillips, Rolen, Cozart, Frazier

Outfielders (5): Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey, Paul
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsZone Postseason Roster- Day 3

Voted Arredondo last time, will do so again. Would have voted Navarro this time.

I have to go with Leake this time. A good guy to have in the bullpen and he is arguably the best pinch hitter left on the list.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I went with Didi. I am voting for who I think should be on the playoff roster rather than who Dusty will be on the playoff roster. Didi has impressed me tremendously with his glove this year and is a major upgrade over Valdez in the defensive department.

Plus, is there any doubt that Didi can surpass Valdez 2012 line of .199/.223/.223? That is horrible.

In Didi's 20 PAs, he has gone .316/.316/.316. These numbers are useless, but I see Didi as an improvement at the plate and in the field over Valdez, so he deserves the playoff spot. Previous playoff bench experience means nothing to me with Valdez.

Arredondo

Stuff is too good, and he can dominate lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Arredondo

Stuff is too good, and he can dominate lefties.
    That's was my reasoning for voting for him also.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I voted for Leake. You can't pass up the versatility that he brings to the ball club in pitching, hitting, and base running.

Valdez.. you need a backup middle infielder just like a backup Catcher

I can see the arguement for Didi.. but I am going to have to side with Dusty's way of thinking.. you don't boot off Valdez for some rookie that has just played a few games in Sept. Valdez is obviously not a superstar, but he's contributed to the team this year. His short stint in CF was a lifesaver. I think he should be rewarded. It's not as if Didi is exactly a clear offensive upgrade anyhow.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I voted for Arredondo. He and Valdez will be on the roster. I don't think you can cut out Jose just because his second half hasn't been so great, he's going to make the team. He's been a solid part of the ballclub.

P.S. - JJ Hoover is not a lock. If he has control problems again, being a rookie, I'd think he'd be in jeopardy. Of course. he'd make the RedsZone team, he fits the profile of a beloved player around here.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-21-2012 at 09:58 AM.

You can make a strong case that Wilson Valdez has been the worst player in the major leagues this season. He has the lowest OPS of any player with 150+ plate appearances in baseball. Miguel Cairo is 3rd worst. I wouldn't rely on those guys in the postseason for even the most minor roles. Even the rawest, freshest, youngest rookies like Gregorius and HRod are big upgrades over those two sub-replacement veterans.

Not Ondrusek!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    You can make a strong case that Wilson Valdez has been the worst player in the major leagues this season. He has the lowest OPS of any player with 150+ plate appearances in baseball. Miguel Cairo is 3rd worst. I wouldn't rely on those guys in the postseason for even the most minor roles. Even the rawest, freshest, youngest rookies like Gregorius and HRod are big upgrades over those two sub-replacement veterans.
    Plus for roughly half the season Valdez also had the worst hair cut and facial hair in the league as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Completely agree. Just because Valdez has been part of a great team this year does not mean that he has done anything to contribute to it. Now, I don't know about how much Valdez has contributed to the lockerroom or any of the stuff that is behind close doors, but there is absolutely no reason that Wilson Valdez should be on the playoff roster over Didi Gregorious for his batting or defensive abilities. Didi has him beat in both places.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Completely agree. Just because Valdez has been part of a great team this year does not mean that he has done anything to contribute to it. Now, I don't know about how much Valdez has contributed to the lockerroom or any of the stuff that is behind close doors, but there is absolutely no reason that Wilson Valdez should be on the playoff roster over Didi Gregorious for his batting or defensive abilities. Didi has him beat in both places.
    And it only took Didi roughly 3 weeks to beat Valdez's performance for the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    And it only took Didi roughly 3 weeks to beat Valdez's performance for the entire season.
    But we all now Valdez will make the roster for his "intangibles" over Didi and his really strong glove.

For the record, if Cozart is healthy, this argument doesn't really even matter. Hopefully neither player sees the field as Cozart has a strong glove and doesn't need a defensive replacement and neither hits better than Cozart. I just am trying to rebut the argument that we need a backup middle infielder, so I voted for Valdez. If I was to select a 25 man Reds' playoff roster, Didi would be on it and Valdez (and Cairo for that matter) would not.

Turn Off Ads?