Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will have the better career?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mesoraco

49 72.06%
  • Grandal

19 27.94%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who will have the better career -- Mesoraco or Grandal?

Who will have the better career -- Mesoraco or Grandal?

I know, it's early, but they're both essentially rookies, both born in 1988. Grandal went to Miami, Mesoraco signed out of high school. The Reds obviously bet on Mesoraco, but he has struggled in the bigs so far (albeit it is a small sample size).

If you're a betting person, who would you bet on?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will have the better career -- Mesoraco or Grandal?

Gotta go with the brass here and say Mes.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco. He is a catcher, without a doubt. Has more power.

Could go either way, but I would say Mes. I believe I have seen where Grandal doesn't project long term at C. If that is wrong correct me.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Could go either way, but I would say Mes. I believe I have seen where Grandal doesn't project long term at C. If that is wrong correct me.
    There is a chance, but it isn't a sure thing either.

Not voting, I have no idea.

Mes has a good arm, I like that, even if so far he's allowed his share of steals. He caught many losses early, that has turned around.

Mes also is a patient hitter. One of the few Reds righty hitters who doesn't lunge after bad pitches. Has power.

My own view is that Mes probably could have used another year at AAA, but I like what I see so far.

I think both will have nice careers. I like how Mes is concentrating on his D and the pitchers right now which is what he should be doing. I feel that his bat will come around but it will probably be next year before we see him to start to rake. I also agree that a full year in AAA this year is probably what Mes needed. I look for 2013 to be a big year for him.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Mes.. without a doubt, there are thoughts he could be a future #4 middle of the order guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Mes.. without a doubt, there are thoughts he could be a future #4 middle of the order guy.
    Would be fantastic to have a 3-4-5 for years to come of Votto-Mesoraco-Bruce.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'm gonna have to go with Grandal. At least offensively. I think this guy is going to be a star.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I voted Mes, but was very ambivalent. I really don't see what others do in Mesoraco's defense. It seems like he's constantly dropping pitches, isn't very still and just generally isn't a reliable target.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I voted Grandal, but with the caveat that his better career won't be as a catcher. I see him as a very solid slugging third baseman.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The question still has no answer. After both their MLB debuts Grandal and Mez are not what they appear to be this early on. I've always felt Grandal had a better pedigree and higher floor than Mez, but we'll see how things play out. Mez just doesn't barrel the ball often enough right now and part of that is the PT he's getting. Who knows, this 40/60 split may last until next year as well...until when in 2014 26 year old Mez hits 45 bombs and wins an MVP...hell yeah!

No clue. But Mes needs to play more.

I won't even try to guess which one will have the better career. As others have said:

1. Mes needs more playing time NOW. I do not buy the argument that "He needs to earn more at bats." If he played 4 out of 5 games, his bat would secure him into the 4 hole f the batting order.

2. Grandal may be moved to another position. I felt that would have happened had he remained in the Reds' organization. He could have developed into a 3B or a LF.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?