Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Alternative/modern country music?

Re: Alternative/modern country music?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    He is one of many- you just have to find them.
    Er, no. It's dead, as is widely known. Now country is soft rock from Yanks and Australians.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You do know that music is available from places other than the radio, I hope?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

919191 (05-04-2013),Revering4Blue (05-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    Er, no. It's dead, as is widely known. Now country is soft rock from Yanks and Australians.
    You have to start by turning the radio off. It's out there. What you listen to HWIII will ell you what it is.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I haven't seen "Great American Taxi" mentioned in this thread yet and feel like they should be. Definitely Americana, Folky, Country, feel. One of my favs and something to check out I think.
    GAT is great. Sometimes they back up Todd Snider. I hope to catch one of those shows.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Country is mostly dead - it died in the late 90's. But there's one guy who didn't sell out.
    III is what made me have a little faith in the genre still. Love him, seen him live many times. Great performer.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Shooter Jennings Ya Know Waylons boy Although lately he seems to more about dissing John mayer which is not necessarily a bad thing

Shaver is still out there. Jerry Jeff Walker even performs some still.
    -Todd Snider

10. Likes:

TSJ55 (05-12-2013)

You have to start by turning the radio off. It's out there. What you listen to HWIII will ell you what it is.
    Never turned it on. It's dead, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    You do know that music is available from places other than the radio, I hope?
    I play six different instruments, work at two different music shops. You're not about to tell me anything about music that I already don't know. The genre is dead, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    III is what made me have a little faith in the genre still. Love him, seen him live many times. Great performer.
    Pretty much, but still a dead genre.

Just because there's a small handful of singers/musicians that haven't sold out, doesn't mean it's alive and well. Actual Country music makes up less than 1% of all "Country" music. And that equates to a dead genre. There's still Skiffle bands out there, and yet Skiffle is a dead genre - same thing with Country. If 99% of Metal wasn't Metal, then that would be dead. If 99% of Jazz didn't sound like Jazz, then that would be dead. Well, 99% of Country isn't even Country, therefore it's dead. Really, the only genre similar to Country that isn't dead, is Bluegrass.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.

You're right about one thing--nobody's going to tell you anything you don't already know.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

919191 (05-12-2013),Revering4Blue (05-12-2013),TSJ55 (05-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    You're right about one thing--nobody's going to tell you anything you don't already know.
    You certainly can't, obviously. Country is dead, unfortunately. Hooray for the 1%.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    I play six different instruments, work at two different music shops. You're not about to tell me anything about music that I already don't know. The genre is dead, sorry.
    LOL!

I don't care how many instruments you play or music shops you work at, I know more about music than you do, and you are clearly very ignorant about the subject.

Shaver is still out there. Jerry Jeff Walker even performs some still.
    Shave is awesome as is T. Snider.

Vince Herman did some friends of mine a solid and GAT playd a show in Paducah, KY. I've been a Leftover Salmon fan for a long time so it was cool to see Vince in such a small place and my friends sitting in.

Shameless plug for the buddies bands: http://nathanblakelynn.com/ and http://bawninthemash.com/
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    LOL!

I don't care how many instruments you play or music shops you work at, I know more about music than you do, and you are clearly very ignorant about the subject.
    You've mistaken me for someone who cares what you think. Country is dead, get over it. I know more about music than you ever will. Sorry to hear you're so ignorant on the subject.

If you can't be polite, please utilize the ignore function.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

You certainly can't, obviously. Country is dead, unfortunately. Hooray for the 1%.
    Meh. I disagree. Country music has just evolved.

I hate old country music, except for a few classics.

Pop radio has turned into rap, hip hop, studio-produced garbage/dance music that can barely be reproduced live.

Modern Country is akin to the pop music you used to hear back in the 70's, minus the disco stuff. The Eagles would be listed as Modern Country if all their hits were coming out today. Also, Southern Rock falls into the Modern Country genre too. Lynyrd Skynyrd would play on Country Music channels today........in fact members of the group had a few country hits out a few years ago. Artists like Jewel and Sheryl Crow have said in interviews that their stuff is really country. Sheryl has a song in the top 40 country right now. The twangy stuff is becoming less and less. Artists like Jason Aldean and occasionally Toby Keith and others, get that southern rock stuff going.

I'm in the minority, but because I hate the direction that pop music took with all the hip hop, rap, and studio-produced dance music.........I kind of like hearing a pop song where the lyrics actually make sense - but now it's on country music stations.

And I appreciate artists like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley who can play the snot out of their guitars. And I enjoy watching an awards show where the artists can perform their songs live and actually sound like the recording, unlike modern pop music.

I do like Mumford & Sons and other alternative. They're not folksy, but they are alternative - Muse - like them a lot.

I'm pretty flexible. It it's a good song, I don't care what the genre is.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?