Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative/modern country music?

Re: Alternative/modern country music?

Big thumbs up to the Avett Brothers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

edit nm

Golden smog

Robert Earl Keen has a great song, "The Road Goes On and On," where he rips into Toby Keith for stealing the melody from his classic "The Road Goes on Forever." Here's an article about it, along with videos:

http://www.tmdailypost.com/article/e...n-v-toby-keith
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Not sure if it counts as country, but most likely Americana, Megafaun. They're awesome (and so is their name).

I would never classify any of these as straight country, but I'm guessing they veer close enough to the genre to appeal to you. I like a lot of music that kind of careens near folk but isn't too soupy.

William Elliott Whitmore (I've been trying to see this guy live for years and FINALLY did a couple of weeks ago. If you ever have the chance to do so, GO.)
    The Milk Carton Kids
    The Felice Brothers
    The Bowerbirds
    (The) Brendan Hines
    The Cave Singers
    Mountain Firework company
    Langhorne Slim
    Frankie Miller
    The Three Crows
    Southern Culture on the Skids
    The Harlan Twins

I'll go through my itunes and see if I can find more!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    William Elliott Whitmore (I've been trying to see this guy live for years and FINALLY did a couple of weeks ago. If you ever have the chance to do so, GO.)
    I saw him open for Lucero in Cincy last Spring and almost posted 'Hell or High Water' in this thread. His stories behind each song are fantastic and he is so humble it is refreshing...

Band of Horses and Avett Bros are great, both have new albums in the last couple weeks that I enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Was out in Steamboat skiing during a Texas Music Festival which is pretty much what this topic is about.

Turnpike Troubadours has a pretty good sound.
    Jack Ingram sounded very good live, more country country on his albums.

Texas "outlaw" country is really a genre all on its own, more country than alternative country and less musically layered than bands like Avettes and Mumford

More Waylon than anything else but still tasty in its own way, guys like Keene and Robison carrying the torch for guys like Jimmy Dale Gilmore and Townes

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Texas "outlaw" country is really a genre all on its own, more country than alternative country and less musically layered than bands like Avettes and Mumford

More Waylon than anything else but still tasty in its own way, guys like Keene and Robison carrying the torch for guys like Jimmy Dale Gilmore and Townes
    It wasn't necessarily a Texas "outlaw" country. It wasn't really even country with the exception of a little twang involved. Some guys were country, some were more rock, and a lot were hard to explain. Nevertheless nothing beats a day on the slopes followed by a few beers listening to live music.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Band of Horses and Avett Bros are great, both have new albums in the last couple weeks that I enjoy.
    I like Band of Horses too, and Mumford & Sons also have their new album out.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It wasn't necessarily a Texas "outlaw" country. It wasn't really even country with the exception of a little twang involved. Some guys were country, some were more rock, and a lot were hard to explain. Nevertheless nothing beats a day on the slopes followed by a few beers listening to live music.
    Keene, Ingram and the Robison brothers are exactly what you describe, not really country (flavored with country though) they almost tour exclusively in Texas and are to colleges (and frat boys) there the equal to jam bands throughout the nation in their popularity.

They aren't classic Willie no, but they are as you say fun and don't suck.

Am I the only person who hates the Avett Brothers? I just have never been able to get into them. Saw them pretty early on, summer 2008, at a beer hall in Troy, NY, and thought, well, these guys are going to be playing free shows at drunk college picnics for the rest of their lives. Oops.

On the female side, Joseph, I just remembered Tift Merritt. Beautiful voice -- closer to true old-school country. Shelby Lynne as well, though she's a little poppier, but boy can that girl sing.

I mentioned the Milk Carton Kids, and though I know I've pimped them on this board before, their albums are both downloadable completely free at their website. They're terrific.

edit: this song, it kills me.

The Milk Carton Kids - Girls Gather Round - YouTube
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 09-26-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Am I the only person who hates the Avett Brothers? I just have never been able to get into them. Saw them pretty early on, summer 2008, at a beer hall in Troy, NY, and thought, well, these guys are going to be playing free shows at drunk college picnics for the rest of their lives. Oops.

On the female side, Joseph, I just remembered Tift Merritt. Beautiful voice -- closer to true old-school country. Shelby Lynne as well, though she's a little poppier, but boy can that girl sing.
    I could take or leave Avett Brothers. I like some of their stuff and others find me skipping the song quickly.

Turn Off Ads?