Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Alternative/modern country music?

Re: Alternative/modern country music?

Country music is completely punk-rock. It's the original punk-rock.

Neko Case

FYI Punk is also been called dead, and bossanova and the Spinners at Dead shows... also gone.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    snip
    It's dead and is not coming back. As is obvious by knowing about the genre. ...You just named a bunch of bands from the 70's. Which has nothing to do with the fact that Country is dead and gone - replaced by soft rock (not evolved Country).
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-13-2013 at 12:52 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    It's dead and is not coming back. As is obvious by knowing about the genre. ...You just named a bunch of bands from the 70's. Which has nothing to do with the fact that Country is dead and gone - replaced by soft rock (not evolved Country).
    That's nice.

I disagree.

Country Music has simply evolved.

All music evolves.

That's nice.

I disagree.

Country Music has simply evolved.

All music evolves.
    Nope, it's not an opinion either. Too bad you obviously know nothing about music. Country is dead, as is widely known by musicians. Your "argument" revolved around two rock bands from the 70s.

I actually agree with Vottomatic and WoY here- the scene has changed, similarly to how rock and roll has changed since its inception to its current form. What do the Beatles and Nickelback have in common again?

Country being dead would probably come as news to Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift (kind of), Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Darius Rucker (who actually has a version of Dylan/Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel" at #16 and climbing on the Billboard hot 100), and other artists who perform as country artists.

Sure, they aren't Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks. But who cares?

Billboard thinks Country is enough of a genre to still maintain a chart on it, whereas previously popular genres (and niche genres) like blues, soul, classical, disco, and heavy metal don't get mentioned.

I'd say it isn't dead at all, but rather changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

8. Likes:

Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I actually agree with Vottomatic and WoY here- the scene has changed, similarly to how rock and roll has changed since its inception to its current form. What do the Beatles and Nickelback have in common again?

Country being dead would probably come as news to Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift (kind of), Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Darius Rucker (who actually has a version of Dylan/Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel" at #16 and climbing on the Billboard hot 100), and other artists who perform as country artists.

Billboard thinks Country is enough of a genre to still maintain a chart on it, whereas previously popular genres (and niche genres) like blues, soul, classical, disco, and heavy metal don't get mentioned.

Yep. "Changing", also known as "Evolving".
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact that Country's dead. LOL at newbs that don't know this. Nothing evolved or changed. One decade we had Country, now we have nothing like Country. Major and Minor Pentatonics gone, shuffles and picking gone. Country is dead. Only people new to music and life don't know this. Soft rock=/=Country.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Nope, it's not an opinion either. Too bad you obviously know nothing about music. Country is dead, as is widely known by musicians. Your "argument" revolved around two rock bands from the 70s.
    Facts?

Check out this link: http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...by-genre-2010/

Music album sales in the United States in 2012, by genre* (in millions)

Rock 102.50
    Alternative 52.20
    R&B 49.7
    Country 44.60
    Metal 31.9
    Rap 24.20
    Christian/Gospel 22.90
    Soundtrack 12.30

====================================

The genre of Country Music is dead, eh?

Country's dead. LOL at newbs that don't know this. Nothing evolved or changed. One decade we had Country, now we have nothing like Country. Major and Minor Pentatonics, gone, shuffles and picking, gone. Country is dead. Only people new to music and life don;t know this.
    John Mayer lives on G5 and C+9 and Em7 and Amaj7 and weird substituted barre chords all over the place.

Nickelback lives on power chords.

The Beatles lived on open chords.

Are those three bands/artists all considered to be rock bands/artists or not?

Aside: Pentatonic progressions aren't really major or minor because the scale is shifted into a non-western way. 5 notes and no half steps anywhere makes it basically impossible to construct a pentatonic major or minor scale. It goes against the definition of the mode. Maybe you mean some sort of modal progression?

Shuffles and picking still exist in popular country artists like Taylor Swift and Darius Rucker and John Michael Montgomery, as well as in recently popular groups like Garth Brooks, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (kind of), and Old Crow Medicine Show.

Just because "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" or whatever other popular country genre song you have heard on the radio recently doesn't contain it, doesn't mean that it's gone forever.
    Long live punishment

Facts?

Check out this link: http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...by-genre-2010/

Music album sales in the United States in 2012, by genre* (in millions)

Rock 102.50
    Alternative 52.20
    R&B 49.7
    Country 44.60
    Metal 31.9
    Rap 24.20
    Christian/Gospel 22.90
    Soundtrack 12.30

====================================

The genre of Country Music is dead, eh?
    Yep, dead and gone. What they play now days is not Country.

John Mayer lives on G5 and C+9 and Em7 and Amaj7 and weird substituted barre chords all over the place.

Nickelback lives on power chords.

The Beatles lived on open chords.

Are those three bands/artists all considered to be rock bands/artists or not?

Aside: Pentatonic progressions aren't really major or minor because the scale is shifted into a non-western way. 5 notes and no half steps anywhere makes it basically impossible to construct a pentatonic major or minor scale. It goes against the definition of the mode. Maybe you mean some sort of modal progression?

Shuffles and picking still exist in popular country artists like Taylor Swift and Darius Rucker and John Michael Montgomery, as well as in recently popular groups like Garth Brooks, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (kind of), and Old Crow Medicine Show.

Just because "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" or whatever other popular country genre song you have heard on the radio recently doesn't contain it, doesn't mean that it's gone forever.
    Pentatonic have both major and minor scales. Guess you don't know anything about music theory. Country is dead, get over it.

Ignored for not knowing anything about music.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Plus Plus, can you please ban this guy? This is about transparent as trolling gets.

16. Likes:

919191 (05-13-2013),Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

Pentatonic have both major and minor scales. Guess you don't know anything about music theory. Country is dead, get over it.

Some information for people on the forum who care about music theory:

A pentatonic scale is a scale that contains 5 notes. The most common way to get a feeling of how this sounds is to go to any piano or keyboard and play the five black keys, starting on any one you want, in a row. You may "feel" that the scale *should* start one one of these (usually F#), but all of the notes are within the scale and the construct of it makes it so that every note in the scale is playable without it sounding "wonky" or out of tune. Some people will claim that there are major and minor forms of the same scale, but the scale remains the same in both of them- no notes are changed.

The standard scale that is used in western music, C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C, is an octatonic scale, or one containing 8 notes. This one, because of the increase in notes and the way that it is utilized, can sound major as played, or can sound minor by starting on A and playing through the same scale (for added fun, add G#). There will be notes that sound in tune or out of tune in this scale because of the spacing between the notes. Because of how "western" this scale can sound, it generally isn't used in modern popular music.

Generally, rock music uses a modified blues scale, which has 6 notes: C, Eb, Gb, G, A, Bb, C. This scale lends itself to being improvised in because of the large spacings between the notes along with the half-steps and the fact that it follows the 12-bar chord progression standard in blues rather than forming chords such as those heard in "western" or classical music.

Obviously this is a very basic explanation, but I just want to make sure everyone understands, because there is some obvious confusion.

Anyway, ignore this post if you aren't interested.
    Long live punishment

18. Likes:

Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

I have my own Ensoniq keyboard, and have composed many songs including the words.

I wrote my wedding song and me and my wife at the time went into a studio and recorded it with my instrumentals in the background. My ensoniq allows me to play various instruments and layer them together as needed.

My then wife, now ex-wife, has sung the National Anthem for the Cincinnati Reds no less than 7 times. She also sings locally at the largest Catholic Church in the Cincinnati area, on staff.

Does any of this make me an expert? I don't care.

But I have enough music experience to state my opinion on it.

I enjoy his comments because I keep picturing Chris Sabo typing them haha...

21. Likes:

Joseph (05-13-2013),Wonderful Monds (05-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?