Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alternative/modern country music?

Well you can both just shut your mustache.....sorry that was uncalled for I've seen The Lorax wayyyy too many times in the last two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alternative/modern country music?

Love the Avert Brothers. I came in late of them---only first heard them when they did Austin City Limits (the same way I found Amos Lee) but have made up for lost time. They make complicated songs sound deceptively simple, and I can identify with their lyrics.

"Kick Drum Heart" is my ringtone.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Love the Avert Brothers. I came in late of them---only first heard them when they did Austin City Limits (the same way I found Amos Lee) but have made up for lost time. They make complicated songs sound deceptively simple, and I can identify with their lyrics.

"Kick Drum Heart" is my ringtone.
    My Cousin is the Executive Producer of ACL

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I get a lot of new music from the show.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I second all the Band of Horses post. Now is a great time to be introduced to them because their album just came out! I suggest heading over to their website and taking a listen to their awesome live videos. Listen!!

Wow. That is crazy. Another poster on this very board told me the same thing. You guys should do a genealogy search and see if you're related.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Am I the only person who hates the Avett Brothers? I just have never been able to get into them. Saw them pretty early on, summer 2008, at a beer hall in Troy, NY, and thought, well, these guys are going to be playing free shows at drunk college picnics for the rest of their lives. Oops.
    Yep... I'd say they are one of the best bands, lyrically, that you can find right now.w They're live shows do get a bit energetic/rowdy. If that's not your cup of tea, you should go through their discography, particularly their "Gleam" EPs.

Just because someone mentioned Jim Croce earlier, I felt this cover was appropriate.

Seth Avett (with Bob Crawford) Sing, Operator, By JIm Croce - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow. That is crazy. Another poster on this very board told me the same thing. You guys should do a genealogy search and see if you're related.

You mean Pedro?

Yeah, we're related.

Quote Originally Posted by jtindal View Post
    I second all the Band of Horses post. Now is a great time to be introduced to them because their album just came out! I suggest heading over to their website and taking a listen to their awesome live videos. Listen!!
    I like BoH, they are not in any form alt country, country or traditional at least IMO

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    Yep... I'd say they are one of the best bands, lyrically, that you can find right now.w They're live shows do get a bit energetic/rowdy. If that's not your cup of tea, you should go through their discography, particularly their "Gleam" EPs.[/url]
    I've listened to a lot of their stuff -- I just can't get into it. It wasn't the atmosphere of them live; I had a good time at the show. I just don't think they're very original and I'm not crazy about the vocal style. To each his own.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

You mean Pedro?

Yeah, we're related.
    Yeah, I know. An attempt at being funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah, I know. An attempt at being funny.
    I'm laughing now.. at myself

The Avett Brothers crowd gets pretty rowdy, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Avett Brothers crowd gets pretty rowdy, eh?
    My only experience with the Avett Brothers was listening to some of a show I downloaded thru Dime. All I really heard was the band screaming. I only listened to parts of it and gave up. Maybe it was a down night for them. Might give them another try.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Get these albums

Drag the River - Closed
    Old 97’s - Too Far To Care
    Lucero - Tennessee
    Two Cow Garage - Please Turn the Gas Back On

Any Drag The River album is good. The first three are probably the best, with Closed being most people's favorite and their third full length "It's Crazy" being a close second...but I think Hobos Demos is a better introduction to the band, and my personal favorite. They are hands down my favorite band and are also awesome guys. The first few Liverpool albums are must haves also. The first two or three Two Cow albums are also great, but they really walk the line between country and rock, and get more rock and roll as the keep releasing albums.

Other guys to check out

Austin Lucas
    Tim Barry
    John Moreland

Turn Off Ads?