Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 120

Thread: Alternative/modern country music?

  1. #91
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,288

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Country music is completely punk-rock. It's the original punk-rock.

    Neko Case

    FYI Punk is also been called dead, and bossanova and the Spinners at Dead shows... also gone.

  2. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (05-13-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #92
    Member SaboMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    snip
    It's dead and is not coming back. As is obvious by knowing about the genre. ...You just named a bunch of bands from the 70's. Which has nothing to do with the fact that Country is dead and gone - replaced by soft rock (not evolved Country).
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-13-2013 at 12:52 PM.

  5. #93
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    It's dead and is not coming back. As is obvious by knowing about the genre. ...You just named a bunch of bands from the 70's. Which has nothing to do with the fact that Country is dead and gone - replaced by soft rock (not evolved Country).
    That's nice.

    I disagree.

    Country Music has simply evolved.

    All music evolves.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  6. #94
    Member SaboMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    That's nice.

    I disagree.

    Country Music has simply evolved.

    All music evolves.
    Nope, it's not an opinion either. Too bad you obviously know nothing about music. Country is dead, as is widely known by musicians. Your "argument" revolved around two rock bands from the 70s.

  7. #95
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    I actually agree with Vottomatic and WoY here- the scene has changed, similarly to how rock and roll has changed since its inception to its current form. What do the Beatles and Nickelback have in common again?

    Country being dead would probably come as news to Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift (kind of), Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Darius Rucker (who actually has a version of Dylan/Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel" at #16 and climbing on the Billboard hot 100), and other artists who perform as country artists.

    Sure, they aren't Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks. But who cares?

    Billboard thinks Country is enough of a genre to still maintain a chart on it, whereas previously popular genres (and niche genres) like blues, soul, classical, disco, and heavy metal don't get mentioned.

    I'd say it isn't dead at all, but rather changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  8. Likes:

    Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

  9. #96
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I actually agree with Vottomatic and WoY here- the scene has changed, similarly to how rock and roll has changed since its inception to its current form. What do the Beatles and Nickelback have in common again?

    Country being dead would probably come as news to Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift (kind of), Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Darius Rucker (who actually has a version of Dylan/Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel" at #16 and climbing on the Billboard hot 100), and other artists who perform as country artists.

    Sure, they aren't Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks. But who cares?

    Billboard thinks Country is enough of a genre to still maintain a chart on it, whereas previously popular genres (and niche genres) like blues, soul, classical, disco, and heavy metal don't get mentioned.

    I'd say it isn't dead at all, but rather changing.
    Yep. "Changing", also known as "Evolving".
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  10. #97
    Member SaboMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I actually agree with Vottomatic and WoY here- the scene has changed, similarly to how rock and roll has changed since its inception to its current form. What do the Beatles and Nickelback have in common again?

    Country being dead would probably come as news to Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift (kind of), Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Darius Rucker (who actually has a version of Dylan/Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel" at #16 and climbing on the Billboard hot 100), and other artists who perform as country artists.

    Sure, they aren't Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks. But who cares?

    Billboard thinks Country is enough of a genre to still maintain a chart on it, whereas previously popular genres (and niche genres) like blues, soul, classical, disco, and heavy metal don't get mentioned.

    I'd say it isn't dead at all, but rather changing.
    It's not an opinion, it's a fact that Country's dead. LOL at newbs that don't know this. Nothing evolved or changed. One decade we had Country, now we have nothing like Country. Major and Minor Pentatonics gone, shuffles and picking gone. Country is dead. Only people new to music and life don't know this. Soft rock=/=Country.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.

  11. #98
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    Nope, it's not an opinion either. Too bad you obviously know nothing about music. Country is dead, as is widely known by musicians. Your "argument" revolved around two rock bands from the 70s.
    Facts?

    Check out this link: http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...by-genre-2010/

    Music album sales in the United States in 2012, by genre* (in millions)

    Rock 102.50
    Alternative 52.20
    R&B 49.7
    Country 44.60
    Metal 31.9
    Rap 24.20
    Christian/Gospel 22.90
    Soundtrack 12.30

    ====================================

    The genre of Country Music is dead, eh?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  12. #99
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    Country's dead. LOL at newbs that don't know this. Nothing evolved or changed. One decade we had Country, now we have nothing like Country. Major and Minor Pentatonics, gone, shuffles and picking, gone. Country is dead. Only people new to music and life don;t know this.
    John Mayer lives on G5 and C+9 and Em7 and Amaj7 and weird substituted barre chords all over the place.

    Nickelback lives on power chords.

    The Beatles lived on open chords.

    Are those three bands/artists all considered to be rock bands/artists or not?

    Aside: Pentatonic progressions aren't really major or minor because the scale is shifted into a non-western way. 5 notes and no half steps anywhere makes it basically impossible to construct a pentatonic major or minor scale. It goes against the definition of the mode. Maybe you mean some sort of modal progression?

    Shuffles and picking still exist in popular country artists like Taylor Swift and Darius Rucker and John Michael Montgomery, as well as in recently popular groups like Garth Brooks, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (kind of), and Old Crow Medicine Show.

    Just because "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" or whatever other popular country genre song you have heard on the radio recently doesn't contain it, doesn't mean that it's gone forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  13. #100
    Member SaboMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Facts?

    Check out this link: http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...by-genre-2010/

    Music album sales in the United States in 2012, by genre* (in millions)

    Rock 102.50
    Alternative 52.20
    R&B 49.7
    Country 44.60
    Metal 31.9
    Rap 24.20
    Christian/Gospel 22.90
    Soundtrack 12.30

    ====================================

    The genre of Country Music is dead, eh?
    Yep, dead and gone. What they play now days is not Country.

  14. #101
    Member SaboMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    John Mayer lives on G5 and C+9 and Em7 and Amaj7 and weird substituted barre chords all over the place.

    Nickelback lives on power chords.

    The Beatles lived on open chords.

    Are those three bands/artists all considered to be rock bands/artists or not?

    Aside: Pentatonic progressions aren't really major or minor because the scale is shifted into a non-western way. 5 notes and no half steps anywhere makes it basically impossible to construct a pentatonic major or minor scale. It goes against the definition of the mode. Maybe you mean some sort of modal progression?

    Shuffles and picking still exist in popular country artists like Taylor Swift and Darius Rucker and John Michael Montgomery, as well as in recently popular groups like Garth Brooks, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (kind of), and Old Crow Medicine Show.

    Just because "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" or whatever other popular country genre song you have heard on the radio recently doesn't contain it, doesn't mean that it's gone forever.
    Pentatonic have both major and minor scales. Guess you don't know anything about music theory. Country is dead, get over it.

    Ignored for not knowing anything about music.

  15. #102
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Plus Plus, can you please ban this guy? This is about transparent as trolling gets.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  16. Likes:

    919191 (05-13-2013), Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

  17. #103
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    Pentatonic have both major and minor scales. Guess you don't know anything about music theory. Country is dead, get over it.

    Ignored for not knowing anything about music.
    Some information for people on the forum who care about music theory:

    A pentatonic scale is a scale that contains 5 notes. The most common way to get a feeling of how this sounds is to go to any piano or keyboard and play the five black keys, starting on any one you want, in a row. You may "feel" that the scale *should* start one one of these (usually F#), but all of the notes are within the scale and the construct of it makes it so that every note in the scale is playable without it sounding "wonky" or out of tune. Some people will claim that there are major and minor forms of the same scale, but the scale remains the same in both of them- no notes are changed.

    The standard scale that is used in western music, C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C, is an octatonic scale, or one containing 8 notes. This one, because of the increase in notes and the way that it is utilized, can sound major as played, or can sound minor by starting on A and playing through the same scale (for added fun, add G#). There will be notes that sound in tune or out of tune in this scale because of the spacing between the notes. Because of how "western" this scale can sound, it generally isn't used in modern popular music.

    Generally, rock music uses a modified blues scale, which has 6 notes: C, Eb, Gb, G, A, Bb, C. This scale lends itself to being improvised in because of the large spacings between the notes along with the half-steps and the fact that it follows the 12-bar chord progression standard in blues rather than forming chords such as those heard in "western" or classical music.

    Obviously this is a very basic explanation, but I just want to make sure everyone understands, because there is some obvious confusion.

    Anyway, ignore this post if you aren't interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  18. Likes:

    Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

  19. #104
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    Pentatonic have both major and minor scales. Guess you don't know anything about music theory. Country is dead, get over it.

    Ignored for not knowing anything about music.
    I have my own Ensoniq keyboard, and have composed many songs including the words.

    I wrote my wedding song and me and my wife at the time went into a studio and recorded it with my instrumentals in the background. My ensoniq allows me to play various instruments and layer them together as needed.

    My then wife, now ex-wife, has sung the National Anthem for the Cincinnati Reds no less than 7 times. She also sings locally at the largest Catholic Church in the Cincinnati area, on staff.

    Does any of this make me an expert? I don't care.

    But I have enough music experience to state my opinion on it.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  20. #105
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,411

    Re: Alternative/modern country music?

    I enjoy his comments because I keep picturing Chris Sabo typing them haha...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  21. Likes:

    Joseph (05-13-2013), Wonderful Monds (05-13-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25