Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The 2nd Wild Card is Nice......

The 2nd Wild Card is Nice......

but the 1 game sudden death is awful.

The final 30 games are more exciting because more teams are alive and especially in the NL....but I don't like the Braves/Cards playing 1 game to determine which one is better. Too many factors could screw with the outcome...less likely in a 3 game series.

If your team makes the playoffs.....you should get a game at home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 2nd Wild Card is Nice......

I hate the 2nd WC, I would rather it stuck with 4 teams and then punish the WC winner and reward the best record by playing every game in their park.

I dislike the WC winners will potentially have better records than division winners but get punished because they don't play in a terrible division. But despite those good records they could be one and done while a team like the White Sox could get 2 losses and have a shot still to advance.

Its dumb that teams hovering around .500 even have a shot to get in the playoffs on a small hot streak. If this was a standard season the Cardinals would be out baring a historic choke and we would have a better WC race than we do now with the A's and O's fighting it out at a one game difference rather than both having a 2.5 game lead over the Angels who are are better than the 2nd WC leader in the NL and better than whoever will win the AL central.

Its just a money grab for MLB rather than whats best for the game, and its fitting the Cardinals took advantage of the last system to win the WS and now the new rules get them into the playoffs for a shot to do it again, while the Braves will end up getting screwed by both systems.

I like the 2nd Wild Card. Not only does it get more teams in the hunt at the end but it also penalizes the wild card making it more important to win your division. Before teams could coast to that wildcard and not really be much in the whole for not winning their division. Now that 1 game play in forces the wildcards to play all in for that game, most likely using their top 1 or 2 starting pitcher and not being able to use him in game 1 against a division winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    but the 1 game sudden death is awful.

The final 30 games are more exciting because more teams are alive and especially in the NL....but I don't like the Braves/Cards playing 1 game to determine which one is better. Too many factors could screw with the outcome...less likely in a 3 game series.

If your team makes the playoffs.....you should get a game at home.
    Totally disagree. The 1-game playoff hinders the Wild Card teams while giving Division Champs like the Reds! an advantage. There's too much whining about the "one game shouldn't decide it" argument.

Baseball's a sport and if you want to be a champion, then win! It's that simple. I'm tired of this crap argument, baseball is the only sport that deals with this crap. People don't complain about this in NFL when the 14-2 Falcons go one and done in the playoffs while the "hovering over .500" Giants move on in a 1-game playoff......Shut up already.

As Reds fans, why do you care? They aren't going to be in the 1-game WC playoff. Are people still that bitter from '99?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Totally disagree. The 1-game playoff hinders the Wild Card teams while giving Division Champs like the Reds! an advantage. There's too much whining about the "one game shouldn't decide it" argument.

Baseball's a sport and if you want to be a champion, then win! It's that simple. I'm tired of this crap argument, baseball is the only sport that deals with this crap. People don't complain about this in NFL when the 14-2 Falcons go one and done in the playoffs while the "hovering over .500" Giants move on in a 1-game playoff......Shut up already.

As Reds fans, why do you care? They aren't going to be in the 1-game WC playoff. Are people still that bitter from '99?
    The one game playoff game hindering teams is overblown, the only thing it hinders is teams who play in a great Division like the NL East risking them getting beat by a team they are 6 game better than on a possible fluke play or one bad pitch.

The WC starters are looking like they are going to be Kyle Lohse vs Kris Medlen on October 5th. Neither one of those guys were going to be the #1 playoff stater anyway so if they make the Wild Card game start they just have to use them in game 3 rather than game 2 and in Lohse's case that would been the game he would start anyway with Carpenter back or they use Garcia at home due to his splits.

So if those WC teams can split at home they will have a good pitcher starting the first road game, then both teams #4 and then have their #1's coming back for game 5 if needed. When I think of punishment that isn't what I think of.

Comparing baseball's 162 game schedule to the NFL's 16 is silly, its easy to be around .500 over a 16 games but if you do it over 162 then you're just a mediocre team. If Baseball stopped after 16 or even double that at 32 the Reds would been a.500 team but add the next 130 games they are one of games bests.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    The one game playoff game hindering teams is overblown, the only thing it hinders is teams who play in a great Division like the NL East risking them getting beat by a team they are 6 game better than on a possible fluke play or one bad pitch.

The WC starters are looking like they are going to be Kyle Lohse vs Kris Medlen on October 5th. Neither one of those guys were going to be the #1 playoff stater anyway so if they make the Wild Card game start they just have to use them in game 3 rather than game 2 and in Lohse's case that would been the game he would start anyway with Carpenter back or they use Garcia at home due to his splits.
    Huh? Your logic is confusing to me. You state that the Cards and Braves would use their statistically best starting pitcher then in the next sentence state, they aren't their best starting pitcher? Can you clarify that?

The other advantage the Reds have is THEY DON'T HAVE TO PLAY ANOTHER GAME TO ADVANCE!! On Oct. 5th, 4 teams will be playing. 2 will advance to the NLDS and 2 will join the other 20 teams on the couch. There's the advantage of being a division winner.

If a WC team has a better record than division winner, touch $hit. That WC should have won more games and won their division.

Because their overall stats are good doesn't mean they consider them their best big game pitcher. Wainwright/Carpenter and Hudson are those teams go to guys and the ones they want in games 1 and 5. Hell the Cardinals aren't even going to attempt to bring Lohse back next year so they aren't to in love with them.

If we played behind the Nats I bet you wouldn't be so hard on thinking we should have won more games when the leagues best team is in your division while a team like the White Sox win the division 5 games behind the second Wild Card spot. If the season ended today 11 other teams would have better record than the White Sox, if any of the those 6 Wild Card or non-playoff teams were in their division they would be running away in the race.

Make it a 3 game series.

Season ends on Wednesday.

Game 1 at Atlanta on Thurs
    Game 2 at St Louis on Fri
    Game 3 at Atlanta on Sat

Both franchises that earned a berth get at least 1 home playoff game. 3 straight games with travel....no break after the last regular season game....nice advantage to the division winners.

What's the negative here?

Fans need to stop complaining about one-game series. Hell, let's make them all one-game series. Wild Card, Division, League and Championship. Teams need to suck it up. If it is good enough for the NFL (far and away the most popular sports league) then it should be good enough for MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Fans need to stop complaining about one-game series. Hell, let's make them all one-game series. Wild Card, Division, League and Championship. Teams need to suck it up. If it is good enough for the NFL (far and away the most popular sports league) then it should be good enough for MLB.
    Boo you!

Let all 30 teams in. Think how much fan interest that will draw. Team with the best record in each league gets a bye. Who cares about the integrity of the game? Who cares about seven-game series being a truer test? Let's make us some $$$$$. Everyone needs to stop whining about one-game series. We are printing money here.

First off, congrats for winning the div.....Im conflicted by the 2nd WC....I dont like it, but w/o it the Cards would not see the playoffs this year.

Reds, Nats Giants and Atlanta are better teams...but there is a good chance that if the cards beat Atlanta in the rediculas 1 game round they will go all the way again......

BTW,Freese got hurt tonite before the game started, rolled an ankle....Yadi missed 2 games with back spasms but came back tonite with a homer...the kid, Kosmos blasted a LONG HR for the 2nd night, (replacing the worthless Furcal) and Lance Lyne went 7 strong for the win...of course, it was just the Astros

I have a feeling that the Cards and Reds will meet in this post season if the Cards can hold off the Brews....it will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Let all 30 teams in. Think how much fan interest that will draw. Team with the best record in each league gets a bye. Who cares about the integrity of the game? Who cares about seven-game series being a truer test? Let's make us some $$$$$. Everyone needs to stop whining about one-game series. We are printing money here.
    And use replacement refs

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    First off, congrats for winning the div.....Im conflicted by the 2nd WC....I dont like it, but w/o it the Cards would not see the playoffs this year.

Reds, Nats Giants and Atlanta are better teams...but there is a good chance that if the cards beat Atlanta in the rediculas 1 game round they will go all the way again......

I have a feeling that the Cards and Reds will meet in this post season if the Cards can hold off the Brews....it will be fun.
    What the problem here? Once in the playoffs, regular season record doesn't mean anything. If the Cards beat the Braves, then beats the Nats. There's no problem there. The Cards would have won and deserve to move on. I don't understand why people view it as "undeserving" or "lesser team winning".

Just win the playoff games!!!

Turn Off Ads?