Phipps Cf
    Gregorious Ss
    Paul Rf
    Heisey Lf
    Rodriguez 3b
    Cairo 1b
    Navaro C
    Valdez 2b
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your Sunday Night post clinch lineup

I can live with that. We are very much still in the running for the number 1 spot though. Not sure how much effort we concentrate on that though.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Because we are playing the Dodgers who are still in the running, expect a lineup similar to the last two nights.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

They better not throw that lineup out there for a national TV broadcast game that's happening nearly 24 hours after the guys clinched the NL Central title. Maybe it's just me but that seems like more than enough time to come back down from the high and have at least a few of the regular starters in the game.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Frazier LF
    Bruce RF
    Heisey CF
    Rolen 3B
    Hanigan C
    Bailey P

Keep the foot on the gas. Get Rolen his rest and Frazier his PAs over the next 2 weeks. Get Ludwick healthy and Votto, Cozart and Chapman back to mid-season form.

I might rest the pitchers by taking them out a little sooner and getting some of the lesser used guys some work in the middle innings and might give guys like Phillips and Bruce a day off against the Pirates (likely out of it by the time the Reds play them), but the Giants are looking strong and it would be much better for the Reds to get the top seed and let the Nats and Giants go at it. I think the Reds could beat any team, but I'd least like to face the Giants of any team in the NL play-offs right now. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Worth The Wait

I think it is OK to punt the Sunday Night game... Sort of the reward for clinching so early. I always want whoever plays to put forth max effort, but I'd be OK with a AAA lineup out there tonight. I'm sure it was a long night for most of the guys and giving them extra rest is fine with me.

And while the "integrity" of the race is important, we should do what's best for us first and worry about all that other stuff after.

I am 50/50 on whether I want to be the 1 or 2 seed so I don't really care there. I see pluses and minuses to both. The Giants are white hot, but I know we can handle that lineup. If we get the 1 seed, both Atlanta and St Louis make me a bit nervous. I do want to stay ahead if SF in the standings, but we essentially have a four game lead on them.

In all honesty, I will be hoping we lose to the Brewers this week... That is how much I dislike the Cards and how hard I'm rooting against them. I would like nothing more than to see Milwaukee catch them....and yes, given the choice I'd rather face the Brewers in a potential series than the Cards.

Basically, Dusty/Speir should do whatever is best for the Reds... If rest would be beneficial, rest em. If they fear breaking the mojo and just want to keep things as is, that's fine too. But don't get too caught up in the race we aren't involved in... It's our right given our accomplishemt to pick and choose at this point. I'll be chilling these next two weeks not too worried about any of our outcomes.

I'd rest Votto for a while to make sure his knee is okay. Then, with about a week left, I'd start using him again so he can find a rhythm.

(This assumes his knee is still worrisome.)

I'd do the same with Rolen.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Because we are playing the Dodgers who are still in the running, expect a lineup similar to the last two nights.
    The Giants clinched the NL West last night, so the Dodgers can't win their division.

The Braves have all but clinched the 1st wildcard slot. The Cardinals are in front for the second wildcard slot, with the Brewers 2.5 games back, the Dodgers 3 games back, the Phillies 4 games back, and the D-Backs 4.5 games back. Most teams have ten games left.

I think we will play a competitive lineup tonight. The starters have been getting a fair bit of rest already, what with ample days off this month, and games like that last one in Chicago.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I don't think we'll see the Thursday lineup. The Dodgers are still in the WC race. Maybe Rodriguez for Phillips, Cozart needs ABs unless they are still cautious with him, maybe Heisey in RF. But I think they will go with a semi-normal lineup because it is a Sunday night game and there are a lot of regulars who need to play.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Phipps Cf
    Gregorious Ss
    Paul Rf
    Heisey Lf
    Rodriguez 3b
    Cairo 1b
    Navaro C
    Valdez 2b
    Why? Are the Regulars hungover or something?

I think they have to consider this is a nationally televised game and put their best players out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

I think they have to consider this is a nationally televised game and put their best players out there.
    This... plus I'm going to be there and took a vacation day tomorrow!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I'd guess

Phillips---------- it's national and primetime baby!
    Stubbs---------- Let's get him going
    Frazier---------- Just a rookie
    Bruce----------- Keep a big bat in there
    Rolen----------- It's a night game
    Phipps/ Heisey--- Ludwig can get the rest
    Paul ----------- Get him more AB
    Navarro --------- Maybe Mez but he is still getting to know guys
    Bailey --------- Cuz its his turn
    Last edited by klw; 09-23-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I'd guess

Phillips---------- it's national and primetime baby!
    Stubbs---------- Let's get him going
    Frazier---------- Just a rookie
    Bruce----------- Keep a big bat in there
    Rolen----------- It's a night game
    Phipps/ Heisey--- Ludwig can get the rest
    Paul ----------- Get him more AB
    Navarro --------- Maybe Mez but he is still getting to know guys
    Bailey --------- Cuz its his turn
    IMHO Mez' boat has sailed for this year - he'll be in the running next year for sure.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I think ESPN would not be very happy with the Reds if they put out a Sunday Special lineup on a prime time game. If it were a regular afternoon game, I could see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

I assumed it was traditional and accepted practice to rest all starters the day after a clincher. Pretty sure most teams do it historically but I am not about to go research it.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?