Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How Biased Is Your Announcer?

Re: How Biased Is Your Announcer?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight.
    For a long time, I've been looking for a really great/funny post by someone to be my signature. Congratulations.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm a huge fan of the Kelch/Welsh duo... I think they do a great job. I still think no one calls a game like Marty... He's the best at the big play for the home team, IMO. The problem is he spends so much time complaining and being negative that you don't get to hear him at his best much anymore.

I can't stand Mike Shannon. He even calls routine balls and strikes differently depending on weather the Cards are at the plate or in the field. The steeeriiike one is just too much for me.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I agree although I fear Thom is the heir apparent and he's worse than his dad when he's cranky. Jim Kelch would be a welcome lead announcer with Thom going back to just being a national announcer.
    Yea, Thom is bad as well.. Thankfully his other obligations stop him from appearing on the radio very often. At least on the TV, I can turn the sound down when Thom is throwing one of his hissy fits about a missed bunt.. Can't really do that on the radio...

Kelch is pretty good. Welsh is my favorite.. Both of those guys don't let Marty bring them down into negativity either. For example, both Thom and Brantley become lower quality announcers when paired with Marty, as Marty's negativity is contagious.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Kelch/Welsh duo... I think they do a great job. I still think no one calls a game like Marty... He's the best at the big play for the home team, IMO. The problem is he spends so much time complaining and being negative that you don't get to hear him at his best much anymore.
    Marty in his prime in the 80's was probably the best announcer I ever heard.
    It's sad that he's become tired with his job and become the stereotypical worker that doesn't know how good he's got it.. You know.. the guy that's being paid well, but spends his entire lunch hour complaining about how his employer sucks.

I honestly don't know why he didn't retire years ago. It's obvious he doesn't enjoy his job anymore. He could retire and still have the "celebrity" status he enjoys so much. WLW could give him his own talk show, he could still do his annual golf thing, and keep doing commericals..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Marty in his prime in the 80's was probably the best announcer I ever heard.
    It's sad that he's become tired with his job and become the stereotypical worker that doesn't know how good he's got it.. You know.. the guy that's being paid well, but spends his entire lunch hour complaining about how his employer sucks.

I honestly don't know why he didn't retire years ago. It's obvious he doesn't enjoy his job anymore. He could retire and still have the "celebrity" status he enjoys so much. WLW could give him his own talk show, he could still do his annual golf thing, and keep doing commericals..
    I think making the HOF has gone to his head to. No question it is a great honor but it just seems like since he got inducted his ego got pretty big and don't dare question his opinion on anything
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

If Vin Scully was the Reds announcer, I would be able to go to sleep in the middle of games. He is just not my brand, very boring, and boorish flinging out media guide facts about players ad nauseum. He should have retired 20 years ago. His lack of bias is because he barely has a pulse.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Kelch doesn't make as many mistakes now but he is more bland than skim milk and has an annoying voice in my opinion.

Welsh is very underrated. I really like him.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm wondering if they'd done Marty if he'd have had a negative score?
    Given the many permutations of Reds announcer tandems, I suspect they'd be all over the map if each pairing were scored this way.

Marty + Welsh would be the most objective IMO. I'm not sure which tandem would be the least objective, but I suspect Brantley would be half of it.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?