Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

Re: Dusty may have pneumonia

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So you're a great source. How's he done? Has it changed his life at all?
    I'm not a good one to judge since he lives 500 miles away and I only see him about once a year. He's in his early 70s and from what I hear he gets around all right. Every time I talk to him he says he is doing OK. Even when he was in the hospital he said he felt fine except for the fact that he had problems with his speaking coinciding with his thoughts and that was the thing that convinced him to go to the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I think this hurts our postseason chances
    At least your priorities are straight.

Really sorry to hear this. I've met Dusty and he's one of the nicest people I've ever met. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets back in the dugout soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Ha!

Baseball is life.

Until it really goes against it.

FWIW managers have gotten sick and teams have done well without them in the dugout because they essentially are playing the managers game plan.

McGraw had horrendous allergies and missed many a contest for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't read that to mean that our postseason success is a priority but rather that Dusty is valuable and would be missed.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ha!

Baseball is life.

Until it really goes against it.

FWIW managers have gotten sick and teams have done well without them in the dugout because they essentially are playing the managers game plan.

McGraw had horrendous allergies and missed many a contest for weeks on end.
    Hutch, 1964 Reds

Reds played very well under Dick Sisler.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He met with the team today, from what I've heard, but obviously will not manage for now.

It doesn't sound like it was too serious (I'm no expert, obviously lol), so hopefully he will make a full and speedy recovery. I know he wants nothing more than to be in the dugout and lead this team through the postseason. This is his passion.

Get well soon, skipper!
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-26-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Hutch, 1964 Reds

Reds played very well under Dick Sisler.
    Burt Shotton fared well when Leo Durocher was suspended too

If you must have a TIA, the place to do is after being admitted to a hospital. My mother has had a couple TIA's and by the time she was able to call us, get to ER, go through registration and be seen, they said it was too late for the clot busting medicine.

It being a TIA and having received the meds then, he should be in relative good shape in terms of coming back from it. Managing a mlb team though may not be the wisest choice though going forward.

Re: Dusty may have pneumonia

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not a good one to judge since he lives 500 miles away and I only see him about once a year. He's in his early 70s and from what I hear he gets around all right. Every time I talk to him he says he is doing OK. Even when he was in the hospital he said he felt fine except for the fact that he had problems with his speaking coinciding with his thoughts and that was the thing that convinced him to go to the hospital.
    Back in '07, the same time that my dad's health was deteriorating, my mom had to be hospitalized with what turned out to be congestive heart failure (kind of a rough year that was). After a few days of blood thinners, diuretics, etc., she was released.

A day or two later, she had a mild stroke and I was the one who caught it. I called from work to check on her and her speech wasn't making any sense. For example, if you asked her what day it was, she might answer, "Three." I got her to the hospital right away - she was NOT happy to be going back there - and luckily the effects of the stroke were largely reversed. Timing really is the key with such things.

A couple months later, my mom was back at work, where she stayed until retiring at the end of 2011 at the age of 74. She's now probably healthier than she's been in years. You can't tell she ever had a stroke.

Here's hoping Dusty has a recovery that rivals my mom's.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?