Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

Re: Dusty may have pneumonia

I don't want to sound morbid but I wonder if this is a reason why his contract hasn't been extended. If he's had this irregular heartbeat for some time now, perhaps he is going to manage through the post-season and then retire (hopefully) as a World Series champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't want to sound morbid but I wonder if this is a reason why his contract hasn't been extended. If he's had this irregular heartbeat for some time now, perhaps he is going to manage through the post-season and then retire (hopefully) as a World Series champion.
    I thought about that too. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he would hang it up after this season. I'm sure he's financially set for his life. He may just want to take it easy now. Maybe do work for ESPN or MLB Network to be in the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not morbid at all, and I thought of it too as well when it came to light. Though I'm sure it might not be the only reason...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I take it we're not expecting Dusty back in the dugout tonight?

I think it would be next to impossible for Dusty to walk away from managing without a World Series. Hopefully we just get that taken care of now.

Local 12 reporting that he had a mini-stroke in Chicago. This would explain the moderately long hospital stay.

EDIT: Fay reporting this as well. Also saying Dusty will not return tonight (Tuesday); Speier will manage again.

Last edited by Redsfan320; 09-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...d-mini-stroke/

Dusty Baker suffered a mini-stroke as he was being discharged from Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago) last Friday, the Reds said today. He immediately was treated by the hospital’s stroke team, which minimized the effects of the stroke.

Baker returned to Cincinnati Sunday and his condition has improved dramatically, the team said. Baker is expected to make a full recovery and return to the dugout, possibly as soon as the season’s final series in St. Louis Oct. 1-3.

More details to come.
    Mark Sheldon
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/...s-mini-stroke/
    Baker suffered “mini stroke”
    Reds manager Dusty Baker revealed on Tuesday that he suffered a “mini-stroke” on Friday as he was being discharged from a Chicago hospital.

Baker was initially admitted last Wednesday and diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, also known as an irregular heartbeat.

Chris Speier is managing the team at least through this weekend’s series at Pittsburgh. Baker is at the ballpark today but is not meeting with reporters. The club held a team meetings this afternoon.

“He did come down and address the team and looked great,” Speier said. “He lost a lot of water weight. He’s anxious, but again it’s one of those situations where I know today that I’m going to manage tonight and I’ll probably manage, at this point, probably through Pittsburgh. Then the plan I believe is, he’s going to rejoin the team in St. Louis.”

Here is the full statement from Baker and the Reds:

While in Chicago on Wednesday, Reds manager Dusty Baker was admitted to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, commonly referred to as an irregular heartbeat. As he was being discharged on Friday, he suffered a mini-stroke and immediately was treated by the hospital’s stroke team, which minimized the effects of the stroke.

Dusty returned to Cincinnati on Sunday, and his condition has improved dramatically. His Cincinnati neurologist, Dr. Joseph Broderick, and cardiologists, Dr. Dean Kereiakes and Dr. Daniel Beyerbach, expect Dusty to make a full recovery and return to the dugout, possibly as soon as the season’s final series next week in St. Louis.

Dusty said, “While at Wrigley Field I was blessed to have our trainer, Paul Lessard, have the good sense to call in Cubs team physician Dr. Stephen Adams, who examined me in the clubhouse, immediately determined how serious by condition was and personally rushed me to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Dr. Broderick and Dr. Kereiakes are going to make sure I’m ready to handle the duties of managing before I return full time. My family and I are very grateful for the support we’ve received the past few days from Mr. Castellini and our ownership group, Walt, our friends, the baseball family and especially Reds fans. I’m feeling much better, and it’s great being back here in Cincinnati. Chris Speier and my staff are doing a terrific job, and I look forward to getting back to the dugout.”
    Last edited by klw; 09-25-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Oh wow. Get well soon, Dusty! We need you out there!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Yeah, this is Dusty's last stand I think. Wow. I did not see that coming.

That explains a lot.

Doesn't sound good. Hope the team rally's around Dusty. Prayers to Dusty and his family for a healthy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah, this is Dusty's last stand I think. Wow. I did not see that coming.
    Sadly I agree.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It all makes sense now. Never bought the whole keeping him hospitalized as a precaution bit considering the unusually long length of the stay.

Get well soon, Dusty. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Last edited by Larkin Fan; 09-25-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Oh my. Hope he gets very well very soon.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?