Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 85

Thread: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

  1. #46
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,105

    Re: Dusty may have pneumonia

    The pressure of managing and the rigors of traveling have taken their toll on Dusty. This "scare" may have been the wake up call that baseball just is not all that important. He has a young son and a family that I'm sure he'd rather be around.

    Getting off of planes at 3AM, a train wreck of sleep patterns, answering the same questions everyday to media, trying to win in the big leagues, it just goes on and on. There is a reason that they call it the "grind."

    LaRussa was smart enough to go. Leyland will not be far behind. Cox had enough and so did Gaston. Even Francona realized he needed a break. Sometimes it's just not all it's cracked up to be.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Dusty may have pneumonia

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    The pressure of managing and the rigors of traveling have taken their toll on Dusty. This "scare" may have been the wake up call that baseball just is not all that important. He has a young son and a family that I'm sure he'd rather be around.

    Getting off of planes at 3AM, a train wreck of sleep patterns, answering the same questions everyday to media, trying to win in the big leagues, it just goes on and on. There is a reason that they call it the "grind."

    LaRussa was smart enough to go. Leyland will not be far behind. Cox had enough and so did Gaston. Even Francona realized he needed a break. Sometimes it's just not all it's cracked up to be.
    Well said.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #48
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,447

    Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    Sounds like his condition is a lot more serious than we thought. In any case, I figured this deserved a separate thread, as it now has major consequences for the next few weeks and, potentially, the playoffs as well. Obviously, best wishes to him for speedy recovery.

    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin
    Last edited by RedEye; 09-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  5. #49
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    Wow! Best wishes to him, for sure

  6. #50
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,250

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    I'm asking this question seriously/medically, not callously. What in the world is a "mini-stroke"? A stroke is a clot or hemmorrage (I can't spell that and I'm too lazy to look it up) that prevents blood flow to the brain, right? So, without getting into too much detail, can anybody explain what condition has the qualification of "mini"? Is it a partial blockage?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  7. #51
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm asking this question seriously/medically, not callously. What in the world is a "mini-stroke"? A stroke is a clot or hemmorrage (I can't spell that and I'm too lazy to look it up) that prevents blood flow to the brain, right? So, without getting into too much detail, can anybody explain what condition has the qualification of "mini"? Is it a partial blockage?
    A-Fib (the irregular heart beat Dusty has) can cause blood clots. Those clots can cause a lot of trouble. If they lodge in the brain, it's a stroke. In the vessels of the heart, then it's a heart attack or MI. In the lungs, it's called a pulmonary embolism.

    Mini, of course, just means small- no major deficits. Sometimes, mini strokes are called TIA's (transient ischemic episodes), not sure if Dusty had that or not. Someone recognized it very early on, because he was still in the hospital, and it was treated, most probably with some "clot busting" drugs, and thankfully resolved. Dusty is going to be on some heavy duty blood thinners from here on out.

  8. #52
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,250

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    A-Fib (the irregular heart beat Dusty has) can cause blood clots. Those clots can cause a lot of trouble. If they lodge in the brain, it's a stroke. In the vessels of the heart, then it's a heart attack or MI. In the lungs, it's called a pulmonary embolism.

    Mini, of course, just means small- no major deficits. Sometimes, mini strokes are called TIA's (transient ischemic episodes), not sure if Dusty had that or not. Someone recognized it very early on, because he was still in the hospital, and it was treated, most probably with some "clot busting" drugs, and thankfully resolved. Dusty is going to be on some heavy duty blood thinners from here on out.
    That is just enough detail to answer my question and make me only a little light-headed. Thanks

    Very good to hear they caught it early and can keep an eye on it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  9. #53
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,597

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    Best wishes to Dusty on a speedy and complete recovery!
    Last edited by klw; 09-25-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling

  10. #54
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,854

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    These games don't feel the same without Dusty, hope he's back for the playoffs
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  11. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    I've not always been a fan of Dusty's managerial style, but there's not a better baseball guy than Dsuty. He's also a fine family man. Best wishes to him and my prayers are with him for a full and speedy recovery.

  12. #56
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,678

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    I know the guy gets a ton of crap here for his lineups and in game managing at times but hopefully we can all agree that Dusty is a pretty great guy overall and wish him a speedy recovery. I'm so glad he was well taken care of by all the doctors and the Reds medical staff when they were in Chicago. This Reds team doesn't feel quite the same without Dusty although the guys are doing an awesome job for the most part. I can tell the guys really want Dusty back though so hopefully they just keep working hard and winning for their manager.

    Get well soon Dusty!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  13. #57
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,172

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    Dusty's condition is serious. It's really alarming that a man so young is having these problems. I mentioned this to my doctor today, and he said that Dusty has to be really careful from here on out. Blood thinners are a priority and less stress is recommended.

    Wouldn't surprise me if he retires at the end of the season, but I hope not. No one should retire before they are ready. I don't think he's ready. He drives me nuts, but I hope he gets well, and manages for years to come.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  14. #58
    Red's fan mbgrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,061

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    I met Dusty at spring training in Florida several years ago, and he signed autographs for my kids. He was very nice, and was happy to chat with all the fans. He is great guy, and I wish him a speedy and full recovery. Get well soon!
    __________________
    “A healthy Reds team is a strong Reds team"

  15. #59
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,172

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    I met Dusty at the Reds Caravan in Charleston, WV in 2010. He was more than friendly and signed. I even told him tat was the year, and he pumped his fist and shakedown my hand.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  16. #60
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

    I wonder what the chances are Dusty won't be back this year?

    Unfortunately I think it is very possible.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25