Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should be the 24th player added to the postseason roster?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tony Cingrani

1 2.70%
  • Logan Ondrusek

2 5.41%
  • Alfredo Simon

3 8.11%
  • Miguel Cairo

4 10.81%
  • Didi Gregorius

10 27.03%
  • Devon Mesoraco

1 2.70%
  • Wilson Valdez

16 43.24%

Thread: Reds Postseason Roster: Spot #24

Reds Postseason Roster: Spot #24

Arredondo added as the 11th pitcher, so we're at:

Pitchers (11)- Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, LeCure, Leake, Arredondo

Catchers (2)- Hanigan, Navarro

Infielders (5)- Votto, Phillips, Rolen, Cozart, Frazier

Outfielders (5)- Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey, Paul
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds Postseason Roster: Spot #24

Gotta be a guy who plays SS.

How can Cairo make this roster?

I missed that we didn't have a 2nd SS yet. Yes, I would Valdez on the roster over Cairo (and Didi) if that were the choice.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I am voting for Simon. I can't see this roster without him. The middle IF would probably take up the final spot.

I voted Gregorious. He's a better fielder than Valdez and he's at least equal if not better with the bat. I know he has limited playing experience but his the best option for utility infielder. If you want experience I think Cairo is a better option and he will be my next vote.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Missed out on the earlier voting - pretty decent so far. I'd stock the pen by adding Simon & Cingrani (another lefty who misses bats) and leave Leake off. I'd take Did as the backup SS, but don't see the Reds doing that to Valdez. Don't see them leaving Cairo off either. I'm guessing they take Cario instead of a 12th pitcher (Cingrani).

Mine:

IF: Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Frazier, Gregorious
    OF: Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce Heisey, Paul
    C: Hanigan, Navarro

Rotation: Cueto, Arroyo, Latos, Bailey
    Pen: Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Hoover, Arredondo, Simon, Lecure, Cingrani

The Reds:

IF: Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Frazier, Cairo, Valdez
    OF: Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce Heisey, Paul
    C: Hanigan, Navarro

Rotation: Cueto, Arroyo, Latos, Bailey
    Pen: Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Arredondo, Simon, Lecure, Leake
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Need Valdez's versatility on the roster. Plus, I have this gut feeling that he's going to have a big hit in one of the playoff games, after having a pretty crappy year at the plate. Call me crazy.

Has to be Valdez. Need a SS. Also, Valdez has playoff experience. Not sure what that means, but I have heard others say it.

If Cingrani were under consideration, I think we would have seen more of him. I am also starting to rethink my earlier vote for Leake. There is no need for a fifth starter unless one goes down. In that case, the pen is deep enough to get through that game and Leake could be added to take the place of the injured starter. Thus, it comes down to who would be most useful as the 25th player, Leake, another reliever, or Cairo.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Need Valdez's versatility on the roster. Plus, I have this gut feeling that he's going to have a big hit in one of the playoff games, after having a pretty crappy year at the plate. Call me crazy.
    FYI I thought and am on record somewhere saying Jonny Gomes was gonna be a hero in the 2010 playoffs. Sometimes best to keep your inside voice to yourself.

Wilson Valdez:
    .197 AVG
    .229 OBP
    .219 SLG (worst in the major leagues*)
    .448 OPS (worst in the major leagues*)
    .203 wOBA (2nd-worst in the major leagues*)
    -0.3 UZR
    -1.2 WAR (5th worst in the major leagues*)

If you voted for him I question your sanity. Maybe some people don't realize just how truly awful he has played this year? I don't care how much experience he has. He has plenty of experience being a terrible player. Even his fielding is bad. He is a huge liability. The Reds have better options as the back-up shortstop (Gregorius, Frazier, Hamilton). Valdez doesn't need to be on the active roster to share his leadership and "clubhouse presence". He broke into the major leagues way back in 2004 and has accumulated a whopping 0.5 WAR in all that time. He is a sub-replacement player -- even a sub-AAA player.

I am sure the Reds will carry his carcass on the postseason roster, presumably out of some sort of twisted loyalty to the major leagues' worst player. Valdez and Cairo will be huge deficiencies for the Reds compared to the other playoff teams' benches. Those guys are worse than dead weight, especially when you have superior players that will be left off the roster because they are young.

Cozart is going to start every game. Valdez will be nothing more than an emergency shortstop and atrocious pinch hitter in the playoffs. The Reds would be better off carrying someone that can get a hit off the bench and use Frazier at shortstop in an emergency or Gregorius if he takes Valdez's place.

*minimum 150 PA

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Wilson Valdez:
    .197 AVG
    .229 OBP
    .219 SLG (worst in the major leagues*)
    .448 OPS (worst in the major leagues*)
    .203 wOBA (2nd-worst in the major leagues*)
    -0.3 UZR
    -1.2 WAR (5th worst in the major leagues*)

If you voted for him I question your sanity. Maybe some people don't realize just how truly awful he has played this year? I don't care how much experience he has. He has plenty of experience being a terrible player. Even his fielding is bad. He is a huge liability. The Reds have better options as the back-up shortstop (Gregorius, Frazier, Hamilton). Valdez doesn't need to be on the active roster to share his leadership and "clubhouse presence". He broke into the major leagues way back in 2004 and has accumulated a whopping 0.5 WAR in all that time. He is a sub-replacement player -- even a sub-AAA player.

I am sure the Reds will carry his carcass on the postseason roster, presumably out of some sort of twisted loyalty to the major leagues' worst player. Valdez and Cairo will be huge deficiencies for the Reds compared to the other playoff teams' benches. Those guys are worse than dead weight, especially when you have superior players that will be left off the roster because they are young.

Cozart is going to start every game. Valdez will be nothing more than an emergency shortstop and atrocious pinch hitter in the playoffs. The Reds would be better off carrying someone that can get a hit off the bench and use Frazier at shortstop in an emergency or Gregorius if he takes Valdez's place.

*minimum 150 PA
    Very valid argument. I don't know the whole story on Didi, but I would be looking for any reason to keep him over WV.

Valdez is the best bunter on the team and has been there before. Gotta keep him over Gregorius, who can't hit either. Neither is a threat to steal a base.

That said, I voted Simon this time...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    He broke into the major leagues way back in 2004 and has accumulated a whopping 0.5 WAR in all that time. He is a sub-replacement player -- even a sub-AAA player.
    If I understand WAR correctly, with a lifetime positive WAR, wouldn't that mean he has been, for his career, a marginally better than average (very marginally) replacement player? Wouldn't a sub-replacement plauer have a -WAR?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If I understand WAR correctly, with a lifetime positive WAR, wouldn't that mean he has been, for his career, a marginally better than average (very marginally) replacement player? Wouldn't a sub-replacement plauer have a -WAR?
    Maybe if you want to count his "production" from a few years ago when he was generating slightly positive WAR. If you want to look at this year he is sub-sub-sub-replacement. So is Miguel Cairo. Both are among the 5-10 worst players in the major leagues. They are not worthy of being in the major leagues, certainly not on a post-season roster. It is embarassing that those two guys are on the Reds.

This roster has 11 pitchers already. There's really no need for a 12th pitcher. If there needs to be an innings eater, you have Leake who can also hit for himself.

So as much as Simon or Cingrani may be deserving of a spot, it's a waste of a roster spot with the current configuration.

That leaves Cairo, Gregorius, Mesoraco, and Valdez.

Valdez plays the most positions, all acceptably. He is a good bunter.

Mes has barely played in a month. The argument for him is he's an emergency catcher freeing up Navarro to pinch hit.

Cairo has been ice cold all year and doesn't play much defense.

Didi seems basically to play only SS, has zero experience. Maybe hits a tick better than Valdez.

For all of Valdez' deficits, I think Wilson's the guy for this spot. Versatility, bunting, experience.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Turn Off Ads?