Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

  1. #1
    Public Enemy #1 Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,265

    Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    If you care about this sort of thing

    The Astros will name Nationals third-base coach Bo Porter their next manager, FOXSports.com reports.
    Porter was previously a finalist for managerial gigs in Pittsburgh and Florida. He'll have his work cut out for him in Houston, particularly since the Astros are moving to the AL West next year, but he's highly thought of by a lot of organizations and seemingly due for this chance.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,712

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    May God have mercy on his soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  4. #3
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    He's been mentioned in the past for a few other jobs. He's got quite a task facing him though. Good luck.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. #4
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    The Astros are 18-62 since June 28th. Ouch. But I'm in the group who likes what Jeff Luhnow is doing.

  6. #5
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    He used to be a running back for the University of Iowa. Pretty good too, IIRC.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. #6
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    I've been to quite a few Astros games this year since I live in Houston now.

    I've never seen any organization more enthusiastic about educating fans about all things sabermetric. Very refreshing balance, not talking down to the fans, just a super advanced approach to understanding the game.

    The team on the field now sucks beyond anything I've ever seen. But they have a nice park (with the exception of that short left field porch), very easy in and out, especially since about 40,000 fans are disguised as empty seats for most games.

    If the new owner can build a winner, Houston will pack the park, as they did in 2005. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to bring in fans.

    The last few times I went to MinuteMaid Park, I bought a $5 ticket, sat in the super nice resturant area in left field watching batting practice and eating a fantastic burger, and then walked right down behind the dugout into the $100 seats with nobody even looking twice. I think they're so happy to see ANYONE there that they don't care.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  8. #7
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,230

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I've been to quite a few Astros games this year since I live in Houston now.

    I've never seen any organization more enthusiastic about educating fans about all things sabermetric. Very refreshing balance, not talking down to the fans, just a super advanced approach to understanding the game.

    The team on the field now sucks beyond anything I've ever seen. But they have a nice park (with the exception of that short left field porch), very easy in and out, especially since about 40,000 fans are disguised as empty seats for most games.

    If the new owner can build a winner, Houston will pack the park, as they did in 2005. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to bring in fans.

    The last few times I went to MinuteMaid Park, I bought a $5 ticket, sat in the super nice resturant area in left field watching batting practice and eating a fantastic burger, and then walked right down behind the dugout into the $100 seats with nobody even looking twice. I think they're so happy to see ANYONE there that they don't care.
    Don't forget that monstrosity in center. Tal's hill is an abomination. But overall, I fully agree with you on the club/stadium & town. All in all, heading in the right direction to be sure.

    And the empty park part...once they start winning, the fans come out in droves. Very fair weather fans in Houston.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  9. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,106

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't forget that monstrosity in center. Tal's hill is an abomination. But overall, I fully agree with you on the club/stadium & town. All in all, heading in the right direction to be sure.

    And the empty park part...once they start winning, the fans come out in droves. Very fair weather fans in Houston.
    Apparently ownership has been talking about removing the hill before next season. I really hope so (and the flag pole too). It is just crazy to think that it is out there.

  10. #9
    Member durl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nashvull
    Posts
    1,749

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    And in the AL West, the Astro's management may consider raising the left-field wall another 60 feet or so.

  11. #10
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,728

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Apparently ownership has been talking about removing the hill before next season. I really hope so (and the flag pole too). It is just crazy to think that it is out there.
    Exactly why is it even out there?

    Why did MLB approve it?

    It looks stupid.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  12. #11
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Exactly why is it even out there?
    It's actually a homage to Crosley Field's LF incline. Tal Smith, who ran the Astros then, got his start working for the Reds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #12
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,877

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Maybe he can add Luke Hudson as a pitching coach...

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,696

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    I like it ....i like the left field fence and the weird 90 degree angle --the deep center field. i grew up in the 70's and by about 1979- there would be a game on tv and i couldn't tell where it was televised from. I like it...it's good to have one goofy park.

  15. #14
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,230

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Apparently ownership has been talking about removing the hill before next season. I really hope so (and the flag pole too). It is just crazy to think that it is out there.
    Wow. First I've heard of that. Where are you getting that Doug? You'd think it would be on the news or something around here...but to be honest, I hear more Sugar Land Skeeters updates lately than Astros on local news. LOL.

    ~edit~ I just found several articles about that Doug. It seems odd that they'd consider taking out the train too? I'll be honest, the fans love that thing. Especially the kids. I see no reason to remove the train.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-27-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  16. #15
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,230

    Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I like it ....i like the left field fence and the weird 90 degree angle --the deep center field. i grew up in the 70's and by about 1979- there would be a game on tv and i couldn't tell where it was televised from. I like it...it's good to have one goofy park.
    I love the ballpark, and even the odd dimensions. And as much as the crawford boxes usually end up pissing me off, I like that aspect too. But that hill is just another injury waiting to happen IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25