Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

If you care about this sort of thing

The Astros will name Nationals third-base coach Bo Porter their next manager, FOXSports.com reports.
    Porter was previously a finalist for managerial gigs in Pittsburgh and Florida. He'll have his work cut out for him in Houston, particularly since the Astros are moving to the AL West next year, but he's highly thought of by a lot of organizations and seemingly due for this chance.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bo Porter tapped as new Astros manager

May God have mercy on his soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

He's been mentioned in the past for a few other jobs. He's got quite a task facing him though. Good luck.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The Astros are 18-62 since June 28th. Ouch. But I'm in the group who likes what Jeff Luhnow is doing.

He used to be a running back for the University of Iowa. Pretty good too, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I've been to quite a few Astros games this year since I live in Houston now.

I've never seen any organization more enthusiastic about educating fans about all things sabermetric. Very refreshing balance, not talking down to the fans, just a super advanced approach to understanding the game.

The team on the field now sucks beyond anything I've ever seen. But they have a nice park (with the exception of that short left field porch), very easy in and out, especially since about 40,000 fans are disguised as empty seats for most games.

If the new owner can build a winner, Houston will pack the park, as they did in 2005. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to bring in fans.

The last few times I went to MinuteMaid Park, I bought a $5 ticket, sat in the super nice resturant area in left field watching batting practice and eating a fantastic burger, and then walked right down behind the dugout into the $100 seats with nobody even looking twice. I think they're so happy to see ANYONE there that they don't care.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I've been to quite a few Astros games this year since I live in Houston now.

I've never seen any organization more enthusiastic about educating fans about all things sabermetric. Very refreshing balance, not talking down to the fans, just a super advanced approach to understanding the game.

The team on the field now sucks beyond anything I've ever seen. But they have a nice park (with the exception of that short left field porch), very easy in and out, especially since about 40,000 fans are disguised as empty seats for most games.

If the new owner can build a winner, Houston will pack the park, as they did in 2005. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to bring in fans.

The last few times I went to MinuteMaid Park, I bought a $5 ticket, sat in the super nice resturant area in left field watching batting practice and eating a fantastic burger, and then walked right down behind the dugout into the $100 seats with nobody even looking twice. I think they're so happy to see ANYONE there that they don't care.
    Don't forget that monstrosity in center. Tal's hill is an abomination. But overall, I fully agree with you on the club/stadium & town. All in all, heading in the right direction to be sure.

And the empty park part...once they start winning, the fans come out in droves. Very fair weather fans in Houston.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't forget that monstrosity in center. Tal's hill is an abomination. But overall, I fully agree with you on the club/stadium & town. All in all, heading in the right direction to be sure.

And the empty park part...once they start winning, the fans come out in droves. Very fair weather fans in Houston.
    Apparently ownership has been talking about removing the hill before next season. I really hope so (and the flag pole too). It is just crazy to think that it is out there.

And in the AL West, the Astro's management may consider raising the left-field wall another 60 feet or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Apparently ownership has been talking about removing the hill before next season. I really hope so (and the flag pole too). It is just crazy to think that it is out there.
    Exactly why is it even out there?

Why did MLB approve it?

It looks stupid.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Exactly why is it even out there?
    It's actually a homage to Crosley Field's LF incline. Tal Smith, who ran the Astros then, got his start working for the Reds.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Maybe he can add Luke Hudson as a pitching coach...

I like it ....i like the left field fence and the weird 90 degree angle --the deep center field. i grew up in the 70's and by about 1979- there would be a game on tv and i couldn't tell where it was televised from. I like it...it's good to have one goofy park.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wow. First I've heard of that. Where are you getting that Doug? You'd think it would be on the news or something around here...but to be honest, I hear more Sugar Land Skeeters updates lately than Astros on local news. LOL.

~edit~ I just found several articles about that Doug. It seems odd that they'd consider taking out the train too? I'll be honest, the fans love that thing. Especially the kids. I see no reason to remove the train.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-27-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I like it ....i like the left field fence and the weird 90 degree angle --the deep center field. i grew up in the 70's and by about 1979- there would be a game on tv and i couldn't tell where it was televised from. I like it...it's good to have one goofy park.
    I love the ballpark, and even the odd dimensions. And as much as the crawford boxes usually end up pissing me off, I like that aspect too. But that hill is just another injury waiting to happen IMO.

Turn Off Ads?