Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Obscure Reds Trivia

Obscure Reds Trivia

I was just looking back on some stats from the past few years, and I was noticing how a lot of players will be nearly forgotten, even by some of the most die-hard of fans. But is RedsZone's memory better than that? I have included hints for obscure Reds from each of the past 10 years. Can you guess them? No cheating.

2012 My claim to fame is being traded for both Brad Lidge and Miguel Tejada.

2011 I was once considered the #4 prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America.

2010 Soon to be a free agent, I am the oldest rookie in the organization. I was once traded for Randy Wolf.

2009 I was sent to Cincinnati to mitigate a salary dump that needed for the player in the Sean Casey salary dump.

2008 I went almost 7 years between Major League appearances.

2007 I'm a former rule 5 pick who was called up when Alex Gonzalez went on the bereavement list.

2006 I am the second-to-last Red to wear #00 (Rick White), and my only Reds appearance was as a pinch runner.

2005 I got a September call-up at 21 years old and haven't played above AA since.

2004 I'm a former 1st round draft pick who never pitched more than 1 inning as a Red and walked at least 1 batter in every appearance.

2003 As a 28-year-old rookie, I played in 2 games. I struck out in both appearances and never fielded a ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Obscure Reds Trivia

Man, those are tough. I think 2008 is either (can't remember his first name) Pettyjohn or Tom Shearn.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Forget remembering, I'll need a few hours to research these!

2012 - I'll guess Mike Costanzo, he seems like a good bet for most obscure player when looking back on this team
    2011 - Don't know
    2010 - Don't know
    2009 - Are you looking for Dave Williams, or was somebody else sent along? The question is worded a little awkwardly
    2008 - First thought was Aaron Holbert, but I thought he went longer between games so I'll go Adam Pettyjohn
    2007 - Enrique Cruz? Hope I have that name right
    2006 - Brandon Watson
    2005 - Miguel Perez
    2004 - Joe Valentine maybe?
    2003 - Jim Chamblee. I almost took that as a user name before settling on Serafini.

Guessing Jeremy Hermida for 2011...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

No. 2 must be Jeremy Hermida.

Just a few left.

2012 Mike Costanzo My claim to fame is being traded for both Brad Lidge and Miguel Tejada.

2011 Jeremy Hermida I was once considered the #4 prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America.

2010 I signed mid-season to play in two games before being shut down the rest of the year. I have pitched in 10 different organizations.

2009 I was sent to Cincinnati to mitigate a salary dump that needed for the player in the Sean Casey salary dump.
    Hint 2: the guy the Reds got for Dave Williams.

2008 Adam Pettyjohn I went almost 7 years between Major League appearances.

2007 Enrique Cruz I'm a former rule 5 pick who was called up when Alex Gonzalez went on the bereavement list.

2006 Brandon Watson I am the second-to-last Red to wear #00 (Rick White), and my only Reds appearance was as a pinch runner.

2005 Miguel Perez I got a September call-up at 21 years old and haven't played above AA since.

2004 I'm a former 1st round draft pick who never pitched more than 1 inning as a Red and walked at least 1 batter in every appearance.
    Hint 2: While with the White Sox, I was once the #63 prospect according to Baseball America.

2003 Jim Chamblee As a 28-year-old rookie, I played in 2 games. I struck out in both appearances and never fielded a ball.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 09-27-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Changed the clue for 2010.

I cheated and I don't know if one of the 3 missing guys qualifies for the year you have him listed.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I cheated and I don't know if one of the 3 missing guys qualifies for the year you have him listed.
    As soon as you said that, I knew exactly who it was. I had Chad Reineke pitching for the Reds in 2010 instead of 2011 (time flies). Okay, here's a new one:

2010 I signed mid-season to play in two games before being shut down the rest of the year. I have pitched in 10 different organizations.

Russ Springer

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Russ Springer
    2004 - Aaron Myette...the white sox clue gave it away for me, since imy brother and I would also talk about each others teams prospects and he was a sox fan
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Robert Manuel is the 2009 one, right? Made a few appearances for us, then traded to Seattle for the immortal Wladimir Balentien IIRC.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Yup. You got 'em all. I might come up with more later.

Turn Off Ads?